Don't rename Windows Phone and Nokia!!! Stop Microsoft from doing so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Many Windows Phone hipsters, that bought a Nokia when the phones got WP, apperantly can't understand that people were able to be Nokia phone before Windows Phone launched. I've been a long time Nokia ******, I loved symbian, even though it had quite a lot of flaws due to lack of inovation. Nokia was a brand that produced good quality phones with a good battery life and often a good camera. Since my L925 is sent in for repair now, I use the only Nokia phone I own now, an old tiny Nokia 500. Though it gets me frustrated all the time, especially when browsing the internet, I really love the simplicity and functionality the phone offers. And it is almost indestructable and even though the battery only has 1110MaH, it lasts or more than two days! XD It is much easier to make a call and listening to music or the radio is also very easy. I still hate the keyboard and internet experience. I was really surprised how fast my device is since I reinstalled the software.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
He's not the only one. I'm afraid that dropping the Nokia name is going to cost Microsoft some users. However, Microsoft has no choice but to drop it at some point.

I find it hard to believe that people are only grabbing a phone because it has a Nokia name on it.... People buy a phone because of what type(OS) or what price(people who don't care they just want a phone). If people were going just for the name, that would be the iPhone, as we know some people buy it who are clueless on smartphones because they....just don't really have a clue...

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what's the big deal.

Losing the Nokia name will gain users at the same time because nokia is not a popular brand everywhere. Maybe it's popular where you are from but where I'm from everyone looks down on Nokia!

He's not the only one. I'm afraid that dropping the Nokia name is going to cost Microsoft some users. However, Microsoft has no choice but to drop it at some point.

Losing the Nokia name will gain users at the same time because nokia is not a popular brand everywhere. Maybe it's popular where you are from but where I'm from everyone looks down on Nokia!

Last edited by a moderator:

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Windows Phone because of the OS, and not the Nokia name. The Nokia name only complimented the phone in my opinion. I think some people are being a little over dramatic when it comes to a name that Microsoft can't legally keep. I mean, there's still a business called Nokia that is not affiliated with making phones--at the moment at least.
I also think dropping the "phone" in WP is a good idea so that consumers can get the feeling of unity among the Windows brands.

MicrosoftMobile4me

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I think they dropped the "phone" from the name because it will run on tablets next year. Nobody wants a tablet running Windows Phone. It's like a downgrade in peoples mind. Even though it will be the same operating system, just called "Windows", they will be more accepting.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well guess what. The build will still be the same. It's the same people working on them, but with a different branding name. It's not a big deal. Anyone who leaves because of the branding name is just plain ignorant.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Good grief -- talk about majoring in minor things. . .

:eck:

HEY! I will let you know that I have a major in Spewing Truth and Lies. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :p

As for the Nokia naming. It was inevitable, but their not stupid either to just call it.... windows phone, there has to be a structure to show low end and high end devices.

Also I find this rumors strange that it came out the day the iPhone 6 came out. Coincidence? I think not.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't see what's the big deal.

Yea, the Nokia name, I agree with you.

As for Windows Phone to just Windows...I don't like it. Personally I WANT to see Windows Phone go over 4%, I want to see it around 10-15% as quick as possible. I want newer apps, I want hardware (like smartwatches, etc) and other devices to come to it.

Microsoft and assorted carriers and vendors have spent BILLIONS just so Joe Six pack hears about "WIndows Phone" changing it will confuse these people and they will just go buy a iPhone...

Something I don't want to see happen. Friends don't let Friends buy a iPhone....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I won't. Microsoft bought the rights to Nokia's hardware division. They did not buy the Nokia brand or the company as a whole. They have no right to continue to produce products as Microsoft, while putting on the brand of a different company out of the hardware sector entirely.

As for dropping the name, I don't care. Whatever it takes to get them to release a decent phone under the Microsoft name, I'm fine with it. Call it iWindows if you must, I just want them to release something better than the trash that is the 730/830.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Nokia is not popular in the USA. And that's basically it.

To the OP: Microsoft HAS to drop the Nokia brand as they don't own Nokia. Therefore they have no right to call "Nokia" to phones that aren't made by Nokia. Simple.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you learn some things about business. Yes, I hate seeing the Nokia brand go away, been with them for 15 years. But when MS bought the Nokia phone business (Nokia has many, other large divisions), these things were set out in the contracts. What each party can and can't do. We are just bystanders to these titan clashes.

You think a petition will cause them to rethink their business models? Ha ha ha ha ha.....I don't have enough "ha's" in my kb.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you learn some things about business. Yes, I hate seeing the Nokia brand go away, been with them for 15 years. But when MS bought the Nokia phone business (Nokia has many, other large divisions), these things were set out in the contracts. What each party can and can't do. We are just bystanders to these titan clashes.

You think a petition will cause them to rethink their business models? Ha ha ha ha ha.....I don't have enough "ha's" in my kb.

You never know...

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Nokia Lumia 1520 because it was the best phone I could get running WP, it was built by a company called Nokia, but I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't run WP.

If Nokia had been building the 1520 with Android instead of WP, I would not have bought the 1520.

And I must admit my brand loyalty to MS was on shaky ground until I saw Windows 8.1 as I thought 8 was rubbish, but now they have won me back with WP8, the Xbox One and Windows 8.1 and the fantastic integration.

I can understand brand loyalty, but you have to get a bit real here, Nokia sold the phone making division to Microsoft, they sold the Lumia name rights for X years, they did not sell them the Name Nokia, Nokia still own that and still trade with that name, I here they make a decent map program. Microsoft cannot continue to use the Nokia name from X date.

So if you have brand loyalty to Nokia and will only buy phones with Nokia written on them you have a few choices.

Keep your existing phone

Second-hand shops still sell phones with Nokia written on them.

Buy a label maker, and stick Nokia on any other phone you buy.

Time to face facts, if you will only buy or use Nokia made phones, and will no longer buy or use MS, Windows or Lumia branded phones, then it's stay in the dark ages, buy other makes of phones that run WP/Windows or say hello Android/IOS. But this has been a fact of life for at least a year now and I am surprised anyone is still surprised/outraged at what is now at least 1 year old news.

Good luck out there.

Bob

MameTozhio

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft legally can't keep using the Nokia branding for long. And they're keeping the Lumia branding and even though there's a chance, albeit small, that they could stop using it, there's not enough evidence to prove that.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I would like it if Nokia and Microsoft make an agreement that the phones are allowed to be called "Nokia by Microsoft". That would make me very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6