Do you want snapchat on windows phone ? Ever missed it on wp.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't really care about it... but then again I'm not some skinny pants American Eagle community college teen hipster who still doesn't know what they wanna be when they "grow up," I'm a married homeowner in his late twenties with children, multiple degrees, and a 55hr work week... I don't fit their target audience.

Not to say I haven't given it a shot. It's actually still installed on my Nexus 5 and iPhone 5... but everytime I use it I can't help but think "Why dear lord do I want this sucking up my battery? I could've sent the same junk in an MMS... and to anyone in my contact list, not just users of this app." There's been studies to show peoples my age on up simply are too old to *get into* Snapchat and I'm perfectly fine accepting that.

... even if I cared about self-destructive conversations, I'd want it to happen over a medium that wasn't proven to have security breaches (Cyber Dust would be my pick).

But that's not what matters... the crowd it appeals to is massive enough such that potential Windows Phone buyers can and will be turned off simply because Snapchat isn't here. There's a lot of money in that audience, and every day we're without Snapchat is a day we miss out on integral growth that we do need. Having a better, more secure destructive chat medium that isn't managed by a twerpy CEO doesn't matter if it's not the cool thing everyone's using... and while Snapchat may be a passing fad, it's popular now.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't really care about it... but then again I'm not some skinny pants American Eagle community college teen hipster who still doesn't know what they wanna be when they "grow up," I'm a married homeowner in his late twenties with children, multiple degrees, and a 55hr work week... I don't fit their target audience.

Not to say I haven't given it a shot. It's actually still installed on my Nexus 5 and iPhone 5... but everytime I use it I can't help but think "Why dear lord do I want this sucking up my battery? I could've sent the same junk in an MMS... and to anyone in my contact list, not just users of this app." There's been studies to show peoples my age on up simply are too old to *get into* Snapchat and I'm perfectly fine accepting that.

... even if I cared about self-destructive conversations, I'd want it to happen over a medium that wasn't proven to have security breaches (Cyber Dust would be my pick).

But that's not what matters... the crowd it appeals to is massive enough such that potential Windows Phone buyers can and will be turned off simply because Snapchat isn't here. There's a lot of money in that audience, and every day we're without Snapchat is a day we miss out on integral growth that we do need. Having a better, more secure destructive chat medium that isn't managed by a twerpy CEO doesn't matter if it's not the cool thing everyone's using... and while Snapchat may be a passing fad, it's popular now.

I agree, yes we begrudgingly need it.

That said, I use Xim. It is cross all platforms and WORKS even if the person/people you send to, don't have Xim. One great feature is I can send pictures to peoples phones, that don't have Xim, when I want to show off pictures that are on my phone. I don't have to pass my phone around.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I will never need SnapChat and would never use it if it were available. However, I think once Windows 10 starts taking off and has been rolled out to Desktop, Xbox One, Mobile, Tablet, etc., I think SnapChat would be rather fooling to continue to ignore the issue, as it would be easy for the sheer number of Desktop/Xbox/Tablet owners out there to start searching for an alternative. Once these users start using an alternative on their other devices, they'll want to switch to that alternative on their phone as well, and SnapChat will start losing ground very quickly.

Is it definite that this will happen? No, but it is a real possibility that SnapChat would be foolish to ignore. Microsoft scoffed at iPhone when it came out and looked where that go them. Microsoft won't be making mistakes like that again.

As far as "is it good for the platform", I think there are a number of apps that need to come to the platform in order to attact iOS and Android users both, and SnapChat is just one among many that are needed to make that happen. Better video editing, more banking apps, apps that are more complete and not dumbed down copies that don't have the full functionality of other platforms. With Windows 10 universal apps, it will be possible to begin to overcome all of these issues. A video editing app made for Windows 10 Desktop that can be also used on the phone has the potential to be way better than any other offering on other platforms.

Banking apps also have the potential to be much better, considering you'll be able to take pictures of checks from your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc. Even use your all-in-one printer/scanner to scan checks. That would be nice for businesses, as they could use a printer like I have that has a sheet feeder for the scanner to put a stack of 50 checks on the scanner, and scan them all to a bank deposit. Yeah, it scans double sided due to the ability to flip the page after scanning one side. That would be a boon for electronic banking and convenience of businesses. It would also cut down on the amount of work needed to be done by humans to work those large deposits with a lot of checks by hand.

Sorry if I'm sidelining SnapChat, but the reality is, there are a lot of apps people are waiting on. While for some, SnapChat is one of those apps, for others, well, there are just many apps that need to be added or completed or debugged.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the % chance you pick a mobile ecosystem based on the availability of one or two Apps is inversely proportional to age expressed in emotional maturity.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the % chance you pick a mobile ecosystem based on the availability of one or two Apps is inversely proportional to age expressed in emotional maturity.

That depends on how important the apps are. A couple of my colleagues, who are developers and/or MVPs, and have probably already forgotten more than 99.999999999% of smartphone users will ever know, are switching mobile ecosystems for "one or two Apps".

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree, yes we begrudgingly need it.

That said, I use Xim. It is cross all platforms and WORKS even if the person/people you send to, don't have Xim. One great feature is I can send pictures to peoples phones, that don't have Xim, when I want to show off pictures that are on my phone. I don't have to pass my phone around.
So a friend of mine possess the question and a rant about people flipping through his phone's photos when ask he wanted to show them was that one. Looking for suggestions, I reply with XIM-a MS app that is cross platform.I even started a session and posted the link so anyone in the post can try it out.

Not one. Post ignored. All iPhone users.

That's the reality of it. Even if it solves their problem, these dummies will ignore the solution of it is associated with Microsoft.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Not one. Post ignored. All iPhone users.

That's the reality of it. Even if it solves their problem, these dummies will ignore the solution of it is associated with Microsoft.

The problem isn't necessarily that it is from Microsoft, it's just that it didn't come from Apple.

I think that's how they think.

1. Is it from Apple? Yes -> get it.
No, not from Apple. 2. Do I really have to have it? No -> I'm done.
Yes! Can't live without the function! 3. Is there a 3rd party alternative? No -> I'm done.
Yes! 4. Is it from Microsoft? Yes -> Don't need it after all.
No -> Downloading.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
That depends on how important the apps are. A couple of my colleagues, who are developers and/or MVPs, and have probably already forgotten more than 99.999999999% of smartphone users will ever know, are switching mobile ecosystems for "one or two Apps".

Developers don't "need" apps, they need development tools. Otherwise, they are just like everyone else regardless of how much they know.

I think back over my more than 4 decades of developing and I cannot think of one app that I would need or that could have made my job easier.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Developers don't "need" apps, they need development tools. Otherwise, they are just like everyone else regardless of how much they know.

I think back over my more than 4 decades of developing and I cannot think of one app that I would need or that could have made my job easier.

The apps my colleagues need have nothing to do with developing. I'm sorry; I should have clarified. I mentioned them being developers and MVPs to counter the point of picking a mobile ecosystem based on the availability of one or two Apps being inversely proportional to age expressed in emotional maturity. It's not all kids who pick platforms based on what's available. Mature people do that too. To write them all off as wishy-washy or whatever the idea was is presumptuous at best.

Sometimes, no matter how mature or immature you are, you "need" certain apps. If they are not available in your ecosystem, what are your options?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)