Calendar live tile is still DEAD, and no Hey Cortana

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe I'm on supposedly the final RS build, and the calendar live tile still doesn't change to a new date and I have to resize it every morning.

Have had this issue for too many builds, and I see many feedback about the issue in feedback hub, but MS doesn't even seem to acknowledge the problem.

Sorry for the rant but getting frustrated that there are still glaring issues like this. Live tiles is the most iconic and defining feature of the OS from the very beginning and the fact this feature is broken for their calendar is inexcusable really *sigh*

And the other thing not working is Hey Cortana. Read many places that it doesn't work for any language/region setting other than US. That's just unbelievable

If anybody have solutions for the above problems, please let me know. Note I have already done a hard rest as some suggested, it didn't fix anything. I restored from backup though, would hard reset w/o restore from backup make a difference?

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
If anybody have solutions for the above problems, please let me know. Note I have already done a hard rest as some suggested, it didn't fix anything. I restored from backup though, would hard reset w/o restore from backup make a difference?

since you've already done one hard reset, you can try another without restoring and see if it works

As for the calendar tile - is it enabled to run in the background? I don't know if that will affect but worth a try

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I would suggest the same thing. I upgraded to Redstone with the preview build, hey Cortana in french and calendar tile works, even if the last one doesn't say "tomorrow" but the digital date. I didn't use a backup.

Edward Aguilar

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Mine was the same thing. It's dead even after a hard reset without using the backup. I got lucky when the app updated. Maybe try a hard reset with no restore and if it didn't help you could wait for another app update.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Bit the bullet and did another hard reset w/o restore from backup, and right out of the gate the calendar tile wasn't showing the date until I resized it... this not a good sign :unhappy: But I suppose the real test will be when midnight rolls around.

As for Hey Cortana, well now the app (which used to be in Settings > Extra) is no where to be found. Can't find it in the store either, nor is the Hey Cortana option with the regular Cortana settings (I never understood why Hey Cortana is in different places for different phones in the first place). This is just great.

Lost the Touch & Gestures app too, why isn't it in the store?

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" is in the Cortana setttings.
It's the very first item.

Touch is in Settings > Extras

I can assure you, Hey Cortana is not in Cortana settings on my phone

wp_ss_20160806_0001 [23884].jpg

As I said, Hey Cortana is in different places for different phone models, makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Yes I know the Touch app is supposed to be in Settings > Extras. But it's gone after the hard reset.

And my calendar tile did not update last night. But this morning there was a calendar app update, so now I have to wait another day to see if that fixed the problem. I'm getting so sick of this calendar tile problem... :angry:

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by skinnypig#WP

I can assure you, Hey Cortana is not in Cortana settings on my phone

As I said, Hey Cortana is in different places for different phone models, makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Yes I know the Touch app is supposed to be in Settings > Extras. But it's gone after the hard reset.

Which phone are you on?

As far as I understand "Hey Cortana" should be in the same place no matter what phone you have, as it's part of Cortana.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just scroll to the right, Cortana is an app

Yes I know Cortana is an app, I was referring to the Hey Cortana app, they are different things.

Anyway, did another hard reset and Hey Cortana and Touch apps came back; the only thing I did differently was to make sure I picked US region and language during the setup.

I don't know what was the point of all that, because it did not fix the calendar tile, and apparently still can't activate Hey Cortana even though now all my settings point to US. I give up MS, you win.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
on ICON (Lumia 929, very close to the 930), the Hey Cortana is under settings -> Extras. has been like that from the start.

I too am not able to get Hey Cortana to work.

Seems that it does not like my reginal settings set to US English and is asking me to change up the Cortana language....but if I chose say English (Canada), it gives warning that region and cortana language do not match so some functionality will not work.

I didnt use Hey Cortana that much but would like it to work again.....Hard Reset and no restore from previous backup has not helped either. Been like this last 2 builds for me.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The Calendar and Mail live tiles are broken for me too since 14393.5. They are still dead on .67.

The lock screen mail counter also broken, although mail notifications do come through to the action centre.

I've noticed that the mail tile updates if I leave the phone for a few hours, but that really isn't good enough.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Outlook live tiles are dead for a few months now on my L640. Reported it many times, updated OS and apps several times, done soft and hard resets, but nothing fixed it. Shame.

Alpedra

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Faced the same issue with Outlook live tiles for a few months on a L640XL. Did the usual routines. Soft resets, hard resets, tile resizing, pin/unpin/pin again. Nothing worked - except pin/unpin would update the calendar?s live tile once and freeze afterwards (i.e. no updates to the live tile). Sold that phone a few weeks ago to fund the purchase of a 950XL. The 950XL?s outlook live tiles are working fine. Could be a model-specific problem (SW related)? I?m wondering this because it seems to be more common on 640s/640XLs.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
On .82 release preview and sadly (but I guess not surprisingly), tile is still dead.

Now that AU is rolling out officially, I wonder how many people are waking up to a dead calendar tile? How many is it going to take for MS to acknowledge and fix the problem?

Faced the same issue with Outlook live tiles for a few months on a L640XL. Did the usual routines. Soft resets, hard resets, tile resizing, pin/unpin/pin again. Nothing worked - except pin/unpin would update the calendar?s live tile once and freeze afterwards (i.e. no updates to the live tile). Sold that phone a few weeks ago to fund the purchase of a 950XL. The 950XL?s outlook live tiles are working fine. Could be a model-specific problem (SW related)? I?m wondering this because it seems to be more common on 640s/640XLs.

I'm on 930 and have this problem. Live tile is such a basic yet fundamental feature of the OS; It's been there since the beginning. It's hard to imagine how being on specific models could make it fail to update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb