Cortana on W10M > Android Auto

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I know those of us using W10M are in the < 0.5% market share crowd and we won't convince our friends that, "no really, W10M is so much better!!" anytime soon, but after flirting with Android for four days (including a road trip with lots of car time), I'm convinced I am not at all ready to leave W10M. The "benefits" of Android (apps I guess?) came nowhere near the drawbacks, and instead of droning on I'll just focus on how much better the integration of Cortana in the Car is than Android Auto.

Cortana is a phone conversation, not a media app.

This is the most fundamental difference between Cortana on W10M (Windows Phone) and 'Ok Google' on Android. Having a simulated phone conversation with Cortana takes advantage of all the features your car already has built-in to Bluetooth conversations (and has for the past decade). Many cars automatically mute media/audio (or pause it), turn down your A/C fan speed, and more, so that people can hear you on the other end and you can get back to what you were doing before the conversation seamlessly. In this case it is Cortana, but how sweet it is. The dictation is perfect and I never miss a note on the song I was listening to, perfectly resuming when the Cortana conversation is over.

With Android Auto, it was immensely frustrating. I had to have the Android Auto App running, the media selection in my car had to be on my phone (not the radio, for example), the system had to be unmuted, and then ONLY if all of these things were true could you then interact by saying 'OK Google' which worked about 1/3 the time. Once it did come up, about another 1/3 the time it would pick up a few words from the podcast I was listening to and do a wonderful Google search for me on whatever it heard. How nice! :eek:rly:

Seriously, this may seem like a minor area, but I use Cortana for sending/receiving texts every single time I'm in my car, flawlessly. When I remember something I use her to remind me, flawlessly. I can ask her to dial a contact, flawlessly. I can even email someone with her, but I do that less often. And it all works just brilliantly with any standard Bluetooth connection - no Android Auto/Car Play needed, not to mention the ability to put her on speed-dial - no yelling 'OK GOOGLE' to wake it up.

Has anyone done a full in-depth comparison of this to show just how bad those systems are? It really opened my eyes to yet another example of how great the core of W10M is even if the app store is limited.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
this may seem like a minor area...

I wouldn't call it minor at all. I've taken this for granted for the past couple of years, and losing this capability is a major neutering of the phone in my opinion.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I am now sporting an Iphone and feel like screaming every time I use the pathetic sub par Siri in the car. Haven't been able to figure out how to launch Cortana from the steering wheel.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the major reasons I came back to my 640 after trying Android for a couple of months. I just couldn't believe how primitive it was in this regard. And 70% of smartphone users put up with this crap? They have no clue what they are missing. I'll be on WM until the last Lumia dies.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am now sporting an Iphone and feel like screaming every time I use the pathetic sub par Siri in the car. Haven't been able to figure out how to launch Cortana from the steering wheel.

I agree with that. I do have to laugh sometimes though at the crazy things she thinks I am trying to say.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I am using Cortana on my car too and she works brilliantly. I, however, do not use the function 'hey Cortana' as she randomly wake up during my meetings. I did put her on my car speed dial and put a voice command.
So, to wake her up, I just need to press a button on my steering wheel and say the voice command ('Cortana' of course).
She has been brilliant with me. I haven't used iOS or Android yet so I cannot say on that.
Two other thing to point out are:
1) Whenever I listen to groove music through Bluetooth to my car, I can activate Cortana normally and the phone pause the music for me.
2) This is not about Cortana but I experienced perfect pausing and resuming once I leave the car (and Bluetooth disconnect) and come back into the car (and Bluetooth reconnect).

I am in awe, Ma'am and Sir.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I could activate Cortana with my steering wheel by holding down the voice command button for a few seconds instead of just pushing and releasing it quickly. That was on my 2014 Chevrolet Volt. I would assume it would be the same for all GM vehicles with MyLink.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte