Branding of Windows phones - is "Microsoft" really the best choice?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the Microsoft brand name and I really think that it adds brand value

Pretty much everybody on this forum likes the Microsoft brand name too. We're here because we're Microsoft fans. But that's not the mindset of the general population, which means that it does NOT add brand value. In fact, I have to think that Windows Phone might have taken off if the name did not have "Windows" in it. :eek:rly:

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much everybody on this forum likes the Microsoft brand name too. We're here because we're Microsoft fans. But that's not the mindset of the general population, which means that it does NOT add brand value. In fact, I have to think that Windows Phone might have taken off if the name did not have "Windows" in it. :eek:rly:

Honestly, I think "Windows Phone" is much less problematic than "Microsoft". There's a distance in perception between the two names, even though they're effectively the same thing, in the same way there's a perceived gap between the Microsoft and XBox brands (I'd argue the latter enjoys more positive regard than the former).

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

With "general population" you mean geeks and tech blogs?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Branding of Windows phones - is "Microsoft" really the best choice?

With "general population" you mean geeks and tech blogs?
No, I mean those who remember the Microsoft of the 1990's. But yes, "general population" might be stretching it a little.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

I'm not a MS fan and I don't like the "Microsoft" brand name. As me, many people uses WP because of Nokia and the fluidity/lag free experience of WP.
Many people who bought WP because of Nokia, will probably not buy MS phones anymore or buy whatever manufacturer licensed "Nokia" brand instead. Specially people who doesn't know about MS acquiring Nokia, and there are LOTS.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Branding of Windows phones - is "Microsoft" really the best choice?

No, I mean those who remember the Microsoft of the 1990's. But yes, "general population" might be stretching it a little.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
Microsoft of the 1990s? TBF I don't think most people think about that at all

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Store last phones with NOKIA written on them , after few decades they would be treated as antiques and would be sold in black market at fortune. :D . As far as post is concerned i prefer Nokia because of quality,sturdiness, and trust attached to them (not because i am storing them).

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft Lumia are the best now. All the old Nokia stores (and ev, new stores to) outside USA and Canada will be branded as "Microsoft Priority Resellers":
On brand: Welcome to Microsoft Priority Reseller Stores - Conversations: The Microsoft Devices blog

So if they change the name and logo now it would be confusing. They must to do the best of the situation.

What if making the best of the situation is just the square Windows logo on the phone, and not the text? Put the Microsoft name on the store ads if you must, put it on the packaging, but don't make me walk around with a big "Microsoft" tag. I strongly suspect this will be counterproductive, because people like me will be self-conscious about that. Our phones will spend more time in our pockets and not out on the table where they need to be to work as residual advertisements. We're more likely to buy a case to change the phone's outer appearance.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Lumia on the phone, but the back of the phone should be Stamped with the Microsoft Squares Logo, not the windows logo.. The windows logo is already on the front.. (assuming they keep those on screen buttons on low end phones.... At least I hope so )..in plus Microsoft needs to be represented somehow..

So I say windows capacitive button on front

Microsoft squares logo on the back

Microsoft squares logo+The word "Microsoft" on box, and boot up screen...

Even when Nokia was around I didn't appreciate their name on the front of the device.. It just aesthetically takes points off the design. This is exactly why the AT&T Lumia 830 display looks more beautiful than the other variants.. The display is able to simply be beautiful by itself without some trademarked logo slapped across the front hoping to get attention.The logos need to stay off Te front period, unless they're of course a functioning button (windows key,search key, and back key)

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Also things like Microsoft commercials with Surface, Hololens videos, Xbox ,etc are all making Microsoft just flat out seem like a cool company, and I think as soon as windows 10 devices start rolling out alongside hololens their appeal will greatly rise,and they'll soon be as cool and popular seeming as Apple..
Just my positive thinking/predictions

Shinigami00

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I join the most part of the votes concerning the branding: I agree that the Windows logo is really enough on the device (and also in the boot menu).

Look this picture:
verizon-lumia-735-render.jpg

That overcharges the design of the device and personally the 735 is one of the best Lumia never made.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the Windows logo should be used in place of Microsoft's name - all Windows mobile devices, regardless of OEM, will have a Windows key at the bottom of the screen, or as onscreen buttons. Some phones, like the One M8, have the Windows logo on the back as well. Microsoft needs to differentiate it's own devices from other hardware partners.

Personally, I don't mind the Microsoft branding, I have no issue with the name. In terms of general consumers, having the name of such a big and well-known company may carry a fair bit of weight when it comes to the product's appeal, and you instantly know who makes it. That said, if it was going to have to change, I'd then go with just 'Lumia'.

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
My 920 says nothing on the back. Nokia on the top right and a windows logo on the bottom. I could have written your original message!! I have a graphic arts background and I'm TRYING not to let color and design figure into my choice of my next phone, because I know it has nothing to do with how it actually functions. But it does matter to me. I want good color choices, and I want the writing on my phone to be minimal. The Windows logo is plenty for me. Microsoft is a good brand, in my opinion, and Nokia is too. But Microsoft, as you said, is long and doesn't look great. Maybe they could put it on the upper right where Nokia used to be, but make it SMALL. NOT on the back.

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea of the Microsoft name just etched into the back...no color...and I like it positioned like the photo above (lengthwise). I don't see a reason to have it on the front as well, and too bad Verizon is on there too. Would look much more sleek to have nothing but the Windows logo on the front.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital