Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I recently bought, had it repaired en then trashed a Lumia 535. No matter what I tried the GPS function never worked properly. How does the Lumia 640 compare? Is the GPS module of the same ****ty quality or does it actually work?

After my initial experiences with the Lumia 535 I really got disgusted by Microsoft phones but might give them anaother trie.

Anyone can answer this question?

Thanks

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
yes there are many people with GPS working fine....thank GOD! as that it is how it's supposed to be ! from my reading it seems the problems with GPS on LUMIA devices is MOSTLY related to DUAL sims/unlocked models....some claim it started with DENIM update, others say its when they sent it to repair for some other defaults....some say gps worked for several weeks then died, other assure its a hardware related flaw, others had perfect GPS in 8.1 and no GPS on WM10 ! ...etc...
as far as i am concerned it seems software as GPS apps like "gpsinfo" and "gps satellite" clearly indicate that the GPS receiver WORKS....rarely yes...but it works. also it ALWAYS works when i have "memorised" the lock-on via GPS+internet....so seems software.
MAYBE an issue with ROM or dual sim HUGE bug....

hoping WM10 might be a little better for me...

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dogec,
I Completely agree with you which you wrote on 10-27-2015(first thread), as I am also facing the same issue. I tested the issue many times with internet and without internet(I also applied same set of steps like you before).
If there is internet, GPS working like charm, but here maps came with a feature offline maps, so If 640 unable to find location without internet, then there is no use of offline maps.

Hi boonesmi,
I also got succeeded in finding my location if internet connection is off in one scenario. Here are the steps
1) Turn on Location in the Phone
2) Turn on the Internet(data) connection
3) Open Here drive
4) GPS easily finds out your location
5) Turn off Internet(data) connection
6) Even if we Turn off the Internet, Here drive App is running and still continue finding location while moving to far distance.
I am Happy with this path. Of course I followed the above steps for one time

Then I tried different approach to test
3) Open Here drive
6) Turn off Location
7) Close here drive app
8) Move away from the current position(at least few miles) where we turned off location and Internet
9) Turn on Location
10) Open Here drive or any other GPS based applications.

In this scenario, Here drive always showing "Looking For GPS", and some other GPS based applications remains in initializing state for long time, I waited for more than 5 mins, got frustrated and closed all GPS apps.

I request any one please follow my last steps and let me know how your 640 working, If most of the people succeeded in finding location then I came to conclusion that I got a defective piece.

Last edited:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dogec,
I Completely agree with you which you wrote on 10-27-2015(first thread), as I am also facing the same issue. I tested the issue many times with internet and without internet(I also applied same set of steps like you before).
If there is internet, GPS working like charm, but here maps came with a feature offline maps, so If 640 unable to find location without internet, then there is no use of offline maps.

Hi boonesmi,
I also got succeeded in finding my location if internet connection is off in one scenario. Here are the steps
3) Open Here drive
6) Even if we Turn off the Internet, Here drive App is running and still continue finding location while moving to far distance.
I am Happy with this path. Of course I followed the above steps for one time

Then I tried different approach to test
3) Open Here drive
6) Turn off Location
7) Close here drive app
8) Move away from the current position(at least few miles) where we turned off location and Internet
9) Turn on Location
10) Open Here drive or any other GPS based applications.

In this scenario, Here drive always showing "Looking For GPS", and some other GPS based applications remains in initializing state for long time, I waited for more than 5 mins, got frustrated and closed all GPS apps.

I request any one please follow my last steps and let me know how your 640 working, If most of the people succeeded in finding location then I came to conclusion that I got a defective piece.
EXACT same CONCLUSIONS !!! enable/disable internet quickly is the ONLY way to get offline GPS working for long time. BUT if you CLOSE localization....and try to re-open again...well it won't WORK !

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't experience any issues related to GPS. Had 521 without data, worked fine, wife has 635 without data, works fine. By the time I got 640, I haven't had data plan and GPS (Here drive) worked fine nevertheless, recently I got data plan and it works fine as before. Just now I don't have to worry about searching for POI address in advance.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

My GPS will connect on airplane mode. The only catch is that it takes a few minutes to lock on to enough satellites. With network on it locks on within seconds, most likely with GPS assist.

ashishoo7

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I've the same problem as yours . I've lumia 640 LTE and its GPS takes too much time to locate when initialize. Even some times it doesnt locate at all (I tried it for 15-20min). I've wp10 in phone.

Riady Chen

May 17, 2016
Visit site
i got an issue here.
i previously use L535 before i decided to change L640
i've given up my L535 just because i was unable to use GPS.
while i choose L640, first thing i checked was the maps and its GPS locator, and it went perfectly fine
i used my new 640 for couple hours using GPS, tried runtastic, etc, and the GPS was totally perfect.

but then i upgraded to win10, and the problem get exactly like my old 535.
GPS pointed nowhere near me
GPS most of the time point with accuracy above 1 km
GPS didn't fixed until i go outside of building and stayed still for 10 mins

i concluded it might be happened because of the win 10 software issue
last night i revert back to win 8.1, and D'oh!!! my GPS was as stupid as in win 10

up until now, i was hoping my GPS experience with L640 before win 10 update is back.
i think something on win 10 broke the gps

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
too bad! but like MANY people said (including me) GPS issue has nothing to do with W10 or W8.1, it is a "RANDOM" issue that can happen anytime, anywhere ! Most people do not complain about GPS issues with W10 so no problem there;

the situation is that the L535 and 640 along with other models are affected by gps firmware problems. The only solution is to use internet (wifi/data) it works perfectly.
Other than that, like yourself, i must go out of building and wait for 4 to 10 minutes to get a fix...

i have had the issue since day one on W8.1.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12