Device limit reached for installing apps & games

kjnoel

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I joined the insider program last year and basically upgraded to all builds from the very first public build. Before then, I was using Windows 8.1 PRO on my Asus Vivobook which was legit (pro license through my school's DreamSpark program).
I was on buil 10240 and decided to download the media creator tool for Windows 10 and chose the first option which was Upgrade my PC.
I chose to keep nothing. It installed, I logged in Windows is not activated.
I try installing / updating apps from the store and it won't work. Each time, I get an email from Microsoft saying Device limit reached for installing apps & games. I removed 2 devices.

Now I have 2 devices running Windows 10, the Lumia 822 on insider preview, and Windows 10 Laptop and still have the same issue.
So my problems now are:

1. Not activated and
2. Can't install apps.

Any solutions?

Screenshot (2).png

2RBau

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Same here ... only have 3 Devices running Win10 ... have another 3 devices to update yet ... looks like this is going to be interesting! Have just tried "Contact Support" who didn't believe I'd received an Email, so logged in to check, then just said try updating the other devices & see if they work!!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You may have to install from a valid 7 (sp1) or 8.1 system. The upgrade reads your valid license and converts you for 10.

They say your license is in the cloud at that point... Whatever, me being paranormal paranoid, I say capture that 10 key anyway.

Yes I understand Insider trading program and all, but using a valid 7 or 8.1 and letting upgrade convert you to Genuine 10 is the safe route.

Then do your clean install where it may or may not ask for the 10 key I advise you to capture. You can always throw it out if you don't need it. Right?

Install and validate what was on your system prior to Insider and jump through the hoops. Sorry.

kjnoel

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
You may have to install from a valid 7 (sp1) or 8.1 system. The upgrade reads your valid license and converts you for 10.

They say your license is in the cloud at that point... Whatever, me being paranormal paranoid, I say capture that 10 key anyway.

Yes I understand Insider trading program and all, but using a valid 7 or 8.1 and letting upgrade convert you to Genuine 10 is the safe route.

Then do your clean install where it may or may not ask for the 10 key I advise you to capture. You can always throw it out if you don't need it. Right?

Install and validate what was on your system prior to Insider and jump through the hoops. Sorry.

Thanks but at this point that it quite unreasonable. A fix should be issued because while I understand that there are expected kinks. I did have a valid license and did not clean install and according to what Microsoft has said, there should not be that problem.
I do not know what criteria they use to see if you used your limit but it seems to not be working as I cannot install apps from the store and there needs to be a solution. Might as well just bump up the limit back to the 81 devices until they sort out that problem.
Screenshot (3).png

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've got one device running 10 and it is telling me to remove one of them. This Windows 10 is a disaster. I cant believe if it is this messed up that they didn't delay it.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just received the email. I am only running W10 on two devices but somehow they are seeing a previous insider builds on both my phone and pc

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK... I just got declined for some Apps in the store.

I went through store settings (click your avatar in the top bar > settings) and selected "Only update the tile when I'm on Wifi" and my apps downloaded/updated.

Coincidence? Maybe. And maybe it doesn't have anything to do with lag on the validation servers. I apologize for my earlier supposition.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I got the same email. One of my accounts is the one I've used for the preview in a VM and another laptop, so I guess those were the 2 devices it showed. The email came immediately after I connected that account to the mail app. It is not the one that my (currently) only Windows 10 main service is signed in with. Then later in the day I got an email for another account (again, not the one I am using on the PC I just upgraded today). That account has never in any way been connected to Windows 10 until I added it to the mail app today, so obviously out can't exceed devices. When I checked earlier today that account showed no devices. I haven't checked since the email came. Weird. I don't know how it will affect apps. I've only downloaded one so far. But my main amount that I am signed in with on the computer that was upgraded today hadn't had any emails about devices.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I got the same email but only have W10 on dev preview for phone and my upgraded SP3. I think these emails were sent in error as I haven't reached the 10 device limit

Stuart C

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I tried the insider on phone and tablet (removed again because buggy). Now I get the email after two installs of Win10. I have 5 devices only - 4 PCs (desktop, laptop, HTPC and 8" tablet) and a phone. All with valid Windows 8/8.1 licenses. One PC is MSDN.

I think their license servers are borked. Otherwise, it's an 8.1 downgrade for me!

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Snap and Stuart and I logged this on another story. I'm in a similar position whereby I have a Lumia phone, media PC that updated to Win 10 last night, and an HP laptop running Win 10 via insider program. I received the e-mail late last night having set up the media pc stating I had reached my limit. What? with 3 devices ?!

I have yet to get Win 10 on my server pc and second media pc in the bedroom which currently won't install Win 10 and comes up with the error each time in the windows update that many others have shared on the forums. I'm now beginning to wonder that the three device limit may be the cause of the other devices failing to install Windows. I've logged it with MS but yet to receive a reply. I suspect having read this thread, there are plenty of others affected.

I will only be running a total of 5 Windows devices, and until last night hasn't ever been a problem whilst running Win 8.1

Last edited:

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Snap and Stuart and I logged this on another story. I'm in a similar position whereby I have a Lumia phone, media PC that updated to Win 10 last night, and an HP laptop running Win 10 via insider program. I received the e-mail late last night having set up the media pc stating I had reached my limit. What? with 3 devices ?!

I have yet to get Win 10 on my server pc and second media pc in the bedroom which currently won't install Win 10 and comes up with the error each time in the windows update that many others have shared on the forums. I'm now beginning to wonder that the three device limit may be the cause of the other devices failing to install Windows. I've logged it with MS but yet to receive a reply. I suspect having read this thread, there are plenty of others affected.

I will only be running a total of 5 Windows devices, and until last night hasn't ever been a problem whilst running Win 8.1

I have a Windows Phone, Surface 2, a laptop, and a PC. If they think they are going to limit me so I cant use all of these, that will be the final straw and I'm out the door. 10 has already been a mess, but this will be it for me. Fix it and fix it quick or I am out.

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping it's just a case of a blip and that they resolve this, otherwise like you there could be potentially hundreds of thousands of people, maybe millions affected by this in having more than three devices. Time will tell....

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping it's just a case of a blip and that they resolve this, otherwise like you there could be potentially hundreds of thousands of people, maybe millions affected by this in having more than three devices. Time will tell....
It better be an accident. They try and sell you all these devices .... I'll be pretty pissed off if they punish me for supporting them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo