Changing the language of the Win 8 RT OS

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The customer support at MS US told me that at least US version cant change language to any other than english, but perhaps the german version that probably is in german can be changed to english instead? Germany is a very multicultural place after all nowadays.

I have no idea why you were told that. I successfully changed mine, which was bought at Microsoft Store at Bridgewater, NJ, into Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong). You need to install a language pack though, and my preferred Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) was not available for download for some odd reasons.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The MS US rep told me that the US Surface only has english and it can't be changed.

This is even odder since one of the first screens I saw on my Surface, while still in the Microsoft Store to set it up, was to select the language, which you can choose from English, French, Spanish, etc.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I don't know why MS US rep are telling people otherwise, but you CAN change the operating language of a Surface bought in US, as long as a language pack is available. A reboot is needed after the switch. As I stated earlier, I HAVE changed mine into Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong SAR). Even if a language pack i not available, you can still add the keyboard setting of numerous languages to your US bought Surface. You can't, however, get other language touch/type cover in US, I think. But your touch cover will work with other language keyboard setting, just not having those things printed on the cover itself.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is even odder since one of the first screens I saw on my Surface, while still in the Microsoft Store to set it up, was to select the language, which you can choose from English, French, Spanish, etc.

I found it extremely weird, but just goes to prove how CS usually doesnt know squat.. He said he'll go take a look, so he probably went to like an already started up surface, checked the options and failed to find the option to change OS language or something :D

But until now that was the only official confirmation I had so I rather played it safe.

My Surface has been already ordered, so this thread is sorta lock-tastic already, but I'm still interested in knowing if the germans who bought Surfaces as soon as the option went up have any idea when are they getting theirs?

ilfranzoso

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I Will order my surface in Germany next week, I'm italian and as You know my language is not available. But As i told before during the fisrt boot you can decide witch language use, for the germam version, you Will have : German, freanch and english... I hope in a future language pack....but no problem to have my surface in English.

The main problem is caused by the touch cover, where some letters are not available, for example : ?, ?,?

I hope in the possibility to select via software the keyboard language.... For ex. I i Will press ? i need to have ?.... We Will see....

Do you know the time delivery from germa store?

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Keyboard layout is changeable to just about anything out there, so you can use italian layout. Given, the keyboard will for example say ?, but would produce ? or something.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Today or yesterday the german availability has "returned to normal". Seems that they have stock again, as none of the Surfaces no longer say about the 3 week to deliver. Might get mine within a week with some luck!

EDIT: The Surface without touch cover seems to be out of stock.

ilfranzoso

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Today or yesterday the german availability has "returned to normal". Seems that they have stock again, as none of the Surfaces no longer say about the 3 week to deliver. Might get mine within a week with some luck!

EDIT: The Surface without touch cover seems to be out of stock.
Excuse me, Product in stock and 3 weeks delivery? I received a Phone from china in 1 week.....:straight:

ilfranzoso

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm little bit confused :straight:

Before you told me that 3 weeks was when surface was out of stock..... So normally if i order mine on wensday in one week should be in my hands....

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how much you've been following all this, but...

Normally yes, but the whole process all around the world has been quite a mess. For example a lot of people havnt even been charged yet and their order status still says "processing" even if they've had the device a whole week by now.

Also the Surfaces havnt apparently been shipped in order of ordering.. There are many reports of people who preordered later to get theirs first while people who preordered on the first minute still might not have a sign of theirs.

But yes, in a normal situation if product is in stock you should expect it within a week if you are ordering inside Europe, but as it is at the moment, I'm not expecting to get mine within a week, at least that way I wont be disappointed lol.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
About ???

And UK keyboard doesnt have ? or ?.. And at least MSUK store says that they dont ship outside UK.

Well, God damnit.. So now I cant get one from Germany either.

I have zero use for a productivity tool that cant handle my own language. ? and ? are far too common to be ignored. I believe you can change the keyboard layout software side, but then you'll be hitting keys that actually put out different letters :p

Well, I guess no Surface for me until they land to Finland, which is probably sometime next year...

As said, I would suffice with english software just fine, it's the needed keys (mainly ? and ?) I'm after. Then again, I'm also sufficient enough on typing without looking at the keys, so its not like the key actually has to say ? for me to find it :D

But I guess if I'm still gonna be hitting keys that put out different letters, I might as well take the german keyboard and have Y and Z switched. ? and ? are in the same places in finnish keyboards and both are more common in finnish than Z or Y. But at least the UK one would sure be in english.. then again MS UK still claims they dont ship outside UK.

Heya! I'm from Finland too, but been living abroad for 12 years, which means during this time I haven't actually had any keyboards with the characters in the right place! But heck, why do I need them to be when I can type blindly? You know, when you have a foreign keyboard and change the keyboard language into Finnish or Swedish, characters such as (, ), *, @ and " are ALL in the wrong place, every single one, except basic ones like !, commas, and full stops. My friends can't use my computer, it's hilarious :D Still, I know where characters are, and you learn quickly! I've ordered a Surface from Germany, and Z will be the only thing that's going to be weird for me.

ATomiH

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about ordering touch cover from germany. I know it has qwertz layout, but if I change it from Windows to qwerty, it should work? Normal keyboards work this way, but wondering if touch/type covers have something that prevents this?

Get touch cover from germany, in Windows change to finnish layout, I'll get 'z' from 'y' and so on?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No personal experience yet, but people have said keyboard layout can be changed from hardware. I ordered mine based on that info.

qhorse82

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm once more if need be that the surface out of the German store asks you to choose between French, English or German at the first boot. I just configured mine :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny