Compatible Apps

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Both eReader and Mobipocket reader work quite well. Mobipocket can be turned to landscape mode, and it's like reading a paper book. About the same size too.

I think I'd like it if Mobipocket could do a 2-column view. I dont think I could stand to read it turned sideways. That said, I've read hundreds of boooks on PDA and phone and feel no compulsion to start reading books on my Redfly.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
iGuidance 4 on a Treo 750 seems to work fine. The screen on REDFLY sizes properly only if you launch it from REDFLY after syncing to the phone.

On a side note I can see how setting REDFLY up as the screen for your GPS Nav program would be much better than using the phone's screen. Might have to search around for any kind of installation kit that could be adapted.

saescott

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Mobi TV

If you start the app before you connect to the Redfly, it works, but fuzzier and at a slow framerate (~4/ps), and with only a slightly larger screen than on my tilt. When you enter full screen mode, it turns the picture on its side, and has the WM 6 "waiting" multicolored pinwheel constantly flashing...
When you Alt-Tab back to it from another app, Mobi TV remains in the top left corner, with the previously viewed program in the background. The little box in the middle of the screen with the open programs remains in the forground. The sound continues to be heard from the phone as normal.

If you start the app after you connect to redfly, you get a message that Mobi TV doesn't support 800x480...

Steve

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I tought I read somewhere that REDFLY cannot access your poe camera???

Anyway, I found out today that with my BlackJack II, I can access the camera from the REDFLY. Cool!

Well, apart from one thing - I crash the camera app if I try to record video, but I can start up the camera app and take photos.

I can see a workflow where I'm in a presentation, making notes, and I want to quickly photograph the current PPT slide and quickly drop it into my notes. Hmmm.... very nice :)

bumblefreak

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
TomTom 7

TomTom 7 works great on the Redfly... It's only limitation is the speed of the processor and GPS in my Tilt. Wish I had a screen this big built into my car...

lowhongsang79

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Docs to go and Redfly

I did notice this as well. I prefer Docs to Go over Mobile Word, but, I can't type in Docs to Go on the Redfly, way too much lag.

It's interesting because there is no lag at all when using Docs to Go on the 800w not connected to the Redfly.

I tried Doc to go with Redfly using E-ten M810.

There is no lag. I realize a stronger/faster processor will solve the problem. M810 has about 500Mhz processor. My Treo 500v, on the hands has the lag problem with Docs to go because its processor is 400 ++ Mhz only.

In any case, if you attempt to load large files... and the memory runs very low. The lag problem will re-surface again. :)

Hope this helps!

PDAwizard

Apr 15, 2006
spaces.msn.com
Best PDF Reader

In your experience, what is the best Windows Mobile PDF Reader when used with the Redfly? I'm using a VZW Treo 700wx upgraded to WM 6.0.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
I tried Doc to go with Redfly using E-ten M810.

There is no lag. I realize a stronger/faster processor will solve the problem. M810 has about 500Mhz processor. My Treo 500v, on the hands has the lag problem with Docs to go because its processor is 400 ++ Mhz only.

In any case, if you attempt to load large files... and the memory runs very low. The lag problem will re-surface again. :)

Hope this helps!

im using a verizon moto q9c with the 320 mhz processor and i have about a 0.5 sec lag on when typing in docs to go on the redfly, its just enough to recognize but not enough to be an issue. now SMS/texting on the otherhand is rediculously slow...theres almost a 7 sec lag between characters....wish they would figure a solution out for that.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
It seems that the Documents ToGo lag was greatly reduced with the new firmware / drivers. I just teste it and it was twice as fast as I remeber it.

My favorite PDF reader on the Redfly is Adobe Acrobat 2.0 and best of all its free. Picsel PDF viewer also works quite well but I'm not sure where you would get it because it comes preloaded on the 800w. Documents ToGo PDF viewer is very slow but it renders full screen.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
It seems that the Documents ToGo lag was greatly reduced with the new firmware / drivers. I just teste it and it was twice as fast as I remeber it.

My favorite PDF reader on the Redfly is Adobe Acrobat 2.0 and best of all its free. Picsel PDF viewer also works quite well but I'm not sure where you would get it because it comes preloaded on the 800w. Documents ToGo PDF viewer is very slow but it renders full screen.

Picsel does not sell their software to end users, only to OEMs. I think they do that so they won't have to maintain an extensive end user help service.

There have been a few Picsel apps that were lifted from phone ROMs, but using them violates the license.

Bill R

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello. New Member here.

PocketDOS works, albeit slowly. I can get 640x480. Also C-ApiSRO (XM Radio app) works as well. I was going to attach images, but the IMG tags wouldn't let me make them smaller.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Bolt browser www.boltbrowser.com seems to be pretty good. This beta version is little quirky, but it is fast and gives a full desktop experience - or nearly full. No Flash or other plugin support.

- You have to launch RedFly first, then Bolt to get full-screen view.
- Full screen is actually 640x480, but it still looks good.
- Scrolling long pages is painfully slow.
- Entering a URL is quirky and requires about 8 steps. You cannot type directly into the URL window, you have to select Menu > Edit to edit the URL *after* having first selected Menu > enter URL.
- Occasionally Bolt seems to choke and won't load any page past 20% - just close and reopen the browser to reset.
- Closing and reopening is VERY FAST compared to any other Java-based browser I have used on a phone.
- Being Java based, Bolt runs on most devices, and looks like it would be especially good on low-spec devices.
- It has an interesting Split Screen view, showing overview and zoom a the same time.
- Bolt automatically transcodes YouTube video (and I guess others) to 3gp and downloads to your phone for viewing. My phone doesn't seem to like the transcoded video so it doesn't play automatically. "GAPI not supported, try another driver" ... but the downloaded file works fine in TCMP. TCMP, though, does not work well with RedFly.

use intomobile as reference code if you want to download and try it.

Last edited:

Finagle

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Evernote - working great

Greetings;

I wanted to mention my personal invaluable productivity app, Evernote, works excellently on the Redfly.

Not only does it look good, but the wireless sync of notes between the handheld and desktop/web service makes the storage and transfer of complex information a lot more reasonable.

I also do a lot of writing in Evernote, and find that it handles text entry very well for a native app, with very little lag.

Finagle

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
And a "sort-of" working request (although I'm amazed it works at all):

WKTask - this app is one that would be a lot MORE valuable on the REDFLY than on plain WM - specifically, it draws "taskbar buttons" across the top bar, and allows "real" Close/Terminate on apps by right-clicking them.

This works sort of on REDFLY - the first couple taskbar buttons draw, but not all of them. It would be a real true killer addition to the REDFLY experience if it were working fully.

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
I used to use wktask. I think the issue is in the app not the redfly. If you go into the settings for wktask, you have direct control the number of pixels from either edge of the screen that the "taskbar" displays. By this setting you change where and how long the tab area up top is. This shows that the app uses static resolution and not relative for its rendering (not sure if static and relative are the right terms here, but you get what I mean). So, you could go into the wktask settings and change this for the redfly and it might make a difference (don't know, never tried) but you would have to change it back upon disconnect.

I recently switched to pocket plus 4 and I love it for not just its taskbar and running app organization, but also for the other multiple functions it adds - a more robust long click menu especially in file explorer, inertial finger scrolling in all native apps and SPB apps, ability to boot into safe mode, and others. So far - flawless with the Redfly (but you do lose the actual tabs up top - I think alt-tab on the Redfl\y negates the need for it).

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Well, I've been thinking about this as well. wkTask is a real killer app on the Redfly and makes the User Experience much more like desktop Windows (well, people already asked me whether I was running Vista on that thing :D).

I digged a bit deeper into it and found that it really isn't much more than a problem with the redrawing of the task list when changing resolutions. I've now decided to write an e-mail to the developer and tell him about the problem. I believe it shouldn't be too hard for him to correct that.

Maybe a few of you could send him e-mails as well so we have a bigger chance to get that corrected in the next release?

As a work around, I found it works well if you just close wkTask before connecting to the Redfly and launch it again after you connected it. If you do that, you'll need to close it again before you disconnect though, otherwise your resolution will not change (yep, you'll end up with a 800x480 resolution even without the Redfly connected but you'll only see a small part of the screen).

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and while I'm at it: Conduits PocketArtist works perfectly well with the Redfly (edit your Photoshop files on your Redfly :eek:), as does Conduits PocketSlides.

Further in the area of productivity software, SMathStudio works extremely well as does the SoftMaker Office package (which gives you a full Office experience - though it needs a lot of memory).