Black update - Lumia 925 Glance peek not working

Romulo_Ferreira

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 925 to Lumia Black yesterday and I guess it's working properly. I didn't use Glance peek before, so I can't say if there is a difference, but in dark and light rooms it has worked as it should. My device is a Brazilian unlocked Lumia 925.

Iacopo Pace

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I started using the Interval mode: it turns off the screen the same way as peek does, when there is no light, but waving over the sensor works every time for me! It just stays on a little longer when the cell is in full light, but I think it's worth giving it a try! ;)

rbrtjr

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is NOT about Glance Background indeed and the wierdest thing is that Glance actually stays active. Tapping twice in the "black" screen the lock screen is displayed, proving that glance is actually running.
I guess this update shoud be called "LUMIA BLACK SCREEN UPDATE" hehe.

Malcome Larcens

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, here is an update on my earlier posting, thanks to a member of this forum I found the solution to the problem.
The SIM card and phone are both fine except that after Black update the phone doesn't read 3G SIM cards anymore, that's why it still worked on my 808 Pureview.
I went to a local DOCOMO shop to test it and it worked after that I called my carrier b-mobille (a division of DOCOMO) and had my SIM card converted to 4G
So if anyone has this problem here is the solution.

Malcome

tk17alex09

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a few 925s on hand to test. The conclusion is:
As many have mentioned, the lighting condition is critical. However, it does not have to be in the dark. It sometimes works in the dark but I find that it works worst in contrasting lights i.e. bright on one side and dark on the other side.
Nonetheless, after certain period it starts to work again all of a sudden so it has something to do with the software programming and hardware actually.
I hope that Nokia can get this sorted!

tk17alex09

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I created a situation that it will definitely not work...
Here's a simple diagram.
(Black curtain over window) (Bright light source)
(Black curtain over window)
(Black curtain over window) (Phone)

The test was conducted in a room with -parallel walls on both sides. And this somehow made the phone thinks that there's something very close to it and hence does not sense movement/waving.
After removing the phone from that position for about 10 secs, it showed the glance screen again and everything worked fine again.
Total bright and dark conditions in my test did not have this effect.

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I created a situation that it will definitely not work...
Here's a simple diagram.
(Black curtain over window) (Bright light source)
(Black curtain over window)
(Black curtain over window) (Phone)

The test was conducted in a room with -parallel walls on both sides. And this somehow made the phone thinks that there's something very close to it and hence does not sense movement/waving.
After removing the phone from that position for about 10 secs, it showed the glance screen again and everything worked fine again.
Total bright and dark conditions in my test did not have this effect.

Can you explain it a little better please. It could be that we are just stupid but myself and five friends have just read your post and we are all a little lost as to what you mean.

tk17alex09

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
For some reasons my diagram wasn't displayed properly.
In short, the light sensor and proximity sensor do not work well in contrasting light situation i.e. dark on one side and bright on the other side. Under certain situations based on lighting condition, the phone will think that you are actually covering the proximity sensor and hence does not have any response to your motion, as the phone thinks the proximity sensor is covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny