Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

My Lumia 920 has been really nagging me since DP 8.1... At first, it started draining my battery like I've never seen before, battery life went from 24-30 hours to 4-5 hours. After trying everything I could come up with, I did a hard reset. Even though I backed up everything, I lost almost all my text / SMS (maybe because they were from my old carrier, but still, they were on the phone?), and Here Drive, Maps etc were no longer installed, I needed to go to the Store to get them back. The battery life is a little bit better, but not more than 10 hours...

The worst thing, though, is that the phone crashes like in CRASH! About 1-2 times per day, it is totally dead, nothing works, so I can't turn it on normally using the power button, and it is not responsive to USB connection either. Only way to wake it up, is doing a soft reset using Volume Down and Power at the same time. Anyone else noticing this?

I must say that if what I read somewhere "don't worry, DP 8.1 is actually the actual version sent to OEM's like Nokia, and the only changes will be whatever they do to customize the software", I'm leaving this ship :)

Kind regards,
Tommy

So after you installed 8.1 you did a hard reset and when setting the phone up again you restored your setting? You should not restore from a backup after hard reset after installing 8.1

Tommy Larsen

May 12, 2014
Visit site

I might try to do it again, without restoring the settings. It's driving me nuts, but on the other hand, I'll also go nuts when I need to find and reinstall everything.... ;)

Any good programs that would backup all contents on my phone, so I could find it on my Mac / PC after a clean install of the phone?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Your photos will be saved to Onedrive but you will lose everything else. If you bought apps they will ask you to purchase them again but when you tap buy they will then tell you that you already own it and install it.

The problem with restoring after 8.1 is that your restoring all the problems. If you know what I mean.

LeHoangHa

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been experiencing this since I updated my phone to WP 8.1 so I think this is a bug or something. I usually create a WIFI connection by using "netsh wlan" in Windows 7. Before I updated, my phone could still remain connected to the WIFI. But now my phone is updated, and when I connect to the WIFI, sometimes my phone shows that I have limited access to the WIFI, and I don't have the access right. So has anyone experienced this or it's just me? :-s

rodrigobarg

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
So camera on my 1520 is unusable (first after taking a picture, I got a black screen with "saving..." that would never save, now the image is just flickering and pink and blue and etc), so I read that I should hard reset my phone, but then there's the bug that if you hard reset, you cannot access camera anymore. Do I hard reset or not? Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Dropped Wp8.1 and reverted back to 8.0. Too much issues on my 1520. I'll wait for the public release and hope that all these glitches will be fixed.

I did the same on my Lumia Icon. Not because I had a lot of issues, I only had problem with WiFi dropping a few times, but because I want to avoid having to revert again if more bugs show up... I gotta say, 8.1 is a huge step forward. I really miss it. :/ Can't wait for the official release!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

The only bug I've noticed so far on my 1020 is when moving some of my apps around on the start menu causes skipping or if i try to move up the page it stutters.

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bug: Unable to change the background image or name of the Kid's Corner

Has anybody else noticed that after upgrading to WP8.1 that you can't change the name or background image on the Kid's Corner lock screen?

I had Kid's Corner set up when I was running WP8 on my Icon. I changed the title to say "Gabby's Corner" and changed the lock screen image to a picture of her. However, after upgrading to WP8.1 I did a hard reset and did not restore from a backup. When I tried set up Kid's Corner like I had it previously, I could not change the lock screen image, nor could I change the name to what I had previously.

Am I missing a setting, or did Microsoft change something and not realize it?

Still works the same for me on my Lumia 925. While in Kid's Corner, I hit the "Customize" tile and set the name and background image in there.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got 8.1 but IE11 still struggles to display pictures correctly on Facebook. Most of them are oversized. Tried deleting cache, logging out, restarting phone and removing cookies but problem still prevails.

Also when I try to view some pics on the official Facebook app, instead of displaying the pic on the app itself it opens the web browser and then the pic is displayed. Some pics are displayed within the app itself though.

For example there was a picture on Facebook my friend had commented on and tagged me in the comment. When I tried viewing the comment she made using the Facebook app it opened the IE web browser and showed me the pic. The problem was that I wanted to comment on the same picture and tag her in the comment but was unable to do so (because we can't tag names on Facebook using IE11).

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, not just the Facebook pictures display horribly in IE11. The link I mentioned above, www.aftonbladet.se has problems when showing pictures in articles too, as do others. Had to hold and press to save the picture in many cases to see it.

sLedgem

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Problem with nokia ck-100 car kit and WP 8.1:

When connecting for the first time on bluetooth it connects and reconnects about 3-5 times before it becomes stable and doesn't disconnect again. New bug since wp 8.0

ptfuzi

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
For the first time my phone was really hot, without use, lost 70% of battery within 2 hours without nothing opened.
well, just the browser.
i turned off, waited for it to cool down, and when i turn on it wouldn't connect to wifi, restarted again and everything went fine.
Strange...

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why we can't tag our friends in comments using the IE browser. We can do so in Android's stock browser. Also why does the Facebook App have to open IE to show me a picture when it can easily show it to me within the app itself.

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Do to know any solution for this ?
u4utenym.png

Apurv Patani

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey can anybody help.... Actually whenever I lock or unlock my phone... There is no locking or unlocking sound.... What's the problem...i an not able to figure it out... Can anybody help?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria