brand new SP2 with 8 GB RAM, 512GB SSD for $799 from Newegg!!!

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
$799 is a good deal, but I have seen better. The cheapest I have seen the Surface Pro 2 512G (including the full one year warranty, Skype deal, and OneDrive deal, not refurbished), was at Micro Center for $655.35 (with a Purple Type Cover 2 for $79.99, and Dock for $149.99 [I saw this cheaper at Best Buy for $99])...

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Why on Earth does resale matter? It will be a long time before there is a better tablet/convertible. I recently bought a second new one as the 10" size makes much more sense than the SP3 half way between a tablet and laptop.

If you are buying a tablet or laptop as an investment then you need to step back and learn about the basis for "investment." They are always going to depreciate fast. Get over it and love the thing you have, unless of course you did a knee jerk thing to buy the SP2 and then nothing will help as one will find a reason to complain no matter what. :)

I suspect "too good" deals are from market-place vendors so a thorough check on warranty and returns could be prudent. Unless whining about bad buying decisions is also a fun thing one enjoys. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Why on Earth does resale matter? It will be a long time before there is a better tablet/convertible.
Can't speak for everyone, but I've been wanting to get back to a more laptop like system like the Thinkpad Yoga 12, so I see myself selling my SP2 in a couple of months. So seeing the exact SP2 I own being sold brand new for less than half its original price is kind of bad news right now. Thankfully newegg sold out in a day, so there's still hope.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
What is a "through Warranty check" vs just running the serial number on Microsoft?? NewEgg is hardly a place to worry about. I just purchased one and it clearly says new sealed model.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I need to get 2. One for me and one for my wife. I was going full gusto and going with sp3's but I think the deal is so good on new sp2s that the extra screen real estate is not worth the price of admission.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
What is a "through Warranty check" vs just running the serial number on Microsoft?? NewEgg is hardly a place to worry about. I just purchased one and it clearly says new sealed model.

Seriously? By the time you have the serial number, you own it and can't return it. You need to read the computer buying conditions. Once you own it, what happens if the msoft site shows "expired?"

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? By the time you have the serial number, you own it and can't return it. You need to read the computer buying conditions. Once you own it, what happens if the msoft site shows "expired?"
Where do you live that shipping takes longer than the return period? Another makeup reasons you care to share??

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Where do you live that shipping takes longer than the return period?

My mistake for not being verbose enough, I thought we could all keep up by applying earlier details. :)

Buying New Old Stock. (NOS) means the MSoft warranty most likely started when the current vendor bought the thing. How do I know? I recently bought two SP2, U4300, 128g and using the serial number with msoft, found that my 12-months of tech-support expired before even I bought them. The 12-months warranty was partially intact with 4-months remaining. Not sure why there was a difference but you could ask msoft, I don't care.

So, the point I was trying to make was, you only get the serial number when you have the thing in hand.
Once you have the SP2, you can use that serial number on the msoft site and see what warranty is left.
I guess you could ask the vendor to hold one for you and send the serial number so you can check first. Good luck with that.
Oh, and that "vendor?" Newegg had these on special about two months back and I asked them before buying and they are via a market place vendor with their OWN return policy. I checked with them and it was 7-days for non-faulty and a mandatory 30% restock fee plus return shipping. Their stated warranty was that if it was working when received then it is good.

So, the point I was trying to make, you own it by the time to have the serial number.
The msoft warranty would be a mystery until it arrives and you can use the serial number to check. Ttttooooo Late if all expired!! LOL
To return a non-faulty SP2 back to the market-place vendor would cost you return shipping + $239.70 for 30% restock.

Ummmn, words on the tip of my fingers, ummm, er, ummm, oh yup, Caveat Emptor. :D

I have never had buyers remorse. Guess why?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
how do you check the serial number at what website link? can you provide that?

You need to read my posts again. You use the serial number to check the warranty.

Once you have the serial number (SP2 in hand) you do an online search for...
surface pro warranty
...and follow the breadcrumbs.
Log-in to msoft and enter the serial number and viola! Warranty info.

Uh oh, no warranty left, too late, it is going to cost almost 300-bucks to return it.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
the power cover is not backlit
it'll be somewhat heavy

Have to agree, I have both the Power and the Type covers and no longer use the Power for the reasons you outline. The extra battery life is nice, but too heavy to justify carrying it around all the time. With so many small and low-cost backup packs around, I prefer to carry one of those in a bag-pocket.

Interesting to note that the msoft trade-in program for an SP3 does **not** include an option for the Power cover, just the Type or Touch cover. Seems they don't want them back !! :D

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I just checked mine. Going to expire in October 2015. So I pretty much have all of my warranty minus 2 months.

You got lucky there. When I bought our two, it was about 6-months from back then, but hopefully nothing will go wrong after it expires. They seem pretty solid and msoft have always made good quality stuff. But, mass-production **is** mass production. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786