Does your 950XL screen have a reddish tint?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Several users have reported that the screen on their new 950XL has a reddish tint, turning a little whiter (more bluish) when tilting away. For example:

But as I rotate the phone vertically towards me, it starts to turn reddish and while looking at straight at it, the white is reddish. As I continue to turn the phone, it becomes truer white. I did check the Color profile and it was standard. Changing it to vivid made no difference. I am worried if this is a hardware defect or nothing much to worry about. Any inputs?

When held at my normal viewing angle the bottom of the screen has a red cast. If I tilt the top towards me the red cast goes away and the whites are truer.

So the question: does your shiny new 950XL have that as well?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's only on really white screens and you move around at angles, it'll be like going from cool colour tone to warm colour tone at the center area of the display. Probably depends on lighting environment too.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's only on really white screens and you move around at angles, it'll be like going from cool colour tone to warm colour tone at the center area of the display. Probably depends on lighting environment too.

Thanks for voting. I saw a couple of mentions of this in a row, so I'm just curious how widespread it is. All displays change appearance at different angles, but maybe the 950XL has a relatively small range over which the balance is constant.

Great, please vote!

Nope. The colors looks great at all angles.
Awesome! Please also vote though so people see it's not a universal problem.

earle36

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep - I got it. If I don't look at the phone with it directly in front of me it's definitely got the reddish tint.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Someone on an other forum set the colour profile to cool and the red tint on his 950XL was gone.
Perhaps an option to try?

I don't have my 950XL yet so cannot comment for myself.

earle36

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Someone on an other forum set the colour profile to cool and the red tint on his 950XL was gone.
Perhaps an option to try?

I don't have my 950XL yet so cannot comment for myself.

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried cool and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried the vivid profile - while it didn't fix the issue I think I prefer it :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion. I tried cool and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried the vivid profile - while it didn't fix the issue I think I prefer it :)

Same here

Vivid was really interesting for a bit until looking at pictures I took on the phone and my wife asked how come it looks so fake lol

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Got mine in-store today. As for the color change on tilting, I can just barely see it if I look really closely. It's not something that I'm going to see unless I specifically look for it. Not a problem for me at least. Phew!

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I was the unlucky one who first reported this on the 25th. I did end up going to the store and getting a replacement. I was lucky that they had a white one to spare and they were interested in my experience and take that feedback back to MS.

My replacement is great and has no tint!

Nilesh

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I set all apps to black background, so I don't notice it anymore. As the mail app is broken anyway and I only look at my mails on my Surface because of that, I only have to live with that reddish tint in Edge and also only when I hold the phone in my hand and look directly at it (which I rarely do, I've noticed).
The only phone alternative for me would be the iPhone 6s+ on which I don't really want to spend even more money on. (Would be 250 € more...).

I really hope I can live with this screen/phone for the next two years. Apart from this issue and the broken mail app, I simply love this phone and really do not want to get rid of it again.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I did end up going to the store and getting a replacement. [...] My replacement is great and has no tint!
Thanks for the update. I kind of though that all devices were identical but that some users were just more picky than others. Did the two phones definitely have a different color balance? Next time anyone goes back to the store please try to get a picture comparing two of them side by side for this thread. #blushgate

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I kind of though that all devices were identical but that some users were just more picky than others. Did the two phones definitely have a different color balance? Next time anyone goes back to the store please try to get a picture comparing two of them side by side for this thread. #blushgate

It was definitely a hardware thing, if that's what you are asking. The settings on both phones were same and I could still see the red tint on my first phone.
I am not sure pictures will help as the light and angle makes a difference. If somebody can capture that, great!

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure about the hardware thing, it might be just the profile setting and the different windows build. Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't. Using the advanced color profile and neutral tint helps a lot.

anyway its not something I could not live with :D

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If you watch the screen just in front of you, colour and calibration is PERFECT.
When you tilt the device, and watch the display on different angles, you can notice a different white reproduction (more greenish/bluish), but from the moment you just look it right in front of you, returns Perfect.

It's a "no problem", considering you never use the device from that extreme angles anyway

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
If you watch the screen just in front of you, colour and calibration is PERFECT.
When you tilt the device, and watch the display on different angles, you can notice a different white reproduction (more greenish/bluish), but from the moment you just look it right in front of you, returns Perfect.

It's a "no problem", considering you never use the device from that extreme angles anyway

It was the other way round for me. When I looked at the phone straight on, it was reddish. I look from an angle, it was perfect white.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I set all apps to black background, so I don't notice it anymore. As the mail app is broken anyway and I only look at my mails on my Surface because of that, I only have to live with that reddish tint in Edge and also only when I hold the phone in my hand and look directly at it (which I rarely do, I've noticed).
The only phone alternative for me would be the iPhone 6s+ on which I don't really want to spend even more money on. (Would be 250 ? more...).

I really hope I can live with this screen/phone for the next two years. Apart from this issue and the broken mail app, I simply love this phone and really do not want to get rid of it again.

Why don't you return it and get a replacement

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria