Can I setup WP with a Google account, or do I need an MS account?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you need a hotmail account to use a windows phone, or can you use a googe account?

You need a Microsoft account to make the most of a Windows Phone. (naturally, since it IS a Microsoft product.)

You can connect a Google account for email and such, but it'll be secondary.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Do you need a hotmail account to use a windows phone, or can you use a googe account?

Glad your interested! It's an amazing os, and that's coming from a previous ios fan.

You can use a google account, however you will need to make a Microsoft account still. What I mean by this is when you sign up for a Microsoft account here: https://signup.live.com/signup?uaid=0afd22ed90104a048d7fe53a9413a1ab&lic=1 under username use your current gmail address. If it makes you put a hotmail or outlook.com at the end there should be a little link under the box where you type in your address that says use current email.

This will not be an actual email thing unless you sign up for it, basically it makes your microsoft account not for email and your username is your gmail address.

Hope this helps!

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

I have my Yahoo set as my Microsoft account, so in theory it should be possible to register your Gmail account as your Microsoft account. Personally, I would go with what Xandros9 suggested and use an official Microsoft account, and have your Gmail as a secondary e-mail. In hindsight I wish I did, but I have too many movie and music purchases to switch over now. 😊

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

There is absolutely no reason to not make a proper MS account. Convoluting things by using a foreign e-mail address as your MS account username is a bad idea too. Just go to outlook.com, sign up without any funny business, and you'll be happier in the long run, not just for WP's sake, but for W10 also.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I'm seriously interested in getting a windows phone

Hey, i would suggest getting a Ms account set up. Why?
It carries mostly all the essentials. Things like your contacts (so you wont have to worry about missing or lost contacts, they are automatically synced) OneNote, OneDrive, App lists (so you dont have to pay for the same apps twice), back-ups etc etc.

Also be warned that certain things Google may not work very well if at all.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Like everyone said, creating a Microsoft account is the way to go. It will automatically connect you to all of their services.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

Hey, i would suggest getting a Ms account set up. Why?
It carries mostly all the essentials. Things like your contacts (so you wont have to worry about missing or lost contacts, they are automatically synced) OneNote, OneDrive, App lists (so you dont have to pay for the same apps twice), back-ups etc etc.

Also be warned that certain things Google may not work very well if at all.

I do have 100gbs. of space with google drive. Does that have to be switched to skydrive?:smile:

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

You don't have to switch to OneDrive although it would be better. There is no official google drive app so you'd need to use a web browser and go to a website to access your files

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As already said, you can use your Google email address as the "ID" of the MS account. The MS account by that name doesn't have to be used for anything but the "owner" of your apps, One Drive space, etc..

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I use mailwise for my email(on my LG G3), and it supports my gmail and hotmail accounts. Don't know if it would work on a windows phone. I'll be heading to the MS store soon, just to find out what i can and can't switch over from Android to Windows.:smile:

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I do have 100gbs. of space with google drive. Does that have to be switched to skydrive?:smile:

There's a lot of chances to get free storage on OneDrive (not SkyDrive). I have 130GB of storage that I got free on many Microsoft promotions. :D
You can still use your Google Account to sync your contacts, e-mails and calendar but you'll probally end up exporting them to your Microsoft Account (as I did haha)

I use mailwise for my email(on my LG G3), and it supports my gmail and hotmail accounts. Don't know if it would work on a windows phone. I'll be heading to the MS store soon, just to find out what i can and can't switch over from Android to Windows.:smile:

Outlook Mail app for windows 10 Mobile (coming soon) will suport all your e-mail accounts in one app (just like Google's Inbox and Gmail, Mailwise... :D

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

OK, sounds good. Funny thing, on my email app(gmail is the default), my hotmail hits the phone about 2-4 minutes quicker. Go figure.:grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion