Custom UI for windows mobile

ChethanR

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Do you think Microsoft will allow to change the UI based on OEM needs to attract their customers. Like some launchers in android.

Even I don't like my lollipop UI so installed nova launcher.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Part of Microsoft's strategy is for the UI to be familiar to the 110+ million Windows 10 users on PC. Every time you open the Start menu it looks like the Windows Phone Start screen. If they allowed OEMs to change that, they lose the connection between the OSes, and that familiarity.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you think Microsoft will allow to change the UI based on OEM needs to attract their customers. Like some launchers in android.

The short answer to this mind-boggling conundrum would be... wait for it... NO :D

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the live tiles don't work for everybody, but here's the secret... If you want sth to "work" for you, you'll find a way :)

Anyhu there was this rumor that MS has patented the rights for a phone/device that will allow users to choose which platform they want to use on it.. So who knows

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows UI is the most customizable UI out there. People fail to see the kind of things you can do with it. You just have to play around. I mean these 2 are so completely different and nothing crazy had to be installed to do it.

wp_ss_20150908_0003.png

wp_ss_20150630_0001.png

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

No, I don't think so. Those launchers in Android are a potential security risk and, if true, are certainly not welcome in the Windows 10 technosystem. Different operating systems cater to different types of users differentiated by their tastes, preferences and needs. It may be attractive to some to have extra customizable features, but I believe Windows 10 was designed to be a professional tool, not a toy - so if the customizations don't really contribute to the productivity of the user, such as extraneous animations, skins or shells, they may as well not appear in Windows 10 at all.

Also, if we're going towards discussions on market share, it would be wiser for a company to highlight the differences and benefits they have over a different platform rather than to adapt the features of a competing platform (if market share is already low given a strong brand identity (Windows 10), that share will vanish once the identity is lost).

Note that this is different from being able to run Android apps... that's not UI.

bhtkb

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
No, I don't think so. Those launchers in Android are a potential security risk and, if true, are certainly not welcome in the Windows 10 technosystem. Different operating systems cater to different types of users differentiated by their tastes, preferences and needs. It may be attractive to some to have extra customizable features, but I believe Windows 10 was designed to be a professional tool, not a toy - so if the customizations don't really contribute to the productivity of the user, such as extraneous animations, skins or shells, they may as well not appear in Windows 10 at all.

Also, if we're going towards discussions on market share, it would be wiser for a company to highlight the differences and benefits they have over a different platform rather than to adapt the features of a competing platform (if market share is already low given a strong brand identity (Windows 10), that share will vanish once the identity is lost).

Note that this is different from being able to run Android apps... that's not UI.

Though, it is sad that they completely adapted a form of Android UX in their own apps. Whenever I open the store app, I feel pain seeing how similar ( and uglier compared to 8.1) it is to playstore. Not to mention those circular loading animations and hamburger menus scattered everywhere :/

mckoo

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't think so. The layout should be standardized, however you can customize the design such as background wallpaper, live tiles.
This is good to create familiarity.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting if Microsoft allows it. The OEMs have complained about it in the past and they want more control over the OS like on Android. I believe it would bring more OEMs to Windows 10 mobile. Microsoft has been preaching the same user experience across all Windows 10 devices. So the answer is no. It seems Microsoft is more interested in the enterprise market than the consumer market.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
To be hoinest, UI is beautiful now with w10, so I don't have a need to play and change it.
But on Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 UI was big suffering.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Just messing with transparency and contrast settings and other stuff. You can even get a program like #tileart that lets you get transparent png files from bing images or google images and then apply them to tiles. There's even apps that change icons for you and let you create your own icons.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Though, it is sad that they completely adapted a form of Android UX in their own apps. Whenever I open the store app, I feel pain seeing how similar ( and uglier compared to 8.1) it is to playstore. Not to mention those circular loading animations and hamburger menus scattered everywhere :/

If I remember correctly, the circular loading animations have been with Microsoft since Windows Mobile 2003, and has been improved through Windows Mobile 6.5.3... which puts Microsoft ahead of Android by at least three years. Even the hamburger menus are reminiscent of the old mobile start page in Windows Mobile. In fact, Windows Mobile had a huge market share peaking at 2007 - which was the year when Android and iOS were announced.

I can't comment in-detail on the UX/UI of Android and iOS because I haven't even accumulated 30 minutes in using an Android and an iOS device combined, even if 95% of those around me are using them. I also haven't tried the technical preview. I definitely prefer the UX/UI of Windows Phone 8.1 over its competitors - the live tiles, customization, etc. feel natural to me.

A quick survey of those around me had mixed reactions about Windows Phones - a lot were impressed (of course, I'm showing the L1020 and the camera), some didn't know what it was and there were some who were adamantly not in favor of it - the didn't like the interface, it was "confusing", they couldn't navigate, etc... In fact, my first Windows Phone was given to me for free because the original user (and those around her, including some tech guys) didn't understand how to use it, while it took me just a few minutes to figure everything out.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference. Being able to add customization options may be nice, but it should follow a standardized and brand-recognizable theme. It also should be implemented natively from the OS, not through some extra shell. It's always risky to choose between lowering* a company's standards to the expectations of the customers and setting a new standard which the customers will look for.

- I chose "lowering" in analogy with the Bell-curve distribution for population-related criteria.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb