Constant Restarts

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am definitely considering this too, but I have only 14 days to return it. So I was hoping to find a solution until next weekend. I would return to my 1520 then.

Someone stepped on my 1520. Screen is unusable since none of the capacitive buttons work. I have to use voice commands and feel like an *****😐 those stars sound like eediote...censorship

banker1985

May 1, 2015
Visit site
To the person who purchased the PNY u3 MicroSDHC 128GB, I bought the 32GB version and had crashes. Not reboots, full on crashes that take a few attempts to turn back on. I removed and I don't think it was the issue. I did a hard reset with restore from previous backup and have now had two full crashes in 36 hours. Better than the 8 I had the day I did the full reset. I'm thinking if I have another crash, I'll use the recovery tool. If that doesn't work and we have no indication this will be fixed soon I might return.

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the 950 XL restart on me once while playing a YouTube video. That's the only time it ever happened to me, so I doubt it had anything to do with the microSD card I have (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB).

raybeste

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
For what it's worth, I too was having constant restarts (sometimes it would restart 5+ times before it finally started up again). I had installed a 128GB SD card and had most of my apps on that card. If I tried to run most apps it crashed. If I tried to go to the card to move the apps to the device it would crash either immediately or after moving a few apps over. I removed the 128GB card and used an older 32GB card thinking that possibly the larger size wasn't really as supported as it should be at this point but it still crashed if I execute apps or store photos, etc.. on that card. So, I removed all apps from that card, deleted all apps that are greyed out and re-downloaded and installed them on the device and now, 1 day later, I have not had a single restart or crash on anything. So, my conclusion is that doing anything with the SD storage on this device is in dire need of a software update before it can be used at all. (BTW- I still have the 32GB card physically in the device but there is nothing on it and all settings are set to use the device for storage)

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I too was having constant restarts (sometimes it would restart 5+ times before it finally started up again). I had installed a 128GB SD card and had most of my apps on that card. If I tried to run most apps it crashed. If I tried to go to the card to move the apps to the device it would crash either immediately or after moving a few apps over. I removed the 128GB card and used an older 32GB card thinking that possibly the larger size wasn't really as supported as it should be at this point but it still crashed if I execute apps or store photos, etc.. on that card. So, I removed all apps from that card, deleted all apps that are greyed out and re-downloaded and installed them on the device and now, 1 day later, I have not had a single restart or crash on anything. So, my conclusion is that doing anything with the SD storage on this device is in dire need of a software update before it can be used at all. (BTW- I still have the 32GB card physically in the device but there is nothing on it and all settings are set to use the device for storage)

This looks like a prime example of how an SD card is responsible for all the reboots. MS needs to find a way to fix this, otherwise this functionality is unusable.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Well as far as rumors go, there may be a new build going out in the next week or so. How quickly this gets on the 950s and if it'll fix this issure remains to be seen.

Personally I have not had any spontaneous reboots. I have an SD card installed and I restored from a backup.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It primarily happened when I installed apps to the card. I had to take out the card to stop the cycle, reformat the card in a PC, and turn of that feature, but I still ended up with random reboots.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So this seems to be a regular thing for me a week after purchase. Most apps and features do work for the most part as intended.. minus the occasional daily bugs. However, I'm now getting a little tired of the daily reboots in order to fix things that suddenly stop working.

Examples:

- WiFi disconnects randomly from my 5Ghz band. Once disconnected the phone can no longer recognize any 5Ghz bands. Reboots fixes this. Sometimes temporarily, while sometimes it sticks longer. No issues on 2.4Ghz. This is the most common reason for me.

- Random black screens when launching important apps like People hub, Outlook, Messaging. Only a reboot will fix this.

- Random black screen on unlocking the device. No buttons work and device is frozen. Forced to do reboot using volume down and power buttons.

- Occasional lock ups using apps. Reboot fixes these.

Now, if I had to reboot my device a couple times a week that wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm rebooting my device voluntarily and involuntarily
5 - 10 times a day. On top of that, each time I reboot my device certain settings don't usually stick like screen brightness, my wireless charger settings under Gadgets (DT-903) and my bluetooth needs to disconnected from my audio receiver. Extremely annoying.

What's also annoying is when my device is actually running properly for an extended period of time (like WiFi actually staying connected) and then I'm forced to do a reset due to something else not working. Then I'm back to playing cat and mouse with my WiFi.

I'd like to think that in 3 months from now I won't still be doing rebooting my device this often. I've experienced about 2-3 random reboots not initiated by me and I believe they were all while launching an app.

alexx17

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
yup just got mine lumia 950 xl and when i put in my old sd card the phone just switches from the microsoft logo and the windows logo
but it works fine when i take it out

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't there some sort of problem with SD cards if you had apps from Win 8.1 on it and then put it into a Win 10 phone? I remember mine telling me that I needed to format the SD card or I would have problems, or some message to that effect. Of course that doesn't help those with brand new cards, but maybe some of the ones with backed up apps. I would guess that this has to be a software / firmware issue. In this day and age it would be almost (note I said almost) impossible to be hardware. I really hope it's not hardware, and MS can get it sorted in a hurry!

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
yup just got mine lumia 950 xl and when i put in my old sd card the phone just switches from the microsoft logo and the windows logo
but it works fine when i take it out

Same here, except I inserted a BRAND NEW SD card...
Sigh I waited for a 900 series lumia with an SD card slot for so long and when I finally get one, it turns out to be a broken garbage. :crying:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine was also brand new and works fine in my surface. Problem is either wm10 out 950xl. I can't wait on such junk.

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine was also brand new and works fine in my surface. Problem is either wm10 out 950xl. I can't wait on such junk.

My card also seems to work fine with my Dell Venue 8 Pro.
I'm wondering have you (and other people with this reboot problem) restored a OneDrive backup of your previous phone when setting up your lumia or did you start fresh? I'm going to format mine and try a fresh start, see if that works.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I never restored a backup on the 950 XL and removing the SD card does not make any difference. For me the problems start after pairing a Bluetooth LE device. Well, at least there is some hope now that the new Insider Build will fix those problems before I have to return the phone.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My card also seems to work fine with my Dell Venue 8 Pro.
I'm wondering have you (and other people with this reboot problem) restored a OneDrive backup of your previous phone when setting up your lumia or did you start fresh? I'm going to format mine and try a fresh start, see if that works.

I started fresh. I installed apps one by one. I even tried installing them without a queue...literally one by one. I could not try all this hard reset. I need my phones ability to take calls and I only have one SIM card.

Nqbus2001

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Alright, as i started this convo, i have been testing this the entire time. However I still have random restarts.

1. Took all apps off card, and stored on device - 2 reboots a day.
2. Hard reset, and placed all apps letter by letter to see what caused the issue. Random amount of restarts
3. Soft reset and SD card scan - eventually led to have window pop up say bad SD card, as errors were found.
I even tried using back ups, and not backups to see if it was an app issue. Formatted card in computer, and in the phone.

OK

Bought new card, another 128 SD card. Placed all apps back onto card, fine for a day, then random reboots.

Hard reset, started from clean install, looked at 1520 to see what apps I had, and installed the ones on that phone, fine for a day, then random restarts.

Even when the apps arent on the card, random reboots, when their on the card, more reboots. Im lost, and dont understand.

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I performed a factory reset WITHOUT restoring a backup this time and inserted a slower card (original was 128GB 80MB/s, switched to 128GB 48MB/s) and so far I have only had one restart. Both of these cards work perfectly on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, so it can't be the card's fault, so it's either: 1) Software is simply half-baked, 2) Lumia XL can't handle fast cards. I'm thinking it's most likely #1.
PS. Pocketnow video review of regular 950 also mentioned random restarts at 9:22.

We're just going to have to wait for a patch it seems.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I performed a factory reset WITHOUT restoring a backup this time and inserted a slower card (original was 128GB 80MB/s, switched to 128GB 48MB/s) and so far I have only had one restart. Both of these cards work perfectly on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, so it can't be the card's fault, so it's either: 1) Software is simply half-baked, 2) Lumia XL can't handle fast cards. I'm thinking it's most likely #1.
PS. Pocketnow video review of regular 950 also mentioned random restarts at 9:22.

We're just going to have to wait for a patch it seems.
Speed of you cards' not a factor but maybe the quality of the card maybe?

Lumia 950 XL has full support for UHS-I "SDR104" format witch is up to 104MB/s
I'm using Lexar 128GB Professional microSDXC UHS-II card (1000x) in my Lumia 950 XL and working fine!

http://www.lexar.com/products/professional-microsd-1000x

- UHS-I 104 MB/s
- UHS-II 150 MB/s half duplex

Backwards compatible with all old formats'

- UHS-I
- Class 10

I bought the card from here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUwpUvbUpU3328424

I put all my data on this fast 128GB card of course.
But I do have some trouble with WiFi 5GHz dropping and slow pick-up when in range! Using ASUS RT-AC87U 4?4 MU-MIMO "1734mbps" under newest 9313 firmware should not be an problem with my Lumia 950 XL witch is 2x2 MU-MIMO "900mbps" full support with dual antennas' ...10586.0 not finished maybe 10586.29 will fix everyone Issues?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital