Build 10149 and Glance Screen

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the solution: search "glance screen windows phone store" in MS Edge, then click on "install", open with "Store", not the beta, and then it will install it. After that, go to Extras>Glance Screen and you can turn it off or on. Hope that helps!
Does not show the install button on old store - says not available anymore on beta store

franco-vela

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Mmm strange, I did a couple of days ago and no problem. I installed and then search it as "glance screen" with Cortana search and worked

Martin Coburn

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I was so excited when glance screen actually came up in the beta store... only to be crushed when I read "Sorry, glance screen is no longer available. For help, go to support.microsoft.com" where the "Install" button should be... GRRRR why Microsoft? Why??? /pulls hair out

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Roll back to 8.1 and then upgrade without any hard resets. Glance works great. Even takes on the lock screen photo. Not sure if it did that prior.

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Alright, guys. This is a summary of the whole situation.
This build -10149- still has lots, and I mean LLOOTTSS of issues. The glance is in no way the reason for the battery drainage. It seems like something is running in the background ALL THE TIME. Try and put your phone face down at night (which disables Glance completely) and it can drain from 100% -> 0% in like 6 hours. Of course that only works after using the phone, because when you're done, something will not shut down completely and will keep on sucking your battery. I'm guessing it's a sync-type issue.
Hope any Tech Guru can confirm.

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Roll back to 8.1 and then upgrade without any hard resets. Glance works great. Even takes on the lock screen photo. Not sure if it did that prior.

We know that without Hard Reset, the Glance is there. But Hard Reset solves lots of bugs for us. So we were wondering if there's a way to get it back after that. But, apparently, there isn't.
And yes, the Glance had an option to take on the lock screen photo.

Last edited:

MorganRW

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
From what I have read, it is the hard reset that makes Glance settings disappear. I think we are stuck with this until the next release rolls out.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Hard reset did not remove glance for me, updating the glance via store beta did. But I am now from 8.1 to 10149 without hard reset and it works just fine.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
We know that without Hard Reset, the Glance is there. But Hard Reset solves lots of bugs for us. So we were wondering if there's a way to get it back after that. But, apparently, there isn't.
And yes, the Glance had an option to take on the lock screen photo.

What bugs did he hard reset fix? I've been lucky with this build. I think I've only had to reboot perhaps 2 times.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how, but I decided to apply the Windows 10 "Hero Image" as my lock screen photo, and automagically, it became my Glance background image as well! Pretty sweet! Build: 10149

edit: Now if we could just get an updated weather app to show on the Glance screen...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how, but I decided to apply the Windows 10 "Hero Image" as my lock screen photo, and automagically, it became my Glance background image as well! Pretty sweet! Build: 10149

edit: Now if we could just get an updated weather app to show on the Glance screen...

Guess HDX said it has been there all along. But I'm not sure why I just noticed it for the first time. I did find the setting under glance screen settings to show the photo. I must have never updated my lockscreen photo after that was added to glance. I've often used Bing but they started pushing out some all white photos that made the lock screen difficult to use.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I've managed to find a work around for glance (posted here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...und-get-glance-screen-back-build-10149-a.html as opposed to it buried somewhere in a thread - hopefully it helps some people :) )... that sort-of-works ... Why Microsoft removed it is beyond me and to not mention project my display via usb no longer works either after the device hub update (I know i should have taken the screen shot but got a bit too jumpy and rebooted straight away :grincry:).

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Glance is under settings and can use all the options.
I don't have the glance app installed that lets you choose pictures so can't comment on that.
Personally I do not use glance.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...I dont have it under settings...

I don't either, but I have SysApp Pusher, which helped me download it (it took me to the store location) then I could also open it with the new store, even though, again, it isn't listed anywhere on the device.

A weird work around, but I like Glance on my Lumia 920.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
same here on L830. after upgrade from 8.1 it was there but not functional. the phone wasn't usable after upgrade so I had to hard reset as expected. After that glance screen is gone.
When I use sysapp push the store reports it's already installed. It shows the option to "open" it. then it asks to restart now. After restart I can go through sysapp pusher, store and open glance screen and change night mode....
thanks for the tip Zulfigar!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss