Cortana vs. Car Bluetooth - what the heck happened?!

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I can live with most of the quirks of beta software, but the craptastic way that Cortana interacts with my Sync Gen 2 (4.30.13171) system our '13 Edge is infuriating.

Issues
  1. Rarely, very rarely will Cortana read a text message today. She will tease me that I received a text, ask me if I want it read or ignored and then closes without reading the text.
  2. If I am lucky enough for Cortana to read a text message to me and I reply, Cortana is stuck in an open position and prevents any further interaction until I unlock the phone (at a stop light of course) and clear Cortana.
  3. If I "call" Cortana to send a text, Cortana is stuck in an open position and prevents any further interaction until I unlock the phone (at a stop light of course) and clear Cortana
  4. Under Windows 10 Mobile, all sounds for email, text, and notifications are lost as it attempts to play them through the car via Bluetooth

Cortana + Bluetooth in the car was beautiful under Windows Phone 8.1. None of the issues mentioned above occurred under Windows Phone 8.1.

This occurred under the 10586 branch and has only gotten worse under 142xx (Redstone) branch. At this point, I am looking to leave the Insider Program and suffer with the production branch, but I'm stuck with 2 critical apps on my phone.

Are others having problems with Cortana in their car? Please post which system and version you have in your car please.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, MS needs to get this one fixed, and while they're at it, they need to stop lowering the Bluetooth volume when my phone is restarted...

The only fix I've found for getting Cortana back to reading texts aloud, is to hold power and volume down untold the phone reboots (soft reset)... This will fix it for a day or two.

One thing I did notice, is that this isn't an issue with the Bluetooth in your car or Bluetooth in general... You can change the seeing to always read aloud incoming text messages and Cortana has the exact same issue just using the mic and speakers on the phone.

I'd recommend opening Cortana and navigate to the feedback link and let MS know your having the issue.

cannon#WP

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I've had problems with W10m & Cortana + car Bluetooth for months now so I just turned off all functionality beyond calls. It's also not device dependent as I've had these problems with Lumia AND HTC.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be working better, however I haven't driven much this weekend, so it could just be a fluke.

Donaldson86

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Having no luck at all with Bluetooth in the latest build on 950. Continuously disconnecting.......first time I've had to listen to the radio in a long time!

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rarely, very rarely will Cortana read a text message today. She will tease me that I received a text, ask me if I want it read or ignored and then closes without reading the text.

Had this issue with my Lumia 930 when I went to Windows 10 and same on my Lumia 950. I have a Subaru Forester MY13. Basically Cortana on windows 10 is completely broken. Like SMS sync and so many other things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077