Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox One only 720p. PS4 is 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
MS really needs to step things up to calm the waters. They made it through BF4 720p largely unscathed because it looked better than PS4 at 900p. But this is supposed to be a next gen console and customers expect their new console to fill the pixels on their 1080p screen. MS' crappy PR destroyed the X1 introduction, their lack of PR now is threatening to destroy the launch. I'm starting to feel like MS doesn't care about next gen anymore. Maybe it's the trolling from SDF, maybe it's the punking they are getting from developers, but they seem to be beat down at this point. Unbelievable that on a day Sony revealed serious limitations with PS4, 720p COD on X1 is the dominant story. Not a good day for X1 and they can't afford days like this three weeks from launch.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit disheartening, unless we can get exact reasons as to why both this and Battlefield 4 run at a lower resolution on the Xbox. Even then, the reason's going to HAVE to be something other than lower-powered hardware. The idea that we're getting 1080p on smartphones and 4K on monitors and TVs, yet a console we're expected to invest 5-10 years in can't get over 720p is pretty sad. I get that there isn't a whole lot of noticeable difference between the games on the consoles, but the idea that the Xbox One can't handle 1080p at launch doesn't bode all that well for the idea that we're supposed to keep these consoles until 8K displays start coming out and 4K ones are commonplace.

The only thing suggested over lesser hardware (which woudl be a bad deal) is poor developer tools, and it's hard to say that I'd find that fact to be better news, because it's not the BEST thought in the world that Microsoft would have to drastically revamp their developer tools to make games on-par with the competition. Then, of course, there's the question of WHICH hardware woudl be causing this. Is it solely the GPU? Is that DDR3-vs-GDDR5 thing coming into play here? Is it the multi-OS setup within the Xbox One?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's because these dumbass game studios didn't take the time to take advantage of what the Xbox One is offering them! Now watch some of Microsoft's in house game studios, they will develop their games properly and blow away the PS4 in visuals! That's a promise!

Ps: New Infinity Ward sucks. Almost as much as Treyarch.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hah, how does new Infinity Ward suck any more than old Infinity Ward? Modern Warfare 2 is just as-bad as Modern Warfare 3. At least Treyarch's games have steadily improved, to the point that I'd even call Black Ops and Black Ops II two of the better installments this generation. I'd probably put it:

1. Modern Warfare
2. Black Ops 2
3. Black Ops
4. Call of Duty 2
5. Ghosts
6. Modern Warfare 2
7. Modern Warfare 3
8. World at War
9. Call of Duty 3

I put Ghosts where I did based on expectations. I don't like what I've heard, but I just can't imagine that it'll be worse than the MW sequels.

That aside, I think you're overestimating stuff here a bit. Yes, Microsoft has offered the Azure stuff, but you can't really expect cross-platform games to take advantage of that, especially if it pigeonholes a game into always-online like Titanfall will (what with the recent backlash and all about the always-online console idea). Also, to brag how the Microsoft first-party stuff will take great advantage of the hardware ignores that the Sony stuff is certain to do the same. I mean, we ARE talking about a 720p-vs-1080p difference here, so taking good advantage of Xbox One hardware might just pull them even, while Sony-related optimization could keep a noticeable gap there (though perhaps smaller than the current one).

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess is the eSRAM that is not yet implemented in a way to work better if the hardware. The problem stay if the developers never get be able to use this eSRAM like MS thought. Harder to accept that only Forza is having a native 1080p game. Worst that even Wii U will have more 1080p on this holiday than MS.
They need to write a public statement, that they are working to solve this gaps, to better dev kits and etc. Otherwise, It is hard to say, but I will move to PS4..

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I will take DLNA, Miracast, local storage, and codec support over those 360 lines in COD.

Just watched the world series fox.broadcast at 720p, looked fine.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
How did ms release such an underpowered console is beyond me. Remember the 360 came out 8 years ago. Can't even do 1080p and call of duty isn't even a good looking game to begin with.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
How did ms release such an underpowered console is beyond me. Remember the 360 came out 8 years ago. Can't even do 1080p and call of duty isn't even a good looking game to begin with.
We don't know why XB1 is having trouble at 1080p and I'm sure the COD team won't discuss these matters since it doesn't speak well of them either considering Forza does 1080p/60. I don't think we'll know for sure if MS royally screwed up on a technical level until 2014 and if it's a solvable software/tools/firmware issue, they have to make it priority 1 to fix it by holiday 2014 COD.

On a technical level, I've been in favor on unified memory architecture, but it's looking like this embedded RAM could be a bad solution. It gave them problems on the 360 even though they figured out how to use it more efficiently and now they're going back to it again? I would rather have them do split pool 8 GB DDR3/2 GB GDDR 5 or even 6 GB DDR5.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It's hard to say, really. We don't know how much the underpowering will really matter. Consider that the PS3 was said to be MUCH more-powerful than the 360 (to the extent that the military actually made a supercomputer out of a cluster of them), yet the consoles have ended up essentially tied at the end of this generation. Maybe we get a 4-year refresh with slightly-better parts if a legitimate problem arises though, some sort of Xbox One.Five (though the possibility of that seems null, since it would essentially ruin the usability of older consoles and **** million of folks off).

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

This Call of Duty is an upgraded engine and definitely not able to be compared graphically to the old ones.

Also, stop jumping to conclusions without knowing any reasoning. Lousy code is a possibility, but yet you insist to blame Microsoft lol. Very nice logic there.

Everyone is complaining without using their brains. All these games that are below 1080p could be stripped of graphical features in order to be able to run in 1080p. It's sad that you people only care about numbers...... without seeing anything for yourselves. Vision and sight are perceptive. Stop giving something a number to determine how it looks.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This Call of Duty is an upgraded engine and definitely not able to be compared graphically to the old ones.

Also, stop jumping to conclusions without knowing any reasoning. Lousy code is a possibility, but yet you insist to blame Microsoft lol. Very nice logic there.

Everyone is complaining without using their brains. All these games that are below 1080p could be stripped of graphical features in order to be able to run in 1080p. It's sad that you people only care about numbers...... without seeing anything for yourselves. Vision and sight are perceptive. Stop giving something a number to determine how it looks.
I absolutely agree with this, and it is reinforced by the fact that 720p on X1 looks better then 900p on PS4 with BF4. Still, MS needs to step up to the plate and start fighting. Sony fanboys are having an absolute field day with this, people are considering cancelling their X1 pre-orders, X1 brand is being damaged.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It's about both when you're charging $100 more.

You act as if $100 is alot of money. I've said this before, I spend more than that on booze and women in a week.

Regarding 720 vs. 1080: Why are you all blaming MSFT? Its the companies that create the games that made such decisions. Hell, at the end of the day it may not make a noticable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel