Been getting crazy battery life since installing 8.1

dmm96452

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The discharge speed has been coming down (had the app for a while so the average doesn't change quickly) for a couple of weeks now since I had a WiFi issue that was eating battery up. That seems to be resolved and I have been going 2-3 days without needing to recharge. To be fair I am not a heavy user but I am still impressed.

Battery.png

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is great.

Only 2 years ago, a smart phone meant just accepting battery life stunk, with the only exception being BlackBerry. Now, we are seeing more and more that battery tech and the software design of OS's are starting to catch up with that.

I would LOVE to go 2 days on a charge. My L920 does eat battery charge quicker then any other device I have ever had, so I am looking excitedly to the WP 8.1 update.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
WTF. Thats just plain crazy battery life. I've even heard some 1520's going 4-5 days without a charge !

I get about 12 hours of screen on time with my 1520 so depending on usage o get between 3 and 5 days out of each charge.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140403_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140403_0001.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 50

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The discharge speed has been coming down (had the app for a while so the average doesn't change quickly) for a couple of weeks now since I had a WiFi issue that was eating battery up. That seems to be resolved and I have been going 2-3 days without needing to recharge. To be fair I am not a heavy user but I am still impressed.

View attachment 68808

How many apps do you have installed on your device? One of the threads I was reading over the weekend suggested uninstalling unused apps which I had a bunch of so I did It freed up storage space and along with being more careful getting the 1520 into the case without the camera app starting or being started by the case flap has settled the battery drain quickly. I tend to hook it up either at the office or home are car if its draining more than I'd like. Its a habit I have been doing since the early days of converged devices/smartphones like the treo 600. Too many chargers may not be enough.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My own experience with my Lumia Icon is that it simply sips on the battery. Never drinks. I've gone a solid day (9hrs) of mobile hotspot use and still have about 15% life left. The phone is excellent in the battery department. 😊

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Granted I have Data Sense disabling background Cellular data, I recently went to an out of town wedding. After ~26hrs I had 50% battery left and I was messaging people, snapping pictures, etc... Had Wifi at the hotel and Wedding Hall, so there was still background data going on. I was ecstatic compared to what I'm used to on my 1020. I had fully planned on using my 1020 on vacations, for the camera and incase I lost my device (my 1520 is an ATT Next device, needs to be returned), but now I don't know.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
always the same...
"LOOK, my phone last for xxx million hours!"

Well, mine too, if i dont use it!
I got the 620 (ok, with a better battery in it), if i dont use it i have the same: 3 days and 50% left. And i dont close apps or care about background blabla, location is always on!

BUT: If i use it, its gone after few hours. Like every phone, there is no special longlife-wonder-phone!

Slavik Petrakov

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea..no you are wrong.

The Lumia 1520 has the best battery life of any phone I have used to date. I get on average 2 days with heavy usage. This is the first phone I don't charge immediately upon getting home at night, and feel confident it will work all the way till next evening with heavy usage.

I have EVERYTHING turned on, location, fb, etc.. Literally nothing turned off. I use LTE all day mainly as well and bluetooth in car. Hell I dont even turn off bluetooth or wifi even if there is non around.

620 is NOT 1520. 1520 has an absolutely massive battery and it shows.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, 1520's battery was awesome, under 8.0, but it's EPIC under 8.1 - the second dp update.

I've just driven from Paris to Calais (3 hours) and am for and a half on the ferry AND then a further one and a half hour to London and home: Drive + ALL the way, with a Bluetooth headset - 56% battery left! Now I had the screen set to medium brightness but hey. EPIC. That 3000mah battery is brilliant.

subcon959

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's kinda weird, when I first installed 8.1 my battery drain was horrific the first day or two. So much so that I was considering reverting back.

Then, all of a sudden, it drastically improved. I didn't disable anything or change any settings that I was using on 8.0. It just kinda self-calibrated and now I'm getting at least 2 days worth before I need to stick it on the charger.

Considering the screen and power of this thing, that's pretty incredible. I'm not a moderate-user either so it's even more impressive.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You guys must not be using your phones very much. My phone comes off the charger at 8:00 am every morning and by 5:00 pm, I'm at ~50% charge. Lots of phone calls, texting, 3 exchange accounts, some navigation using Waze, some Nokia MixRadio Bluetooth audio streaming, and not to mention the 15 apps I have running in the background. If I use it hard, by the end of the night, I'll be at ~20%. Battery Saver will usually report around 22-24 hours in the morning.

I'm actually very happy with my battery life. With my 920, it would have to be on the charger by 5:00 pm..

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm so amazed on how good battery lifes you all get. My 925 is a whole another story. Watching Netflix is big decision to make because I can barely watch more than 3 hours and IE kills it around the same time. I said I'm a medium-heavy user and after waking up at 9 and going to bed at 10 my battery would most like be dead. I have to charge it through out the day which is a pain. I do feel like the battery is starting to get better (I have 8.1 since the first day) I'm hoping after a little bit more tweaking ill be able to achieve battery like all of yours

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm so amazed on how good battery lifes you all get. My 925 is a whole another story. Watching Netflix is big decision to make because I can barely watch more than 3 hours and IE kills it around the same time. I said I'm a medium-heavy user and after waking up at 9 and going to bed at 10 my battery would most like be dead. I have to charge it through out the day which is a pain. I do feel like the battery is starting to get better (I have 8.1 since the first day) I'm hoping after a little bit more tweaking ill be able to achieve battery like all of yours

925 will never have the battery that the 1520 has

With my 925's I can get around 5 hours screen one time depending on what I'm doing. I don't use my phones for gaming.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
always the same...
"LOOK, my phone last for xxx million hours!"

Well, mine too, if i dont use it!
I got the 620 (ok, with a better battery in it), if i dont use it i have the same: 3 days and 50% left. And i dont close apps or care about background blabla, location is always on!

BUT: If i use it, its gone after few hours. Like every phone, there is no special longlife-wonder-phone!

I try to judge by screen on time if I can. I have kept an account of my screen on time on for a couple of discharges and he least I got was 10 hours and the most was 14 however I only use my phone for web browsing, email, music and location on all the time for Cortana and maps (not satnav)

I never turn Bluetooth, data and wifi off.

JTDraper

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This is real. I am a HEAVY user. Phone, text, Skype, IE, numerous alarms, Weave, Bing News, Podcasts and Xbox Music all day. Over 250 apps installed. Yesterday, throughout all that use, my 1520.3 consumed 1% per hour. ONE PERCENT.

wp_ss_20140611_0001[1].png

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I suspect some of the batteries with smaller runtimes these days are due to the phone batteries being a couple of years old and not holding the same charge. Latest 8.1 is the best so far here - got a couple of days with light use which was a first for my 920.

I also haven't noticed it burn its way through the battery. Yet.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also to boot the 1520 has an insanely large battery compared to the other phones in the WP's line up (though it does have a biggest screen). The battery life is probably down to the improved efficiency of the snapdragon 800 SOC compared to the older SOC's.. Also MS did say they believe they can make current smartphones last a week with tweaks, so therefore the Cyan update should make the 1520 even more epic in regards to battery life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte