Changes on phone no longer made on computer

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I recently replaced my dying Nokia Lumia 735 with a Microsoft Lumia 640. The transfer went for the most part without any glitch. However I have noticed that changes made to Contact details on the phone are no longer being made Contacts on my computer (which is what I am used to). All my email accounts are running as they should be and syncing as they should. I am wondering where I should go to rectify this situation? BW

bwana wamkulu

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Shmsnh, I have not changed anything since the transfer and all the places where there are things to input look to have the same information in them as before and everything used to work fine.
Where on the phone would I look to check where it thinks it is linked to for contacts?
Where on the computer would I Iook to check where it thinks it is linked to for contacts?
Where on the web would I look to see if the changes have registered?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
By default, your contacts are tied to Outlook. Check if the phone and computer are set to display Outlook contacts. And log on to https://www.outlook.com using the same Microsoft account and check if the changes you make on your phone are reflecting in the Contacts list there.

bwana wamkulu

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you shmsnh, I looked in Outlook.com and could see that the changes made on my phone were registering on that site. However these changes were not proceeding to make changes on my computer (the old numbers were still sitting there unchanged).
I am not sure how I "check if the phone and computer are set to display Outlook Contacts". In my outlook on my computer I definitely see the contacts. One my phone in People I can definitely see the contacts. Whereas these used to stay parallel and I could make a change in one place and see it get to the other place this is no longer happening so that the two are no longer parallel.
So my phone is looking at the listing in Outlook.com and recording changes.
But it seems like my computers is not looking (or linking) to the same place. How do I find where my computer is looking? Do I have to make a change in some setting on the computer? Where do I make that change?
I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to these things.
Very grateful for the help you have given.

bwana wamkulu

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks you shmsnh,

In order to try and understand what is and what is not happening I have chosen 13 contacts (people). I have altered phone numbers and added photos to these 13 test cases using my phone in the People facility.

For 12 of these, the changes have appeared in OneDrive. Live.com - Outlook People. One remains unchanged after quite a long time and after many emails have been received and sent.

When I look using the People App on my computer the same applies. 12 reflected the change. The 13th had accepted the photo change but not the phone number change (curious).

If I look on my computer in Outlook>Contacts none of the 13 has changed.

Am I right in believing that changes in Contacts get transmitted when there is email activity. If this is right the changes have had time to be transmitted. I have done numerous syncs on the mail accounts on both the phone and the computer.

Rick

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
So... the problem is with the Outlook that comes with Microsoft Office? I'm sorry I can't help you with that. It's been a long time since I've had to use the Outlook desktop program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb