Disenchanted with design, lack of SD, and lack of glance? Well, Lumia 930 was not intended 4 u!

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
ok: so yes, i agree with folks who say design is uninspiring (even though it looks like the phone is still 10 times nicer than the verizon bland version, check out the vids guys). And yes, i agree that glance is super cool and useful. Not sure why people need SD card but forget about all that. Here is the deal folks:

Who should get the 930?
People who are iOS or Android users who are now contemplating wp due to the 8.1 update. For those people, 930 is a fantastic way to enter the world of wp.

Who should NOT get the 930?
Us!... The 930 is not intended for current wp users because it is neither a revolutionary upgrade to the venerable 920 (hence only a difference of 10 between 930-920), nor a necessity to obtain the 8.1 update. See android users have to purchase a new phone every year just so that they get the updated OS. Therefore, they meditate over specs every year. Thankfully, we dont have to go through that crap. 8.1 is coming to all wp 8 devices, which is a feat that MS deserves credit for. I am very critical of MS and 8.1 but credit has to be given where its due, as in the case of the early arrival of 8.1 through the dev preview program, and the ability of all wp 8 devices (both old and new) to download 8.1.

So in closing: Stick to your 920 folks, and watch it become a totally new phone once the 8.1 update is there.
When should we buy new phones? When Nokia releases a phone that's 4'5-5 inch, at least 1080 res, not less than 41 mp cam, xenon flash, quad core processor, glance, with fixed/fast camera software, and 3d touch. Now that's when we should upgrade. Until then, leave the phablets and the 930 to the new converts.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Disenchanted design; not really...lack of SD card; yes...glance; I have a 520 in Canada so maybe I don't know what glance is.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I was a 920 user and I find the 930 a lot better in design. It looks like a premium device and the build quality is probably just as good as Nokia has used us to. The 920, on the other hand, FELT premium but didn't LOOK premium in my opinion. I'm not saying that I didn't like its design, I liked it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but the aluminium is so much more sophisticated, that's why I also preferred the 925 over the 920.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No. I think Android and iPhone users would find the 925 design to be premium. Why would an Android switch from an HTC One M8 to a Nokia Lumia 930? Hey wouldn't, they'd probably try a 630/635 first (it even has an SD Card and Glance) . I think Nokia messed up.

Juan Pablo Ursic

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Why would i stick to my 920? I mean, 5", 1080p, Snapdragon 800, 20mpx camera, better sound recording and now even Dolby Digital 5.1 recording. Sleek design, with matte back, no glossy polycarbonate of the 920 that it's scratchable as hell.

I am right now an Android user with a LG Optimus G and a MOTO X coming, and also my daily driver is a 920. I want 930 all the way.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use the monstrosity called Note 2. Although the battery is great but it has stared lagging..And I am Bored with android. I also don't like Google looking thru all my personal info. .
I have used 920 in the past. Only thing I did not like was battery backup. .
930 looks promising..looking forward to it...
:)

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
No. I think Android and iPhone users would find the 925 design to be premium. Why would an Android switch from an HTC One M8 to a Nokia Lumia 930? Hey wouldn't, they'd probably try a 630/635 first (it even has an SD Card and Glance) . I think Nokia messed up.

There is absolutely no way someone would switch from a HTC M8 to a Lumia 630/635. The HTC flagship is an absolute premium device, and if someone switches, they would switch to an equally premium device. The L630/635 would not be in the same league. Logically, they would switch to something like the 1520 or the 1020. Why would you switch from the HTC M8 to Nokia? The big screen of the 1520 or the 41MP camera of the 1020. Nothing else would make sense. Just remember, the M8 has 16GB internal storage, up to 128GB micro SD and 65GB free on Google Drive. Nothing in Nokia's range can compete with this. So to switch to Nokia would be for other reasons such as screen size and camera.

I do think it is the other way around. People who like Windows phone and Nokia switching to other brands for reasons such as the huge storage capacity. As I said myself, I seriously considered the M8 myself for that reason plus that fantastic dot matrix cover-incredible innovation. But I am not convinced by a miserly 4MP "UltraPixel" camera and so it was a deal breaker for me.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Dumb thread

Not really. I do agree with him on some points. But I don't think the 930's design is "uninspiring". IMO, it is one of the best designs out there. And I'm SURE that it will feel awesome when you hold it. Much better than the 920. Over all, it might not be a replacement to the 920, but it definitely comes close.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My initial reaction to the 930 was 'Damn! I'm going to have to upgrade.', because I had planned to stay with my 920 for two years and money is tight. However, the lack of SD support and Glance means I will stay with the 920.

I love the design of the 930, but I had hoped my next device would make my iPod obsolete, so I'm now considering the 1520 plus a 128Gb SD. I also find myself thinking that the 1520 might make a useful writing tool for when I don't want to carry my Surface. Perhaps a 935 with SD card support and Glance might tempt me, but 1520 is looking a lot less absurd than it did last week.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it was intended for people like me. I had an Android, but wanted to see what the WP OS was all about so I bought a 520 sim free with the intention of upgrading to the new flagship that was replacing the 920 when it was announced. Obviously the 930 is a big upgrade and I love the design more than the 920 or 925. Lack of glance is my biggest problem and is making me think twice about buying it. It's such a small thing but one of my favourite features of Nokia phones.

I'm quite happy with the 520 so I might wait for a 935. It should have been a phone that I didn't think twice about buying because I had decided ages ago that I would get the next flagship. But as it is I'm undecided.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I was a 920 user and I find the 930 a lot better in design. It looks like a premium device and the build quality is probably just as good as Nokia has used us to. The 920, on the other hand, FELT premium but didn't LOOK premium in my opinion. I'm not saying that I didn't like its design, I liked it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but the aluminium is so much more sophisticated, that's why I also preferred the 925 over the 920.

Lumia 930 is made up of Polycarbonate, only the frame, that surrounds the device is made up of Aluminium. I myself like the design of 930, as it looks like premiumed device

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
There's one drive for extra storage. They can't do anything about the glance, because of the screen type chosen for this handset. If it comes out to the US with qi wireless charging (built in) and at least 32 GB of storage, I'm still getting it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)