Can you damage a device by using non-stock headphones?

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I really hate earplugs. I prefer headphones with size like this one: http://www.best-ipod-online.com/images/philips-headphone.jpg
I used to listen to music on an iPod and I used non-stock headphones. Some people have told me that this could damage the device but I didn't care. I would rather have a broken iPod than make my ears hurt with the earplugs. At some point after 4 years of use the iPod was indeed damaged and the guy who repaired it said that it was because of the non-standard headphones that had higher resistence or something.

Recently I got a new Windows Phone and I ditched the iPod as a way of listening to music. While I did not care if I was going to damage the iPod I do care if I will damage the WP device. So my question is if I can really damage the phone by using bigger headphones and if I can what are my options? What characteristics of the headphones should I look for in order to be compatible and how can I get information about the recommended characteristics. My device is Samsung Omnia W if that is important.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This would be news for me, and my many different sets of headphones. But if you are really worried, just go Bluetooth. Some very nice offerings available.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
At worst, the headphones won't play, but shouldn't damage the device. jimski is right, bluetooth headphones are a great benefit of using a cellphone over most music players.

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I am also doubtful but I've heard it from different sources so I decided I had better ask. To clarify by "damage" I mean over a long time and by "non-stock" I mean "bigger".

Bluetooth headphones are interesting idea that I haven't thought of. They could prove to be more comfortable too.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Whoever told you that your headphones broke your iPod was an idiot. Your iPod is providing the power and it can't provide more power than it's designed to (common sense?)

There's no input coming from the headphones, so it makes sense that the headphones can't damage the iPod. The most you can expect is bad quality.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how they came up with that, but using your own headphones shouldn't damage a device.

Plus, usually the stock headphones are terrible.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The impedance on wired headphones are all the same, which means no matter what you use the line voltage is constant, with exception of the types of speakers used in each. Bluetooth headsets are only receiving signals from equipment in which the have no physical electrical contact with the phone. So either way you are safe.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah , no way 3rd party earpho0nes break your device.

i remember when the first IPODS where coming , Apple where actually telling Ipod users to USE 3rd party earphones , to hid the fact that you had a 600$ Ipod in your pocket. LOL. ( to prevent getting robed)

i dont think i EVER used stock earphones from a cellphone....

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
At worst, the headphones won't play, but shouldn't damage the device. jimski is right, bluetooth headphones are a great benefit of using a cellphone over most music players.

This. Till I guess the worst case scenario will be the noise canceling being so awesome that you get run over by a car lol.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This. Till I guess the worst case scenario will be the noise canceling being so awesome that you get run over by a car lol.

I think paying to close attention to my phone puts me in greater danger of getting run over. I tend to be a little more aware with phones on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb