CNET, is truly a joke of a website.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This really upset me, it is just ridiculous the cr** this website writes, every single product that Microsoft makes gets destroyed by this website.

CNET, what a joke of a website. Really?? : Surface

B3R6NDH.jpg

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
This device really goes after a niche. Most people just want to know what do they need and how much, and not worry about which accessories to add. At 899, it's extremely difficult to recommend a PC with only 25 GB of usable space.

I say PC, because it's 25GB of PC storage. PC storage and, let's say, Android storage follow completely different metrics.
As an example, Spotify, the app, uses 8MB on android. Spotify uses 70MB on Win8.

Spec wise, the device is very attractive at that price.
Usability wise, the decide isn't too attractive at 899.

Example, recommending my g/f a laptop. I have basic requirements. 8GB of RAM, at least 128GB of storage, and a keyboard.
The Surface for these specs is 1418
The MBA is 1099.
I have a Win8 Key... For the first time ever, i'm considering an MBA as a recommendation, although it will be running Windows :D

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Majority of the populartechnology sites didn't give a positive feel during their initial hands-on. It was labelled as a minor update, not a true 2.0 which i personally disagree with. These are the same people who claim a Chromebook is a good investment (my personal opinion is WASTE OF MONEY). I've learned to stay away from general technology discussions due to the vast majority of people beating up whatever brand they're not a ****** of, for no reason other than bias. I can admit the Mac Air is a beautiful device, i dont like the Mac OS but would never hate on their devices.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Majority of the populartechnology sites didn't give a positive feel during their initial hands-on. It was labelled as a minor update, not a true 2.0 which i personally disagree with. These are the same people who claim a Chromebook is a good investment (my personal opinion is WASTE OF MONEY). I've learned to stay away from general technology discussions due to the vast majority of people beating up whatever brand they're not a ****** of, for no reason other than bias. I can admit the Mac Air is a beautiful device, i dont like the Mac OS but would never hate on their devices.

What pisses me off is that they write an article about the Surface Pro 2 , yet they use a picture of an Apple product lol.

People ccomplaining about sstorage make lol, you have a USB 3.0 and SD card slot.....STOP complaining about storage!!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
What pisses me off is that they write an article about the Surface Pro 2 , yet they use a picture of an Apple product lol.

People ccomplaining about sstorage make lol, you have a USB 3.0 and SD card slot.....STOP complaining about storage!!

i thought that device in the picture looked...odd LOL

And agreed on the storage complaint, hence my intent to get the 64GB and later invest in SD card to expand + external HDD of 500GB. However, im not in the general consumer majority that has 1000's of movies and TV shows on their portable devices...when im home id rather watch those on my big screen TV.....im not too concerned about being disconnected. As i get older, i find myself slowly steering away from whats considered the NORM.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

You're right.
Even on the base 64GB Surface 2 Pro model...

...25GB free internal storage
...1TB external hard drive
...128GB microSD card

Yep, lack of storage indeed :)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This device really goes after a niche. Most people just want to know what do they need and how much, and not worry about which accessories to add. At 899, it's extremely difficult to recommend a PC with only 25 GB of usable space.

I say PC, because it's 25GB of PC storage. PC storage and, let's say, Android storage follow completely different metrics.
As an example, Spotify, the app, uses 8MB on android. Spotify uses 70MB on Win8.

Spec wise, the device is very attractive at that price.
Usability wise, the decide isn't too attractive at 899.

Example, recommending my g/f a laptop. I have basic requirements. 8GB of RAM, at least 128GB of storage, and a keyboard.
The Surface for these specs is 1418
The MBA is 1099.
I have a Win8 Key... For the first time ever, i'm considering an MBA as a recommendation, although it will be running Windows :D

A 128GB Surface Pro 2 costs $999 and Type Cover 2 is $129.99 = $1130...that's $40 more with a touchscreen, active digitizer and stylus and 200GB of SkyDrive storage (2 yrs) and basically unlimited use of Skype (1 yr). That is a hell of a deal, especially when you consider that the Surface's hardware is of premium quality and built to make Windows 8 fly.

Sure, you only get about 80GB of available storage and 4GB of RAM on the Surface, but you are getting a lot to offset that loss. Even with my 64GB Surface Pro I'm running Office 2013, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere, and Steam with Warframe, drawing help from a 64 micro-SD card and SkyDrive of course.

Since Windows Vista we've seen Microsoft make Windows more efficient and lightweight, so as to allow future iterations to work on dated hardware. Compared to my previous PC, a 2007 HP Pavilion on 2GB of RAM and AMD CPU, the Pro (1) is a fighter, and with Windows iterations becoming increasingly efficient and computing increasingly off-loaded to the cloud, does 8GB of RAM matter for most?

My girl was also in the market for a new laptop, and she is a Mac user at home. But seeing me this past year with my Surface she felt the Mac lost its special quality and charm, it's just another computer. But the Surface? It's a new take on computing.

She likens the Surface Pro to Final Fantasy XIII. There's this huge world below, "Pulse" ... where you have access to all of those legacy desktop applications, Adobe Cloud Suite, full Office 2013, etc. But then there's this new world, a more ordered and shinier world, "Cacoon" ... where you're opened to the mobile apps that work on your core PC, and work with you from one device. Yes, Kindle, Kobo, Twitter and soon Facebook, Flipboard and more.

That's special bro. Special. Don't let your girl miss out... MBA doesn't do justice to its default wallpaper (which is some nebula/galaxy, but it's not nearly as cool as cosmic gas inside...it isn't...)

Come on bro.... Come on.

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A 128GB Surface Pro 2 costs $999 and Type Cover 2 is $129.99 = $1130...that's $40 more with a touchscreen, active digitizer and stylus and 200GB of SkyDrive storage (2 yrs) and basically unlimited use of Skype (1 yr). That is hell of a deal, especially when you consider that the Surface's hardware is of premium quality and built to make Windows 8 fly.

Sure, you only get about 80GB of available storage on the Surface, but you are getting much, *much* more to offset the loss. Even with my 64GB Surface Pro I'm running Office 2013, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere, and Steam with Warframe, drawing help from a 64 micro-SD card and SkyDrive of course.

1080p Screen.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
You're right.
Even on the base 64GB Surface 2 Pro model...

...25GB free internal storage
...1TB external hard drive
...128GB microSD card

Yep, lack of storage indeed :)

Not right at all;

...25GB free internal storage - install couple of applications and a bit of music and videos and you are out, heck 32gb on a phone is not enough and here you are talking about an actual PC that you want to use for normal work. And don't forget that you don't want to fill that SSD up all the way or your performance will suffer A LOT.
...1TB external hard drive - the Surface Pro is for people who want the flexibility to take it anywhere without too much bulk, carrying countless accessories is not exactly the solution here.
...128GB microSD card - please show me where you can get a 128gb microSD?? 64gb is the biggest one right now and the performance comes nowhere near an SSD performance and if you want comparable performance the biggest microSD you can get at 95mb/s is 16GB which does not add much to the 25gb you have.

For any proffesional who wants to do serious work on the Surface Pro or a consumer that wants to use it as a portable consumption device the 128gb S-Pro is barely sufficient with around 80gb left free.
So while we are all fans of the Surface Pro here lets not get carried away and try to argue that 25gb free space is perfectly sufficient.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Not right at all;

...25GB free internal storage - install couple of applications and a bit of music and videos and you are out, heck 32gb on a phone is not enough and here you are talking about an actual PC that you want to use for normal work. And don't forget that you don't want to fill that SSD up all the way or your performance will suffer A LOT.
...1TB external hard drive - the Surface Pro is for people who want the flexibility to take it anywhere without too much bulk, carrying countless accessories is not exactly the solution here.
...128GB microSD card - please show me where you can get a 128gb microSD?? 64gb is the biggest one right now and the performance comes nowhere near an SSD performance and if you want comparable performance the biggest microSD you can get at 95mb/s is 16GB which does not add much to the 25gb you have.

For any proffesional who wants to do serious work on the Surface Pro or a consumer that wants to use it as a portable consumption device the 128gb S-Pro is barely sufficient with around 80gb left free.
So while we are all fans of the Surface Pro here lets not get carried away and try to argue that 25gb free space is perfectly sufficient.

Lol a 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive is the size of a Galaxy Note 2...You call that bulk? countless accessories? really?.....oh god.

128Gb or 64Gb same thing.....the point is that you can store more things, and the size of an SD card is pretty small.....Does this count as bulk?

Oh yeah and dont forget all the other size options that you can pick from.....so yeah.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Put into perspective, the new surface pro 2 base model is only 50 dollars more then a 64gb iPhone 5S! Now that is something that CNET would NEVER say lmao.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99