Did anybody go from a Lumia 1020 to the 640 XL?

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody went from a 1020 to a 640 XL and how much better the performance is on the 640XL?

Is it worth the upgrade? I know the camera isn't as good as there's only 1GB of RAM, but I don't think the Lumia 1020 really gets much from that extra RAM considering how dated the CPU is. I'd miss the camera that's for sure, but I'd probably feel this way no matter what, since they isn't going to be another 41 megapixel camera on a Microsoft phone for a long time.

I'm considering one of the new flagship Windows 10 devices later this year, but may hold out a little longer rather than jumping right into a new contract just to get the latest phone and buy a flagship sim free in 2016.

For now, getting something either used (1520 maybe) or new and SIM Free (640 XL) would give me a performance boost whilst keeping my ongoing costs low by switching to a SIM only contract.

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody went from a 1020 to a 640 XL and how much better the performance is on the 640XL?

Is it worth the upgrade? I know the camera isn't as good as there's only 1GB of RAM, but I don't think the Lumia 1020 really gets much from that extra RAM considering how dated the CPU is. I'd miss the camera that's for sure, but I'd probably feel this way no matter what, since they isn't going to be another 41 megapixel camera on a Microsoft phone for a long time.

I'm considering one of the new flagship Windows 10 devices later this year, but may hold out a little longer rather than jumping right into a new contract just to get the latest phone and buy a flagship sim free in 2016.

For now, getting something either used (1520 maybe) or new and SIM Free (640 XL) would give me a performance boost whilst keeping my ongoing costs low by switching to a SIM only contract.

I am using both 1020 and 640XL.
The later is a pretty good performing phone except for the main camera. 1020's camera is unparalleled. 640XL's glance is only half functional. The screen is a bit dull as compared to 1020, but then the size of the screen of 640xl makes up for it. The front camera of 640xl is far superior than 1020, but then 640xl lacks a physical camera button which makes taking selfies and normal pics a tad difficult and slower.
Apart from that, there is not much to choose between the two as far as performance is concerned. At present, 640xl is probably the best phone around.

However, by no stretch of imagination can you say that 640xl will be an upgrade over 1020. Don't know what grade it will be, but certainly not an upgrade. Side grade, hmmmmm.... Not sure about that too. Sort of a down grade....

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison between the two. I think taking into account things like the lack of a physical camera button, it would be better to go for a Lumia 930 or a 1520 if I'm not going to wait.

I do think the 930 is a gorgeous phone and from what I've seen the camera comes really close to the 1020 in terms of overall quality and user experience combined - With it being faster and having access to some of the newer features. The 1020 isn't bad to use, I've had it about 2 years and never regretted opting for it.

It would just be nice to get that boost in performance and access to things like "Hey Cortana" and other features the 1020 just isn't able to do. I'll have to think about it a bit longer.

If my 1020 broke today and I needed a quick and low cost replacement the 640XL would definitely be near the top of the list. A brand new 930 and 1520 are still a bit pricey considering there will be new phones in the ?400+ ish area in a few months.

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest that you wait for the next wave of phones. 930 and 1520, though good, are now old and MAY not support new features coming in with Windows 10 mobile, like usb on the go. Hey Cortana will work with 930 and 1520 I guess, but does not works with 640xl. At this point of time, if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the fresh phones.

Prabaharan D

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat now, being craked my NL1020 screen. Opted for a b Stock 1520 at Expansis site for $199 instead of new 640 XL. Also found out that, i will loose all my chats in whatsapp since 1020 has no memory card to export/save the whatsapp chats. :( do anyone have an alternate options to still carry the chats to the new phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon