Bout to jump to IOS...stop me from jumping!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to kick this off by saying that I love love love MS products. I have a SP3 that i wouldn't part with for anything. I love Nokia products. In fact it was Nokia (and hence WP)that got me back into the MS camp a few years back. When I first used WP back then the OS was minimalistic, user friendly, and just unique. Now its so android-like and from what I'm reading on this site, W10 is not going to change that.

Its IOS that now seems to be the minimalist alternative. I've never owned an iphone but what I appreciate about IOS is that Apple knows exactly what it is and doesn't change it for anything. The dominance of Android and the slight emergence of WP doesn't matter to Apple. IOS is not changing and for minimalists...that's great. I cant believe it either....for the first time im actually thinking about switching to IOS. Why?

As a MS enthusiast IOS literally has everything I need now...partially thanks to MS. Nadella might be increasing MS market share by allowing MS software on IOS but all that means is that I can switch without pain. Office, onenote, and all those goodies (even maybe cortana) is there.

Second, I'm tired of not having the latest apps. True WP has great 3rd party apps. But I'm tired of a Netflix app that won't work and an ESPN app that is buggy, etc. Overall, I just want access to the apps that everybody else has access too (stores, stadiums, etc.) I don't care if I don't use them right now...i might if I had the chance. Every commercial or store I walk into has an app that doesn't support WP. You know its bad when I visited a church's website last year and was excited that they had an app for WP. Why was that exciting? It should be the norm.

Brining this to a close...the only thing I'm certain I would miss is the camera, Cortana (who is coming to IOS), audio text messages on my bluetooth, and a perhaps something else I'm not thinking of right now.

I'm on a cliff here somebody stop me! Give me some good reasons to stay on board. Really I want them.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well ....apples not bad. So try it out and see if you like it. If not come back that's all. I want to wait till new lumias come out to see if ms is really serious about there own Mobil brand! If not ill be right behind you dude but honestly im mr skeptical and I think ms will pull through.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why?

Why would you let someone else make your decision? Do what you want and God Bless.

I didn't read your post. I'm sure it is all highly personal to you. Just like the decision is.

Go, stay... Whichever makes YOU happy, not someone else.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the apps are your main concern. So try apple. Your definitely going to like the app selection. My wife and son have both used iPhone, he uses a Oneplus now, I'm on my Lumia but have owned a Nexus 4 and 5 and my wife is using a blackberry passport. There's nice things about all the OS's. Don't be afraid to try something different.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple knows exactly what it is and doesn't change it for anything.
What now? It's changing all the time. iOS had a recent major overhaul that completely changed the look and feel of it. They abandoned their stance against large screens phones. Both good things, but I don't know why someone would say they don't change.
I'm tired of a Netflix app that won't work and an ESPN app that is buggy, etc.

I'm on a cliff here somebody stop me! Give me some good reasons to stay on board. Really I want them.

All apps on all OSs have bugs. Just to go the iOS store and check reviews. Some are worse than others, but they all do. What's wrong with the Netflix app on WP? Works perfectly for me and now it has the features I've wanted too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netflix/id363590051?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/espn-sportscenter/id317469184?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

And Cortana will not be as good on a competing OS.

I can see why you'd want more apps though, which is the only reason I'd leave WP. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side in all aspects.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually no one can give u a good reason to stay because I think there isn't !! I think everyone who can afford to switch should do it ( the only downside is the damn price of the iPhone ) .

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually no one can give u a good reason to stay because I think there isn't !! I think everyone who can afford to switch should do it ( the only downside is the damn price of the iPhone ) .

Thanks everyone for your comments. In the end... yes it is a personal decision. I think I'm actually going to stick it out a little longer. I may trade up my 1520 for a 32 gig with wireless charging. Had that on my 1020 and really miss it. The main reason I'm going to stay is because of price. Man I don't feel like and can't really shell out another $700 plus for a phone (I don't care if it's an increase of $40 a month to my TMO bill... I ain't' doing it). That price is killer. Getting a wireless charging device may solve my new phone itch :) I guess I'll continue to look for new apps etc. on my WP. Maybe W10 will change this. I'm hoping so because I'm kinda feeling the app gap. OH well...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Unless there is some app you really really really can't be without, I say I'm glad you hang in there and stay with us. :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Plus you have to use iOS which I can't imagine anyone really thinks is a good OS other than as an app launcher.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Plus you have to use iOS which I can't imagine anyone really thinks is a good OS other than as an app launcher.
But Wp is also just an app launcher if u see it that way , and a bad collection of apps . It is more then that man come on. I'm a die hard WP fan but as of the time being .. IOS is superior and by far and no one can disagree unless he is a total Wp sheep... Hope that w10 shakes that up...but it is not reaching IOS level in 2 or 3 years at least .... If the op is thinking about changing I do encourage him honestly.. Go and see what it is like there . And if u did like it sell the Iphone and get 2 Lumia 930s with that money.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
But Wp is also just an app launcher if u see it that way , and a bad collection of apps . It is more then that man come on. I'm a die hard WP fan but as of the time being .. IOS is superior and by far and no one can disagree unless he is a total Wp sheep... Hope that w10 shakes that up...but it is not reaching IOS level in 2 or 3 years at least .... If the op is thinking about changing I do encourage him honestly.. Go and see what it is like there . And if u did like it sell the Iphone and get 2 Lumia 930s with that money.

Isn't every OS just an app launcher?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

And I disagree with that iOS superiority point. What makes iOS superior?

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
And I disagree with that iOS superiority point. What makes iOS superior?

My god u can't be serious. Every app there runs on a duel core processor better then the best app runs on my Lumia 1520.. And the collection of apps and quality of them are in a whole other league...apple has tweaked the IOS in a way that is wonderful..Microsoft had that in w8 wich ran butter smooth but messed up everything after 8.1 and the infamous loading screen
..so now that WP has lost its smoothness and the apps can't be compared....let me ask you why do you think that IOS is NOT superior in every way?? I love windowsphone but facts are facts and u can't compare the both.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My god u can't be serious. Every app there runs on a duel core processor better then the best app runs on my Lumia 1520.. And the collection of apps and quality of them are in a whole other league...apple has tweaked the IOS in a way that is wonderful..Microsoft had that in w8 wich ran butter smooth but messed up everything after 8.1 and the infamous loading screen
..so now that WP has lost its smoothness and the apps can't be compared....let me ask you why do you think that IOS is NOT superior in every way?? I love windowsphone but facts are facts and u can't compare the both.

We're not in the world of apps anymore. We're in a world of services. With major companies offering cloud-based services accessible everywhere, services will be dominant over apps in the near future. Apps are also limited in functionality.

Now that I've switched your perspective, it's night-and-day why Windows is superior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb