Benchmarks are out - Surface 3's performance is slightly better than HP Stream 11

howie

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the 7140, very nice tablet but crap keyboard it comes with. I returned it the day after my surface 3 arrived but miss it. It was definitely faster and didn't have slow charging issues like my S3 (not to mention real ssd vs this emmc).
I would say test it out at this 499 price which I'm sure is just so they can push something to compete with S3 on price.

But back on topic. Every device will have areas that they excel in or fall short in. I think the S3 excels in many areas and can justify the 599 it is for me.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
If screen size is what you care about, then compare it to the Galaxy Tab S 10.5, which has a BETTER display than the Surface 3, and is only $400.

I understand that they aren't comparable devices, I never meant to compare one device outright to another, even though people keep insinuating that's what I'm doing.

But if you want to find devices with a better display AND CHEAPER, they're out there. If you want to find devices that perform faster AND CHEAPER, they're out there. If you want to find a device in the same class that blows away the Surface when it comes to performance for the price, they're out there.

I just check with Sammy and it has an MSRP of $499 with only 16GB Storage:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 16GB, Dazzling White

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the 7140, very nice tablet but crap keyboard it comes with. I returned it the day after my surface 3 arrived but miss it. It was definitely faster and didn't have slow charging issues like my S3 (not to mention real ssd vs this emmc).
I would say test it out at this 499 price which I'm sure is just so they can push something to compete with S3 on price.

But back on topic. Every device will have areas that they excel in or fall short in. I think the S3 excels in many areas and can justify the 599 it is for me.

Good thing there is such a thing as third party Bluetooth keyboards. The fact that they include the keyboard for free makes it excusable. The Surface 3 with 4 GB RAM and keyboard comes to $730. That is not justifiable to me.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Learn the definition of MSRP.

Who cares about MSRP when I can buy it for $400 on Amazon or any other retailer?

That's like pulling up synthetic benchmarks and saying "Your computer may be faster in the real world, but mine has better benchmarks!"

Oh, and MSRP means Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price. Emphasis on SUGGESTED. Meaning, that's not what retailers have to sell it for. Comparing MSRP to MSRP is an asinine argument, when the retail prices are completely different.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Who cares about MSRP when I can buy it for $400 on Amazon or any other retailer?

That's like pulling up synthetic benchmarks and saying "Your computer may be faster in the real world, but mine has better benchmarks!"

Oh, and MSRP means Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price. Emphasis on SUGGESTED. Meaning, that's not what retailers have to sell it for. Comparing MSRP to MSRP is an asinine argument, when the retail prices are completely different.

Manufacturers can only suggest the prices of their products.

The resellers set the prices as determined by their inventory levels and general demands.

If the Surface 3 are flying off the shelves while the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 are stuck in the attic, the resellers would sell the Surface 3 at MSRP and sell the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 below MSRP.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturers can only suggest the prices of their products.

The resellers set the prices as determined by their inventory levels and general demands.

If the Surface 3 are flying off the shelves while the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 are stuck in the attic, the resellers would sell the Surface 3 at MSRP and sell the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 below MSRP.

Nice theory, except it doesn't hold up in the REAL WORLD once again. Case in point, the iPad is the best selling tablet out there, and yet you can find it significantly less than MSRP at many retail stores. Why are they selling it for ~$100 below MSRP if it's in such high demand?

Further proof that MSRP means jack in the real world, so stop trying to compare MSRP to MSRP.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Nice theory, except it doesn't hold up in the REAL WORLD once again. Case in point, the iPad is the best selling tablet out there, and yet you can find it significantly less than MSRP at many retail stores. Why are they selling it for ~$100 below MSRP if it's in such high demand?

Further proof that MSRP means jack in the real world, so stop trying to compare MSRP to MSRP.

You should never take an economics class.

The iPad is selling below MSRP because it has been out in the market for a long time.

Resellers need to get rid of inventory for the new generation.

And if you haven't been paying attention, the demand for the iPad in general has been declining.

The pricings reflect this (lack of) demand.

Last edited:

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Great post. I don't think the heat for the Dell Venue 11 Pro would be an issue for most people in tablet mode though, since while holding the tablet in their hands, they most likely won't be doing anything processor intensive.

Then why are you so focused on the Surface 3's performance? You're willing to let the Dell Venue 11 Pro slide by with its heat but not the Surface 3 despite your statement of "since while holding the tablet in their hands, they most likely won't be doing anything processor intensive." No, that's not a double-standard at all.

I understand that they aren't comparable devices, I never meant to compare one device outright to another, even though people keep insinuating that's what I'm doing.

That's because you keep making outright comparisons. You said "And a $200 Nexus 7 has a better display than the Surface 3." That means you made a direct comparison between at least one aspect of the Nexus 7 to the Surface 3. Again, your double-standards are showing.

Also, I think you're forgetting that students can purchase the Surface 3 for $450 and $550. There's also the Costco bundles and other bundles floating around. You keep mentioning that price comparisons shouldn't rely on the MSRP (even though that represents an even playing field). Alright, that's fine. You also have to take into account what other sites/stores are selling the products for and all special offers. Let's take a look at the Dell Venue 11 that you like so much. It's $699 on Dell's website for the baseline model with 64GB of storage and 4GB of RAM and there's a $749 option with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Just to make things fair, since I purchased a 128GB Surface 3, I'll compare to the 128GB Dell Venue Pro 11.

The price actually decreases to $714 when I "downgrade" to Windows 8.1 instead of 8.1 Pro, adding the cloth keyboard brings it up to $784, the stylus makes it $809, and a year of Office 365 makes the total cost $870. That's direct from their website with all the discounts I can get. I go over to Microsoft's website and load up a 128GB Surface 3, Pen, Type Cover 3, and the Surface comes with a year of Office 365. The total cost is $699, the same as the Costco bundle. The Dell better perform better for an extra $110 but I already know that it's battery life is about the same, the pixel density is less, the color accuracy of the display is less, the Dell active stylus isn't anywhere near the quality of the Surface 3's Pen, and the Dell runs hotter. It might perform better but it's more expensive and has its own set of flaws.

But then again, as you said: " since while holding the tablet in their hands, they most likely won't be doing anything processor intensive." So that extra performance doesn't really matter just as the Dell's extra heat doesn't matter.

exaybachay01

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Good thing there is such a thing as third party Bluetooth keyboards. The fact that they include the keyboard for free makes it excusable. The Surface 3 with 4 GB RAM and keyboard comes to $730. That is not justifiable to me.

But couldn't that apply either way? Say getting a third party keyboard for the Surface 3, to cut down on extraneous costs? If there were any connection issues with the Surface 3 and Bluetooth keyboard, it would be the same as the dv11p, and the "mobile" full keyboard for the device sells for $109-$159. If tomorrow (Saturday) is the last day the device is on sale (again the DV11P 7140 [5y10c]), would THAT be a justifiable purchase once it goes up to $750? I'm just trying to find the common ground.

Also, to re-ask a point, since everyone is looking for truest comparisons (or at least for fun), does anyone have the Best Buy version of the DV11P currently? I did see someone had it then returned it, so can't help us out. Again, I understand some people may not have issues with the heat from the device, but the disconcerting thing was that the head dissipates exactly where you would be holding the device in tablet mode, Unless I were to turn it upside down, which while a minor annoyance, is still an annoyance. Every device is going to have it's quibbles, and as has been mentioned by more than a few people, it comes down to what you are using the device for. What are you using or looking to use a device for? You're a big android user? Go for the Galaxy tab 10.5 or go crazy with the Note pro 12.2 but shell out for accessories. An apple fan? You've got 75 variations on 2 devices (iPad & _Book) to choose from. Windows?...... Hold on a got a checklist for you to fill out so I can narrow it down to a few devices, but let me ask the main few questions: No money, some money or lots of money? Light user, mid-user, power user? You still end up with a plethora of devices regardless of route you are taking.

I'm still trying to find some responses to some of my queries. I found it slightly disappointing that all I got from Geo was "nice post". I don't mean that in any bad way, it was just after seeing lots of people get an in-depth response to short messages, and I got 2-3 sentences after writing an article essentially. Good or bad it's an interesting discussion to have comparing devices, when efforts aren't being turned into personal attacks, one side or the other. I have enjoyed my SP3 so far with it performing very well for the tasks I have needed it to. Yet, as anyone who reads too much about technology and tries out many devices for an uncomfortable amount of time with display models at the Microsoft store, microcenter, best buy and other local electronics store will know, you may still have a pang or buyers remorse during the initial "getting to know you" period. I had done extensive research on all the devices I mentioned before, and it's been strange to see that they're all basically comparative, with a minor design choice here being different, and a small handful of different benchmark numbers that send everyone into a tizzy.

I know this response will invariably be met with a 2-3 word response, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has, or has had, or has looked into any of the devices I had mentioned earlier (T300 Chi, Switch 12, DV11P 7140, M 5Y10 ONLY!)n for the best roundabout comparison of "like" devices, unless that constitutes a completely new thread being created. I understand this moves away from the original base comparison of Stream 11 to S3, but if that's to be the baseline we are striving to get back to, I'd love to go balls out bonkers and allow us to bring the Winbook TW100 into the discussion..... but that way lies madness.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I initially had buyers remorse when I bought the S3, but it was only after I booted up the Surface RT did I appreciate it. Then I booted up my 5 yearly of Core i5 HP pavilion with a hybrid drive. It could handle ore and didn't grunt when I worked on some Acrobat files, but then the fan kicked on I could feel the heat dissipating, and this is when I really appreciated the S3. If I'm going to the coffee shop or on a quick trip and need to get some work done, I grab the S3, and I don't miss my older portables. I have a desktop that is great for long work days. The S3 is a great companion device. It does what 90% of what I used my laptop for and last all day. You can get cheaper. But bow many people get into a Cadillac and grumble that this this g feels like a cheap piece of ****? How many people get into a KIS and say that?

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
... I know this response will invariably be met with a 2-3 word response, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has, or has had, or has looked into any of the devices I had mentioned earlier (T300 Chi, Switch 12, DV11P 7140, M 5Y10 ONLY!)...

so, are you trying to compare the s3's screensize, processor, or overall package to these other computers?

I think you've read the text about the core versus atom. basically, even with a core m, you're going to have more capabilities then with an atom processor. the only trade off is the heat it produces and energy is uses. the core m is the 1st gen core m, so it's next gen will most likely be better(duh). but you've talked about this already, and I don't know what we should answer for you.

The screen sizes are larger. the aspect ratio's are different on the one's your pointing to. I could never go back to any of the 16:9 aspect ratios for a tablet after using my s3. they just feel too awkward. none of the devices, except maybe the dv11 support pen. which for me has become a necessity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre