Camera button still not waking phone

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The update didn't do anything to make the camera's wake from sleep functionality any better. Mine was working before though unintuitively I had to have the prevent camera from accidentally waking phone option selected. Now no matter what option I have checked it won't wake the phone .

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
So to be clear, you have:

"Press and hold camera button to wake up the phone" switched ON

and

"Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked" switched OFF

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
In my case, yes, that's how my settings are. Despite that, the camera button only works maybe 20-25% of the time if the screen is off, and works 100% of the time with the screen on.

Strangely enough, sometimes it appears to work better if I press the button, release, and then press and hold it.

And if I press the volume keys while the screen is off while playing music, if I start at 0 and press it 20 times, the volume will increase only 10-15 notches. My Venue Pro has no such issues.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I now have the wake turned on and the prevent accidental turned off. And it doesn't work. At all. Not even a percentage of the time.
Before the update if I had these settings it didn't work reliably, but it did work everytime if i had wake on and prevent accidental on.

I tried it that way now, too, and it doesn't work that way either.

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I now have the wake turned on and the prevent accidental turned off. And it doesn't work. At all. Not even a percentage of the time.
Before the update if I had these settings it didn't work reliably, but it did work everytime if i had wake on and prevent accidental on.

I tried it that way now, too, and it doesn't work that way either.

It worked with accidental ON? Now that is bizarre.

And just to make sure, are you pressing the camera all the way down, and not just half-click? You should feel two clicks.

Grenzeloos

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
My camera button doesn't wake the phone up every time either, I even have a 'green sticker' unit supposedly check for working hardware and software.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm doing a long press. I'm coming from a focus, and it always worked there. And before the update it worked bizarrely withe the prevent accidental ON. The button will open the camera just fine if it's already woken up, even from the lockscreen, just not if the screen is off. Annoyance, one of several little things I wish they'd been able to get right. Oh well.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
I have the same issue and have been looking all over for settings like those you describe. I'm admittedly new WP7 with my Lumia 900 being my first, but I thought I'd be able to find them. Can someone tell me where to look? That way I can have my 'duh' moment :-S

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I have the same issue and have been looking all over for settings like those you describe. I'm admittedly new WP7 with my Lumia 900 being my first, but I thought I'd be able to find them. Can someone tell me where to look? That way I can have my 'duh' moment :-S

Settings, swipe to the side to see the list of applications, choose camera + pictures, and the settings are there.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Thanks...like I said, now I have my duh! moment LOL. I never noticed the swipe available inside of Settings, still getting used to this UI. This changes everything :) Thanks again!

jeric71

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I know we don't want to say "you're holding it wrong", but folks with this issue, just make sure your thumb is NOT in front of the proximity sensor on the front. Make sure you're left thumb is off to the side and it will work every time.

The proximity sensor is there so it doesn't go off in a call or in your pocket.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
There is clearly an issue with this. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't at all, sometimes it works on and off. I found that if it doesn't work at all, a restart fixes it.

Either way there is a software issue with this. I tested the hardware button with nokia diagnosis and it registers the focus and press every time.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I know we don't want to say "you're holding it wrong", but folks with this issue, just make sure your thumb is NOT in front of the proximity sensor on the front. Make sure you're left thumb is off to the side and it will work every time.

The proximity sensor is there so it doesn't go off in a call or in your pocket.

I'm fully aware of the proximity sensor. I can hold it by two fingers just by the edges, and it still doesn't work.

There's clearly an issue here, because it's not just the camera but also the volume and headset buttons, which all work 100% perfectly with the screen on.

jeric71

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I still tend to disagree, but note that the devices may be different. If I don't obstruct the proximity sensor, I've been able to launch my camera 100% of the time from sleep. You do have to hold the button down for a little longer than you would like to ensure the two-step registers and it launches. I've never had one issue and I've tested a ton.

As for the volume up/down, that does have to be software. Mine will not change when screen is off, but the behavior has been consistent before/after update. I don't think the update changed anything in that regard.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Is the volume supposed to change with the screen off? I was thinking it only did that behind the lock screen (screen on), not when the device is asleep.

As for the volume up/down, that does have to be software. Mine will not change when screen is off, but the behavior has been consistent before/after update. I don't think the update changed anything in that regard.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Is the volume supposed to change with the screen off? I was thinking it only did that behind the lock screen (screen on), not when the device is asleep.

It seems that this is a related problem. Ideally (i.e. for my previous WP7 phones), the camera should wake the phone up and you should be able to change the volume with the screen off. Here are scenarios I have experienced with the Lumia 900 (also please note I'm not a moron and have the settings in "photos+camera" set correctly and am not blocking the proximity sensor):

1. The volume buttons do nothing with the screen off. The camera does not wake the phone. Worst case-scenario

2. The camera does not wake the phone the first time I try it but it does immediately after. I.e. I press and hold for 5 seconds, nothing happens. I release, and within 1-2 seconds perform another press and hold. This wakes into the camera app. This has been reproducible a number of times. The volume buttons also change the volume with the screen off.

3. Everything works as it should. Volume buttons work with the screen off, and the camera button wakes to camera on the first attempt.

I experience all of these at various times. There's nothing I'm doing to get the behavior to change-- no restarts, no setting changes, nothing. It seems completely random. The fact that the volume buttons also don't reliably work leads me to believe that there is some sort of bug WRT to all hardware buttons functioning with the screen off. Luckily that bug hasn't affected the power button (yet!). :shocked:

-R

EDIT: BTW I have installed the update. It didn't change anything I'm experiencing.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

If you're playing music it's supposed to. Or at least that's how it worked on my previous device.

And seriously, could we knock off the 'you're holding it wrong' crap?

attachment.php

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb