CES 2011 WP7 announcements?

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed as well
come on ! first half of 2011 for verizon and sprint ?
and I'm sure they are not going to be 4G phones ! what is the hold up ... is Microsoft a Union Shop?

also no real tablet solutions ? no windows embeded tabs no windows phone 7 tabs like we knew and really no windows tabs..

I really love microsot and have backed balmer for quite some time now but its time I think he should go now ..
I wold like to see the creative mind man Mre Belfure
I'm sure I hacked his name but I like his thinking and I think he would have the direction of a windows CE Tab
and also on top of all that I think we saw over the last 3 days
what 10 new android phone and how many android tablets?
MS is getting there buts kicked and we need them to turn it around..

I agree.

I know they may be waiting for MWC to show off some things but they really needed to have a good CES in the mobile department and they just let android still the show.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was ok. Those new spiffy android phones were announced, not released. 4G phones not really booming becuase 4G isn't available in many areas. But I'm hoping the CDMA phones get realeased soon, so that the WP7 user base can get a major following.

homerlanza#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
1st half of 2011 is insane. If you heard what was said he said that as soon as the updates drop, that is when the phones would be released. Now outside of performance upgrades and copy/paste what else could the update offer that Sprint and Verizon are saying they will wait for those updates.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
1st half of 2011 is insane. If you heard what was said he said that as soon as the updates drop, that is when the phones would be released. Now outside of performance upgrades and copy/paste what else could the update offer that Sprint and Verizon are saying they will wait for those updates.

It offers support for CDMA networks. Sprint and VZW would love to release WP7 devices right now, but they will not work until the update is released.

I was also pretty disappointed though, not one new phone announcement from either Microsoft or any device manufacturer. Since the HTC 7 Pro will not work for me, guess I am going to be waiting a long time. :confused:

homerlanza#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It offers support for CDMA networks. Sprint and VZW would love to release WP7 devices right now, but they will not work until the update is released.

I was also pretty disappointed though, not one new phone announcement from either Microsoft or any device manufacturer. Since the HTC 7 Pro will not work for me, guess I am going to be waiting a long time. :confused:

You are looking for global roaming right? What else don't you like about the Pro 7? I did research but I would like more perspective on the phone.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You are looking for global roaming right? What else don't you like about the Pro 7? I did research but I would like more perspective on the phone.

That is the only thing I am waiting for. Otherwise I love it. Sure C&P and Multitasking will be nice, and I know they are coming, they are not a deal breaker for me. Global roaming however is. And we know CDMA support is coming, but no manufacturers are making CDMA/GSM phones. I blame this on the likes of HTC, Samsung, LG, etc... not Microsoft.

homerlanza#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That is the only thing I am waiting for. Otherwise I love it. Sure C&P and Multitasking will be nice, and I know they are coming, they are not a deal breaker for me. Global roaming however is. And we know CDMA support is coming, but no manufacturers are making CDMA/GSM phones. I blame this on the likes of HTC, Samsung, LG, etc... not Microsoft.

I believe that Microsoft and the manufacturers both share the blame on this one. Microsoft needs to push out as many phones on as many carriers as they can. They have a very vested interest in this and should be working hard to get it done. Of course I guess this all the ramblings of a frustrated Pre owner. I am getting the same treatment from HP and Sprint with that "in the coming months" BS.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I believe that Microsoft and the manufacturers both share the blame on this one. Microsoft needs to push out as many phones on as many carriers as they can. They have a very vested interest in this and should be working hard to get it done. Of course I guess this all the ramblings of a frustrated Pre owner. I am getting the same treatment from HP and Sprint with that "in the coming months" BS.

Yeah, I hear you. I really was confused though that MS chose to ignore CDMA,l especially because Sprint has always been the strongest Windows Mobile community out of all the carriers. I would have thought they would want to get that base up and running first.

I am not quite sure how device development happens though. Who has more influence on the features of a device, let's say putting global roaming in a CDMA phone. Is this something the carriers like Sprint and VZW push the OEM's to do?

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Microsoft is responsible for phones not being on CDMA networks? I'm honestly curious.. it seems like it's really the manufacturers that simply haven't made any CDMA WP7 phones. I can't see how the WP7 software is somehow not compatible with CDMA network unless I'm missing something? Halp me LOL

homerlanza#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hear you. I really was confused though that MS chose to ignore CDMA,l especially because Sprint has always been the strongest Windows Mobile community out of all the carriers. I would have thought they would want to get that base up and running first.

I am not quite sure how device development happens though. Who has more influence on the features of a device, let's say putting global roaming in a CDMA phone. Is this something the carriers like Sprint and VZW push the OEM's to do?

I would suppose the carriers have the say since they know how many globe trotting clients they have etc. I mean I am sure Microsoft has a good idea of who wants what, but Sprint has the actual customer data to back it up.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ces was very dissapointing I just don't understand why they didn't at least anounce new devices on sprint and version and actual dates for everything... I guess MWC is where we will see some sprint love I really need to get rid of this pre and the HTC pro 7 just isn't the device for me I need more storage... But anyways I really hope MWC is a different story and M$ steals the show with 4g devices and badass hardware and software, iam the only one that noticed sprint didn't get any phones? Wtf is up with that? Maybe it's becuz they didn't actually persent yet but still version and at&t got a **** ton of andriods..

homerlanza#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Microsoft is responsible for phones not being on CDMA networks? I'm honestly curious.. it seems like it's really the manufacturers that simply haven't made any CDMA WP7 phones. I can't see how the WP7 software is somehow not compatible with CDMA network unless I'm missing something? Halp me LOL

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but some of us are just cell phone users. I have no insight in to the process of who does what when a phone is in development. Is it wrong for me to be disappointed at Microsoft and Sprint? Like I said, most of the frustration comes from the lack of phones out there that I woul dlike to own. Love WebOS, hate my Pre. Like the EVO hardware, hate the Android OS. WP7 looks like something I would love, but I can't seem to get my hands on one. This is my curse. :-( lol

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Windows Phone 7 in current form does not support CDMA networks. The next update in either January or February will add support for it. HTC already has two CDMA devices ready to go, just waiting for the software support.

They are:

HTC 7 Pro for Sprint
HTC Trophy for VZW

The second the WP7 update is released these phones will be for sale on Sprint and VZW.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750