Does Denim fix 925 lockup?

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My 925 keeps locking up. It becomes unresponsive while asleep and I have to soft reset. The problem is that often I don't know it is locked up until I try to use it and have missed calls and messages.

I've seen some old info that says the denim update contains some stability fixes. Anyone have experience with that?

Since I'm on ATT in the US, I'm considering either flashing a contry varient ROM or using the Developer Preview to get the denim update. Both seem a little scary. My 925 is RM-893 I'm having trouble figuring out which ROM would be best for me. I like having LTE, I understand some of the ROMs won't support it.

Thoughts/ ideas all are welcome.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would reset the device with the recovery tool first. Locking up isn't normal.

Lumia Denim doesn't really have anything for the 925 and other models.

Technically the DP does not deliver Denim, but since its mostly a name-only "update" for us older model owners, the Preview might be fun to use anyway.

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is a denim issue and any number of resets will fix this issue, I have a 925 and have never seen it, mine just wasn't affected by this issue but my brother had a 925 and his was hit hard, it all started after the update to 8.1, rollback to 8.0 and he never saw it, unfortunately 8.1 brought a lot of good stuff and it was a hard update to resist. Locking up in the night, sometimes several times throughout the day and sometimes the clock would rollback to the same date, 23rd of May or something like that, can't remember off hand.

Check out the story on this site, it was also reported elsewhere too, I don't know if this was ever released but it gives you a starting point, I'm sure this is your issue.

Struggling with freezing issues on the Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020? Microsoft will soon release a fix | Windows Central

Good luck,
J.

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for the insight. J, I had seen that article. Many of the responders experiences are like my own. What's not obvious to me is how the fix will come. I had assumed it was included in the denim firmware update and I would be stuck until ATT decides to release it.

Perhaps the fix will happen separately.

In the last response to the article, someone had luck using the Nokia Recovery tool. I'll look into that.

Dave

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dave, I suppose there is a possibility that it was included in the denim update, as a country variant/unlocked 925 user I didn't get denim till around March this year and it was around the middle to end of last year that I was trying to help my brother through his issues with this. The NSRT or LSRT or WPRT are all worth a try, I used it several times on my brothers to no avail, when I could roll him back to 8.0 it always worked though.

I think there are different hardware versions of the 925, I must have been lucky to get one that wasn't affected by this power regulator and deep sleep issue, my brother and you not so lucky.

I'd try to find out through the staff here, or hit twitter and get in touch with someone on the windows phone team and enquire about this update, pointing to the article I linked, just be polite and ask whether it has been included in a firmware update or released as an individual patch, someone must know!

Good luck,
J.

EDIT: I've just followed through on the Microsoft source link from that Windows Central article, did you check it out? There is a lot of useful information in it and the 2nd post marked ANSWER, dated the 20th of February 2015 is to update to the latest firmware, Denim. It doesn't look like they state it explicitly but I'd take a guess that the fix was included in it.

Last edited:

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
j, That was the sense I got when I read that post too.

I'm somewhat confused by the different ROMs could I ask what country variant you are using and where you are using it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Mines a CV GBIE and I'm using it in the UK, unlike yourself and my brother I've never seen this issue on 8.0, 8.1 pre or post denim, just plain old luck.

J.

EDIT: Here's some more information from my about screen, although I don't think the ROM has a great deal to do with this locking up issue, I think it is a hardware version that is causing the problem which requires a software fix/patch to correct.

Name: 925
Model: NOKIA Lumia 925
Carrier: CV GBIE
Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

OS version: 8.10.14226.359
Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1451.1008
Hardware revision number: 0.5.0.1
Radio software version: 3.2.04059.1
Chip SOC version: 8960
Screen resolution: 768x1280

Last edited:

accursedvenom

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue as well, which is what led me to start shopping for a new phone. My 925 was my alarm so freezing while I slept was unacceptable. Finally bit the bullet and used the recovery tool. That fixed it for awhile then it froze again and I did a soft reset. Next thing I know, I get the denim update after disabling the dev preview.

Wound up switching to the One M9 since for whatever reason T-Mobile didn't have the M8 for windows in store or online. It was weird being without a wp after 5 years.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that info J. I'm not very phone savy, but it does seem we have different hardware revisions.

Accursedvenom, I completely understand. I'm not a heavy phone tech user, but I do want it to be reliable. I love my 925. if it weren't for the freezing issue I could see myself staying with it for a long time.

I'm conflicted. Part of me thinks I should be patient for Windows 10 and hope my issue doesn't get worse. I don't think ATT will release any updates before that.

On the other hand, it makes me very angry ATT is holding my hardware hostage. Part of me wants to flash a country variant just to get out from their control.

I wonder too if ATT will not release the Windows 10 update. I've heard Microsoft will control updates after 10 is released, but perhaps ATT will need to evaluate it for a year or so :-(

It's a conundrum...

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Going back to your original post at the top, you said you might try the PfD or a different rom, I can't speak about putting another rom on the 925 as I've never done it but was in the PfD at one time, but as xandros9 states, technically the PfD does not deliver Denim.

I'd start chasing the windows phone team on twitter or similar and also nag ATT to get their finger out and release the Denim update, this is making the assumption that the Denim update does include that fix, that is what I would be chasing the windows phone team about, is that fix included in Denim? Pointing them to that thread on Windows Central, or that source URL at answers.microsoft.

Waiting for WM10 could take an age, I don't expect to see that until the first half of next year, brand new ones with it on in maybe September or October but the rest being updated slowly.

I feel for you, my brother was gutted as he loved his 925 and would probably still have it today if it wasn't for that locking up issue, back then we hadn't got a clue what it was, trying all kinds of things to get rid of it, the only thing that worked was rolling back to 8.0, but eventually we lost the ability to do that as the NSRT at the time stopped offering that rom and started pushing 8.1 with Cyan.

Actually, that is a good point, if you don't mind flashing roms and you can get your hands on the ATT 8.0 rom I am almost certain that would work for you. Not ideal but the freezing would surely disappear. No notification centre though, no 3 columns of tiles, older version of IE plus other things you would miss out on but the basic phone would still be the 925.

Good luck and keep us posted,
J.

EDIT: While I was having my own personal nightmare the other day with WM10 and rolling back out to WP8.1 I stumbled across a thread where a user had this locking up issue fixed by updating to Denim, the link below points to the last page and the user xma1e_ stating that his issue was fixed in January by MS when Denim rolled out. Going back to page 1 you can see that his issue is largely the same as yours and my brothers. His is a Lumia 1020 though, however the locking up issue is widespread across 1020s and 925s.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Random-Freezing-since-WP8-1-upgrade/td-p/715511/page/3

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro