Bing Search button, a waste?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Local scout, music search, Bing vision, and Bing related news and tools are accessible through the search button. With IE you get the ability to search and visit websites...not the same at all.

What he said. 😊. Pan the screen, lots of different options you don't get with just an ie search.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Local scout, music search, Bing vision, and Bing related news and tools are accessible through the search button. With IE you get the ability to search and visit websites...not the same at all.

Ah, good point. I was specifically thinking of the Search function, since that is what the button is primarily used for, and that is what the icon on it is.
However, those functions you mention don't appear when clicking that search button, they appear only after multiple other interactions, either swipes or clicks. They are also, IMO, accessory functions that have no place being one of only 3 hardware-designated buttons. They would work much better as simple tiles. For example, Internet Explorer, arguably the most crucial app on the phone after the basic phone functions, is a tile, not a hardware button.

It would be interesting to see how many actually use the additional swipe-screens you can access after the Search screen. I can say that in over a year and a half of owning a Windows Phone, I have used those exactly twice - when I first got the phone to look at them, and now that they were pointed out in this thread.

Last edited:

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I started this thread because I'm one of those who dont want the Bing button, and apparently there are enough of 'us':angry: ....... Nevertheless, we have to be realistic and after reading back all the posts, it is clear that too many users want it, so that takes care of that:cry: ........ But my main problem was and still remains, and others share this view, that something has to be done so we dont aciddentally launch Bing all the time .......... 'Learning how to hold the phone with time' as one post replied, reminds me the iPhone signal reception glitch and the tottaly unacceptable identical answer provided by Apple!!!!!! SO, long hold, doubble tap or whatever other solution should be found, and lets hope W 8.1 addresses this issue:smile:.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Its a button on the screen... it doesn't matter what button it is, your going to accidentally hit it no matter what it is. Just hit the back button and you will instantly be back at what you were doing before.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I hit the button accidentally on the 920 more than I ever did on the 900. I use it intentionally often though, along with the Unify app, which does a very good job with searching files on the phone and Google. Bing Search gets most the action though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire