Does anyone use notifications?

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I use them. But some are just noise and while I know it is on the dev to implement universal dismiss, not even Microsoft is using that feature with their own apps - so everyone complains about dismissing the same notification on several devices - which I agree is poor design, and personally I think it is the greatest flaw of the current iteration of the notification system.

Sometimes there are delays as well. It is not a good experience for me.
FYI: I live in a country without Cortana support (could be why)

alexncfc

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I use them a lot, they are especially useful for calendar reminders. I find the notifications in Windows 10 a massive improvement over Windows 8, where they would show up and then be gone forever. I'm surprised so many turn them off.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I do. For WhatsApp, Messenger, Calendar and emails (but I could live without email notifications though).

Tube cast has a nice notification a la Android YouTube app that is quite nice.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Nope, i disabled the notifications-center. Even the icon on the bottom right is not visible. I also deinstalled EMail, Calendar, Contacts and so on. So i use 90% only PWAs (ChromeApps or Shortcuts to the Web) on my Win10. Sometimes i think, it would be better to buy a Chromebook than this WIndows 10 Notebook :-( BUT anyway, i use notifications. But NOT with WIndows10, but with CHrome Notifications also on Desktop. Works perfect!

I more or less done the same as you, including getting rid of Cortana well and truly. A chromebook would be no good to me as it will not run the software I want to run and at the end of the day that is all I want Windows to do is run the software I want to use, not what Ms thinks i should use.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I do. For WhatsApp, Messenger, Calendar and emails (but I could live without email notifications though).

Tube cast has a nice notification a la Android YouTube app that is quite nice.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'll just say you people (who don't use them) are using your PC wrong. Not completely wrong, but you're using it like it's Win95. Try to be more open, and not dismiss anyting new immediately just because it's not what you're used to. That adaptive way of thinking is what brought all the innovation to the world.

As for the notifications, I don't really TRY to use or not use them. They pop-up occasionally, and when it's something I care about of course I'll open it (like when a torrent finishes downloading, I get an email, a mention on Twitter or some other social thingy).

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, haven't really thought about it much. They are there. Sometimes useful, sometimes get in the way. My biggest annoyance is when I have spent the day on my phone and sit down at my desk, I wiggle the mouse, and the day's notifications pop in one after another. You'd think by now MS could get some sort of sync right. Then the two finger swipe to clear has only worked for me on the build it was introduced. Every build after that has not (I'm on skip ahead on the machine that I'm talking about). I suppose I could take more responsibility in managing/setting up the notifications I care about, but I don't think I'd miss them. On top of the quick action panel seems like the wrong place for them BTW.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Never used notifications on PC and frankly, they're redundant since they don't clear out automatically after being read/deleted on my phone. It's irritating to wake the PC (laptop, whatever) and get bombarded by 20-30 emails and texts that were dealt with an hour before.

Email, SMS, calendar and Cortana are my only notifications but those alone are good for 100-150 per day. Weekends are about 20-30 combined so hooray weekend!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

Podster16

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
nope, seemed pretty pointless as the same notifications came through on the pc after you have already seen them on the phone, so switched them off now.
also couldn't stop the pop out notification on its own so just turned them all off

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering if anyone uses notifications in Windows 10. I find myself just clearing the list all the time without looking at it really cause I'm anyways looking at the apps I work with that usually the notifications listed are old anyway. I've put it in Do Not Disturb me or whatever is called now too because every second or minute something comes in and is annoying.

I guess most of my feeling isn't so much Windows related. It's just we are so inundated with notifications from everything, they've become another thing to manage.

How do you notifications, or use them to help you in Windows? In interested in ways you use it so I can perhaps do the same. Thanks

I'm a bit of a freak for notifications and feel the need to have them switched on for everything and receive them both on my phone and on my smart watch but having them pop up on the pc/Surface Pro actually bugs me just like you mentioned and 99%of them I just swipe away without looking because they're just an unwanted interruption.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally - I have Quiet Hours on, but i like the fact I can review them on the notification center when I'm curious to see what's happened at a glance or if the PC is ready for updates before i leave for the day.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use the text message reply notifications quite a bit. However for the past couple weeks it has stopped working. Not sure if it is a Cortana issue on my phone or on the PC side. Most of the other notifications I ignore.

Like others, I wish MS would actually make the notification code smarter than it is today. If I have already read a text or email on my phone or in the browser, don't notify me again an hour later when I get on my PC. I realize that MS may not be able to reach into the guts of all my android apps to know if I have read or acted on something; but they certainly should he be able to access the details in their own apps like outlook or the W10 mail client.

This is another good example of MS having a great idea but only implementing it half a$$.

Last edited:

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow this thread got a lot of responses, thanks. I want to use notifications, but I don't really know why. For me I seem to have already seen my email because I'm in the client ask the time. Although I do like the pop up notifications for meetings and events and time to leave, but I never go into the action center I just look at the pop up. If I missed it, my phone sends to have it, which I'm glued to my phone anyway.

I think it's great, I'm not complaining, just actively looking for ways to use features I know I don't use to their best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokul Dm