Can I buy a verizon HTC 8X and use it on at&t?

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I buy a contract free Verizon HTC 8x (I want the wireless charging), is it then possible to put my at&t sim in and use it or do I need some kind of special unlock?

Thanks

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
re:

Yes you could, but you could not get LTE. The chipset also handles GSM. You'd pop out the SIM and use an AT%T sim. Apparently, Verizon has unlocked this. For example, you can also do this with an iPhone5 from Verizon. You could get fast HSPA+ internet, but not nearly as fast as LTE. If you want to use ATT just get an HTC 8x there and you'd get LTE.

DrJay1

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yes - I have used an AT&T sim card in my Verizon 8X and it works fine, although you will
be limited to 3G (H) speeds and not have AT&T's LTE.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
re:

Let me correct my first post. Here are the frequency specs for the Verizon 8X:

2wdrdch.jpg

I didn't know it was a dual mode CDMA/GSM phone. It looks like it would work, GSM 850/1900 is listed, providing the GSM mode is unlocked and there's no AT&T blocks on the Verizon firmware.

Last edited:

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
re:

Apparently Verizon had to do this as a result of requirements with some of the spectrum they bought. They lost an FCC ruling on the issue.

Kevin Bates

May 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

It works with T-Mobile just fine. I have a friend with Tmobile and they also have a Windows 8x Phone. Their sim card worked great in my VZW 8x phone. It even said, "Changing to GSM mode". When I put my VZW sim in their TMobile 8x phone, it would not accept it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

Yes, it works on t-mobile, however MMS and internet sharing does not work. I'm assuming its the same for at&t.

Dont you just have to change the APN settings to fix that ?

Internet sharing is a dfferent story, if someone figures that one out on a Verizon 8X, let me know PLEASE :)

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
re:

OK, I know it's been awhile since the last post on this thread, but I need some help here. I am able to put an AT&T SIM into my wife's new Verizon HTC 8X and get everything working with ONE exception: MMS. :unhappy: And my wife has to have MMS; life can't go on without it... :winktongue: Has anyone have any ideas to help me out?

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

I'm not sure as far as the HTC phones go, but for Nokia you can install an access point app which adds an entry to the settings where you can edit APN settings. You may be out of luck though. With my old Samsung Focus I had to do some hacks to get it to work. Those hacks aren't possible on WP8.

birthgirth

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yes. I've done this exact scenario. You will get up to hspa+ download speeds. MMS will not work however. Verizon has hidden the ability to change the mms apn settings. HTC has an app called connection setup that could allow you to change the settings but the app is broken. It does not work for anyone and HTC hasn't updated the app in over a year. So no matter what mms will not work as if right now. That means no picture messages or group messaging. The only hope now is that the 8.1 update will allow us to access the necessary settings. Or if HTC decides to fix their app. Also the Nokia apn app is only compatible with lumia devices so that is also out of the question. I've tried everything. Developer unlocking and sideloading.. No solution for now.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Sadangelman

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

What's wrong with HTC connection setup app? Works just fine on my 8x with New Zealand networks. A friend of mine also with an 8x has just recently been to the US & UK on holiday. Both times they used local sim cards in there phone & had no problems with the HTC connection setup app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo