Can't enable cortana alpha on WP 8.1

ispiff

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Have Lumia 920 Indian CV. Updated to 8.1 two days back.
I'm not able to enable cortana, despite following the instructions given in:
windowsphone.com/en-in/how-to/wp8/cortana/cortana-alpha

If I change language/region/speech to 'English - US', it works.
But not the Indian alpha version :(

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You will need to be in the Developer Preview program and install WP8.1 GDR1 in order to gain access to Cortana Alpha.

ispiff

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
You will need to be in the Developer Preview program and install WP8.1 GDR1 in order to gain access to Cortana Alpha.
Thanks for the reply!

Well the instructions on windowsphone website are pretty clear. If you have Cyan i.e 8.1 update it should work, not only with Developer Preview.
Has anything changed after this announcement?

Quoting from the website:

To set up Cortana
Before doing anything, make sure you have Windows Phone 8.1 Update installed on your phone. Check to see which version you have and find out if an update is available.

Tip
You can also install the update through the Windows Phone Preview for Developers. This programme makes updates available to anyone who's interested in getting the new Windows Phone updates on their phones earlier than the general public. For more info, see the Windows Phone Dev Center.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

Well the instructions on windowsphone website are pretty clear. If you have Cyan i.e 8.1 update it should work, not only with Developer Preview.
Has anything changed after this announcement?

Quoting from the website:

That only applies to the US. if you look on your local regional variant of the site it'll state coming soon in the small print.

Case in point for the UK site.
Windows Phone Features (United Kingdom)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is where Microsoft's confusing naming conventions comprehensively confuses their customers.

"Windows Phone 8.1 Update" is different to "Windows Phone 8.1" The "update" doesn't refer to WP8.1 being the update.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update is the first update applied to Windows Phone 8.1 (i.e. WP8.1 GDR1).

To enable Cortana in the UK and the Alpha in India, Australia, Canada, you need GDR1 (which MS called "Windows Phone 8.1 Update).

See

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history

Which differentiates "Windows Phone 8.1" and "Windows Phone 8.1 Update", but (more confusingly) doesn't mention the developer preview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99