Do I STILL need to buy my own Office Suite?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My work gives me Office 365, do I still need to buy my own? I just thought about this and mad that I never thought of this before.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I get Office 365 through work as well. I inquired about whether it is legitimate to use it for home use. The answer is that it is legit and legal to use work provided Office 365 for home use.

After I found that out, I dropped my personal subscription. All I use it for anyway is to install Office programs. I don't use OneDrive, Skype, or any other feature. I primarily just use Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

If I used some of the cloud features, I would probably keep a personal subscription in order to keep everything tied to my personal Microsoft account, but that's not the case for me.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I get Office 365 through work as well. I inquired about whether it is legitimate to use it for home use. The answer is that it is legit and legal to use work provided Office 365 for home use.

After I found that out, I dropped my personal subscription. All I use it for anyway is to install Office programs. I don't use OneDrive, Skype, or any other feature. I primarily just use Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

If I used some of the cloud features, I would probably keep a personal subscription in order to keep everything tied to my personal Microsoft account, but that's not the case for me.
Thanks.

I use all the other stuff (OneDrive, Skype, etc.) but it's always work related. I wonder though if I'll lose everything if I cancel my personal one.

bradwestness

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I have my own personal Office 365 subscription even though I also have it through work, mostly because that way me and my wife can both use the 1TB of OneDrive storage for automatic backup of our photos and music and whatnot.

We used to have Windows Phones but have since switched to Android when it became clear that Windows 10 Mobile was being abandoned by MS. I think it still makes sense though, as even if you don't care about the Office applications, the OneDrive storage is still cheaper than any of the various Google Drive/DropBox/iCloud/Crash plan alternatives.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I maintain both. If you have personal stuff on the corporate side, you can, and in most cases will, be locked out of access to them when you separate employment.

Our separation process - even for retirees or people leaving in good terms - includes changing the account password and any related self-service options, wiping any sync'd data on sync'd devices, recovering anything deleted from mail and OneDrive in the last 30 days, and exporting/extracting that info into an archive. We do not browse through it unless we have reason to; but the (former) employee loses all access to it by policy. Period. Someone can later request access for specifically identifiable items, but blanket access, no, unless its through a legal proceeding

Just a bad idea overall to mix.

Teorias

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
My work gives me Office 365, do I still need to buy my own? I just thought about this and mad that I never thought of this before.

I Have a O365 subscription and cannot live without it.
But that is just me.

Of course i am exagerating, but let's be honest, for 9€ a month you get office for all the familly, onedrive for everyone and email services.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
We use office 365 at work, but it is only for info and we can not really store anything on it, apart from the odd document and we can not download or install the office software. but to be honest, I do not really want to use it at all, so only sing in when I really need to and that is about once a month just to check training.

they even have Yammer that they would like us all to use, but I will not use Yammer.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what the legality of it is, but assuming it's legal, you may run into company proprietary/IP issues with personal stuff on a work system. Or it could just be deemed as "misuse of company assets." Plus, how much personal stuff do you really want your company to have access to? If you're *only* using it for the installation of Word/Excel/Powerpoint, no big deal. If you use OneDrive at all, keep your personal subscription.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I get it from work, but still pay for a Home subscription. Our main reason is for the OneDrive personal storage. We wanted easy cloud syncing for pretty much all of our data, and we got that with a combined 5 TB of storage for $110 CDN per year. That's a great deal. My dad and little brother use a couple of the desktop apps installations and chip in for the cost. I also used the Skype minutes twice to make calls to the U.S. - not exactly something I would plan to buy, but useful to have.

If you don't need personal OneDrive, if you don't need Skype minutes, and if you don't have other family to share it with - you only want the desktop apps - then sure, don't pay for it yourself when your employer will do it for you (if they don't have a policy against it). But the Home deal is still so good if you want anything else it offers.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
My advice : keep it. Keep work and home separate...

I have Office 365 from school (work there), one for my side profession and a Home sub to provide the family with OneDrive, Skype and Office installs. It basically started when our camera upload became too big for free OneDrive.

Office 365 Home is IMHO ridiculous great value for that money.

Ozmand

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Tesla grants this to all it's employees. As others have said, I use the home version for the cloud storage and syncing with my personal devices. Unfortunately, Tesla blocks things like connecting to Microsoft Launcher which means that I have to rely on my personal 365 for things beyond cloud. However, cloud storage is a large part of why I continue to pay.

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I would strongly agree with the others who have said to keep them separate. I use my personal laptop for work and still use my own personal license for Office. If I leave the company, I don't want to have to disconnect or discontinue use. Plus I use OneDrive as my cloud storage and backup solution. I sync all my system folders (Downloads, documents, desktop) to it,and I don't want to lose that if I leave my employer.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've got Office 365 through work, and I have my own subscription at home. Probably the biggest advantage for me of the home subscription is the terabyte of storage (which I use for backup of all documents on all my machines and mobile devices) - this storage is not owned by my company, nor can it be browsed or backed up by my company. If I leave my company, all of a sudden all my files stored there are now inaccessible. Under my home subscription, those files are around as long as I maintain my subscription.

Also of benefit for my home subscription is that I have shared it with my spouse and my parents, so each of them also gets the office suite and a terabyte of storage. Through work, it is only me.

Also useful, since between myself, my spouse, and my parents, we have more than 5 machines which we want to install the office suite onto. (an iMac, 4 laptops, an all in one, a surface pro tablet, android tablet, and android phone). I've loaded Office from my work subscription onto all the machines I use (2 laptops and the surface tablet, which all get Skype for Business), and loaded my personal subscription on all the other machines. This alleviates the limit of only installing on 5 machines, giving me up to 10 installs on PCs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720