Calendar App suggestion !

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
After test-running EVERY calendar app available in the store, I have come to a dissappointing conclusion :

NONE of them really suits my needs...they all have some of the usefull features, but the features in one app are lacking in the other and vice versa.

The PERFECT calendar app would be the combination of :

The UI of True Calendar
The Live-Tile and Lock-Screen of Super Calendar
The editing options of Week View 8

True Calendar 8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Super Calendar | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Week View 8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

True Calendar 8 has the best interface of ALL calendar apps for WP8. No other can even touch the smoothness and intuitive UI of this app. Awesome week and month views including autozoom, 24hr clock, outlook sync, etc... DOWNFALL: horrible live-tile

Super Calendar is packed with options, has an awesomely customizable Live-Tile, AND has the BEST lockscreen of all other apps.
Lockscreen includes a monthcalendar and the next 6 appointments. DOWNFALL: slowest app of them all, not smooth at all, no landscape mode, no zoom...

Week View 8 has some options lacking in all other calendar apps. It can edit and delete appointments after creation for all synced calendars.
It has speech which can read you your appointments, which is an option that should be included in all calendar apps imo.
It is smooth and intuitive. DOWNFALL: Live-Tile although very customizable, imo has a useless backside (wide) which is NOT customizable at all. Lockscreen is also lacking a bit.

So True Calendar lacks a more decent live-tile and lockscreen.
Super Calendar lacks smoothness/snappyness, and lacks a more intuitive UI.
Week View 8 lacks a better lockscreen, and lacks a more customizable BACK tile.

So if any develloper ever gets the idea of creating the perfect calendar app, it should have the best of three worlds :

The amazing UI of True Calendar 8
The awesome live-tile and lockscreen of Super Calendar
The editing features and voice features of Week View 8

I know most of you out there are also still looking and wiating for the perfect calendar app which combines those things into one single app.
Some of you are using two or even three different calendar apps to suit their needs, which is really rediculus really, and shouldn't be neccessary.
MS really is to blaim, for not opening up their API's a little more. For developpers, I know it's a nightmare to work with.

If anyone has their own "vision" on how a true calendar app should look like, please do post it here !

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Palm OS had the best calendar and when I moved to WebOS I really was surprised how bad palm's calendar app went. It never improved and when I moved to WP8 I was use to bad calendars. It has always amazes me since the calendar app had to be one of the most used app. I am using Week View 8 now.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Palm OS had the best calendar and when I moved to WebOS I really was surprised how bad palm's calendar app went. It never improved and when I moved to WP8 I was use to bad calendars. It has always amazes me since the calendar app had to be one of the most used app. I am using Week View 8 now.

Yes indeed. Can't get that either.
The single most important app on any smartphone, and it is still the most lacking on WP (the stock one).

I think I'm gonna try to contact the dev of True Calendar, cause if that app gets a decent live tile, it will be perfect.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed. Can't get that either.
The single most important app on any smartphone, and it is still the most lacking on WP (the stock one).

I think I'm gonna try to contact the dev of True Calendar, cause if that app gets a decent live tile, it will be perfect.

I with you, I'm also a calendar junkie that tried, tested, purchased everyone out there. I been with week view 8 from day one as a bata tester, just started using super calendar an it's nice but slow. Lets hope we will get a new calander app soon..

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I with you, I'm also a calendar junkie that tried, tested, purchased everyone out there. I been with week view 8 from day one as a bata tester, just started using super calendar an it's nice but slow. Lets hope we will get a new calander app soon..

Let's hope...a statement used very often in the world of WP...

SC has the looks but as you said is slow. Too slow for comfortable use and even lags the phone...

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope...a statement used very often in the world of WP...

SC has the looks but as you said is slow. Too slow for comfortable use and even lags the phone...
If SC would only work on the performance now lets say supper charge it, it would be my app for good.

rmacklyn

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Google calender is the best option I would say. Other than that I have not found any tool that will work as free version. And if you want to go for paid version, then I would recommend you todoist.

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
really like the month and week view on that one
any chance of intergrating it to
simple calendar
maybe have option of either one
in the app
som people choose which they want to use

kimwpdev

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Can't, I don't have access to Simple Calendar's code. Although Super Calendar(which I own) will get a new home page with new views that load much faster.

really like the month and week view on that one
any chance of intergrating it to
simple calendar
maybe have option of either one
in the app
som people choose which they want to use

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm the developer of Super Calendar. I have another calendar app, Easy Calendar, not as customizeable as Super, but very fast. Try it out. Here's the link:

EasyCalendar | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I did not know that. Gonna try this puppy right away ! Thanks for mentioning.

Btw, any chance of Super Calendar getting a performance boost in the (near) future ? Maybe cut some corners here and there ? Because it has just about all the wanted features and the best lockscreen I've seen on any other calendar app. I love the month view displayed on it.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't, I don't have access to Simple Calendar's code. Although Super Calendar(which I own) will get a new home page with new views that load much faster.

Aah, sounds great. Can't wait. I'll tell you, if it gets a little faster, I'm buying it. The speed is actually the only thing standing in between :)

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Google calender is the best option I would say. Other than that I have not found any tool that will work as free version. And if you want to go for paid version, then I would recommend you todoist.

gCalendar doesn't have any functionality except adding and editing apointments...no live-tile if I'm correct, no lockscreen, no outlook integration or other calendars (off course), no theme/customization abilities...I think those are still the things most ppl are looking for in a good Calendar app.
If you're only after the option to edit existing appointments but nothing else, than gCalendar could work for you. But it is very limited.
Even the standard app imo does better than that. But I guess opinions can vary...

A calendar app is just about the most justifiable app to be paying a few bucks for imo, if it has all the features you need and works well.

kimwpdev

May 4, 2013
Visit site
New version(1.7) of Super Calendar is now out. Tons of new features in this release along with performance improvement.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
New version(1.7) of Super Calendar is now out. Tons of new features in this release along with performance improvement.

I just tested that puppy. It is a little bit snappier, and also a little bit better organised...

Although (personally) I def. do not like those new colours in the UI....I really hope you can change those into something more bright in next update...
Actually the colours were fine before. You shouldv'e left them as they were...

But did you remove some of the previous features aswel ? I thought there were more options before...
That is trivial though because everything we need is still there...

Only "con" I would still have are as said the colours in the UI...

For now, Super Calendar really appears to have it all.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi kimwpdev, I must say the new addition to Super Calander is fantastic and is more snapper than super calendar and has a nice look but choice of color would be nice to have. Thank you for keeping up with development on this fine app and giving us all choice. Please keep up the good work and I will have to try EasyCalander.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb