Do ANY unlocked WP8 devices allow tethering on AT&T's MediaNet/Non-Smartphone Unlimited Data plan??

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Do ANY unlocked WP8 devices allow tethering on AT&T's MediaNet/Non-Smartphone Unlimited Data plan??

If anyone has such a device that works with tethering, please let me know... pm or post. If you somehow forced the device to tether, please tell me how you did it. I was able to flash an Argentinian ROM and tinker with some registry settings on my WP7 to get this to work, but to me, it seems WP8 is more locked down.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do ANY unlocked WP8 devices allow tethering on AT&T's MediaNet/Non-Smartphone Unlimited Data pla

Until we have access to the registry, free tethering must be done through apps like tether-x

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do ANY unlocked WP8 devices allow tethering on AT&T's MediaNet/Non-Smartphone Unlimited Data pla

That's disheartening. I was hoping to be able to forgo the lack of WP apps like HBOGo, or my bank account app, etc, by being able to tether my iPad mini to my phone when traveling. I have a W8 hybrid, but it isn't as portable as the iPad mini for everyday use, and using websites still isn't as convenient as using an app especially when on the go.

I really hope there is some solution to enable built in tethering so that I don't end up having to suffer through another Android device on account of this issue with free tethering.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

You can jailbreak the iPad, use the WiFi share thing from cydia, then use tether-X on WP8.

You could also pay for tethering through your carrier... But please don't.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks link, is active development of opening up the registry currently being done? If so, what's the most active forum?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

There are a few thousand Nokia Lumia 920 Dev phones out there that can do this (the only unlocked dev phones I know) if you can find one. Also, if you purchase from Canada, most of them allow tethering as well. With the dev phone, you still need to install a keyboard in order for tethering to work with AT&T. Hacking carrier phone is not that easy. There is no known method for WP8 (other than some Samsung phones IIRC).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks link, is active development of opening up the registry currently being done? If so, what's the most active forum?

Over at XDA they've exploited Samsung firmware to unlock registry access in the ativ S (among other things), but Samsung aren't the best programmers... so I don't think we're close to finding other user reproducable exploits.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

There are a few thousand Nokia Lumia 920 Dev phones out there that can do this (the only unlocked dev phones I know) if you can find one. Also, if you purchase from Canada, most of them allow tethering as well. With the dev phone, you still need to install a keyboard in order for tethering to work with AT&T. Hacking carrier phone is not that easy.

Is it confirmed that the dev phones can tether on a non smartphone unlimited ATT data plan? Also, are the dev phones running different hardware? I would assume that a ROM flash could make any 920 a dev phone, no?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

You could subscribe to T-mobile's $70 unlimited plan which includes 2.5GB of tethering which is also unlimited because T-mobile doesn't do a good job detecting tethering from WP8 devices (some things are detected while other things aren't).

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I currently get my unlimited data and messaging on ATT for $30. On Android and WP7, that pricing includes tethering. I'm going to try and play around with things to see if I can get things to work on my 925, I may consider getting a dev 920, but that would be a step back and I wouldn't want to be stuck with it while the rest of the world moves on.

A main difference is that my data plan uses completely different APNs than the newer plans. I wish I could tell if it is a flag that Nokia set upon detection of ATT SIMS or if I just need to be able to change my tethering independently of whatever Nokia auto suggests.​

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Is it confirmed that the dev phones can tether on a non smartphone unlimited ATT data plan? Also, are the dev phones running different hardware? I would assume that a ROM flash could make any 920 a dev phone, no?

The key here is that the Dev phones have a range of IMEI that AT&T has no clue of. It is not just ROM (yes, the ROM come with no AT&T specific software to limit you in most case but you still need a keyboard install work around to enable the tethering on AT&T). So, any data plan goes. But don't think for a minute that you can do whatever you want with the tethering because AT&T does packet snooping as well. So, sooner or later they will catch you tethering to your laptop. I only use tethering to offer internet for other smartphones.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Potentially bad news: I unbranded my Lumia 920 on AT&T last year (it is now effectively a French developer phone) which allowed it to receive the Amber/GDR2 update long before AT&T decided to release it, allowed it to get Data Sense (which AT&T has never released) and allowed free data tethering (which AT&T would charge extra for). I received the GDR3 Dev Preview a while back, and all was still good.

However, after receiving the Nokia Black update, it appears that I have now lost the ability to data tether unless I acquiesce to an AT&T data ripoff plan, even though it is not an AT&T device anymore. It's probably time now to look for a new carrier . . .

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Potentially bad news: I unbranded my Lumia 920 on AT&T last year (it is now effectively a French developer phone) which allowed it to receive the Amber/GDR2 update long before AT&T decided to release it, allowed it to get Data Sense (which AT&T has never released) and allowed free data tethering (which AT&T would charge extra for). I received the GDR3 Dev Preview a while back, and all was still good.

However, after receiving the Nokia Black update, it appears that I have now lost the ability to data tether unless I acquiesce to an AT&T data ripoff plan, even though it is not an AT&T device anymore. It's probably time now to look for a new carrier . . .

A couple of things.
1. Technically it still is an AT&T device b/c AT&T sold you your 925 and AT&T knows/recognizes the IMEI of any device they sell
2. Did you also install updates for access point? B//c that may be what bricked your internet sharing
3. Try the keyboard hack and/or a hard reset to see if that re-enables internet sharing in your case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo