Downloading limit over mobile data.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
When will Microsoft allow us to download large files over our mobile network. As large as we like. Its our phone and our data. In the UK Three allow unlimited mobile data with a soft cap at 1TB. Do you think this will change on WP10? What are they thinking seriously putting this limit on us.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When will Microsoft allow us to download large files over our mobile network. As large as we like. Its our phone and our data. In the UK Three allow unlimited mobile data with a soft cap at 1TB. Do you think this will change on WP10? What are they thinking seriously putting this limit on us.

Not everyone has unlimited data so that's the reason why and more to the point a game of 1GB or more will download faster over WiFi anyway.

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone has unlimited data so that's the reason why and more to the point a game of 1GB or more will download faster over WiFi anyway.

It might download faster on WiFi, but not everyone has WiFi. I have to take out the sim card to download maps and some applications will just sit there waiting for WiFi.

If there was a user friendly way to set up the dates say 17 May to 16 June it would be fantastic. There is a whole world out there where prepaid is king...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, I would like something in the control panel to allow you to set a cap. I have unlimited data on Verizon in the US. If I wanted to download a 119mb game over the Cell network, I should have the option to.

The biggest thing that sucks is when I am on the road, and waiting for something, where I can be at for an hour or more, so sometimes I just go in the store to download a new game and find out that, it's too big, even though I paid for it, I cant even download it because no Wi-Fi.

It's my data, I pay for it, I should be able to set my own limits on it. Just put a warning in if your over 50mb about data usage and call it a day.

Yea but, some people do, so those that do, we should not have an option to download what we want with the data WE pay for ?

if I am on a Wi-Fi network, sure that's one thing but, if I am away from a wi-fi network, I would like the option.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was every platform had a cap but I recently moved to Android and I can download whatever. I too have unlimited n it's actually kinda silly them setting a cap n not leaving it up to the user. I realize they're trying to protect people from themselves but I'm sure they'd learn pretty quickly n they put up enough pop-ups that u can't really miss it. They have raised it incrementally but 100mb today is nowhere near enough!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I have unlimited mobile data, but limited cable data. Plus, my mobile data is 3x faster than my cable.

I realize they're trying to protect people from themselves

It might seem that way, but I doubt it's to protect us. It's likely to protect them. The carriers and/or manufacturers stand to gain from this somehow. They probably had too many complaints from customers who used large amounts of mobile data without realizing it, and had to forgive the charges.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You Americans might have unlimited calls, texts and data but I bet you pay a small fortune for that privilege. You also forget that some countries have slow data networks and pay for data per MB, that alone should tell you why the cap is in place.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You Americans might have unlimited calls, texts and data but I bet you pay a small fortune for that privilege. You also forget that some countries have slow data networks and pay for data per MB, that alone should tell you why the cap is in place.
I completely agree with you.....i am from india elwhich does have vey same scenario but these countries dont have wi-fi too on a wide extend....Leaving them no option to download those huge apps....so in my opinion there should be a option for this...

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I'm on 10080, and I just tried downloading some podcasts over cellular, which never used to work on WP7-8.1. (I think the limit for cellular downloads had been 20MB in WP7, then (maybe?) upped to 50MB in WP8 - but one of the episodes I just downloaded was 56MB, so apparently the limit's either been bumped or done away with.

Which is odd, because I'd always been told that the cellular-download limit was mandated by the carrier, not the OS.

(To those who claim such a limit "protects the user from themselves," I beg to differ. I get 5GB of data per month, and 450 minutes of calling time. Preventing me from spending 50MB of my data (i.e., 1% of my total) is EXACTLY the same as preventing me from making any calls longer than 4-1/2 minutes. I don't need that kind of protection from myself - does anyone?)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
(To those who claim such a limit "protects the user from themselves," I beg to differ. I get 5GB of data per month, and 450 minutes of calling time. Preventing me from spending 50MB of my data (i.e., 1% of my total) is EXACTLY the same as preventing me from making any calls longer than 4-1/2 minutes. I don't need that kind of protection from myself - does anyone?)

I agree; it's probably to protect the carriers. The carriers and the manufacturers don't care about us, except how it affects their bottom line. By limiting our usage, they are protecting themselves.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft never explained the real reason so we can only best guessing.
But in the not so long past wifi was more stable and faster then cellular.

And you always could download for example a large video or whatever using for example uc browser.

But apps and OS/firmware updates are more critical and the "responsibility" of Microsoft. And to "guarantee" no problems the cap was introduced in my opinion.

But times change and now cellular data can also be fast and stable. (and even faster then Wifi).
And they got a lot of feedback to remove the cap.

So now downloading a 600 MB Firmware update over 4G is something else then downloading the same size 2 years ago over a 2 (or 3G) connection.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But in the not so long past wifi was more stable and faster then cellular.

I wondered too if stability wasn't part of the reason. Although it's not as valid of a reason anymore, it certainly has been in the past. Also, data buckets are increasing. Carriers are raising the amounts and/or lowering prices. All good things! :smile:

I remember back when WP7 was released on AT&T in autumn of 2010, and one of the (heavily) advertised features of WP was its connectivity and "the cloud." At about the same time, AT&T and Verizon were dropping unlimited data plans and moving to tiered. I recall thinking how crazy it was that AT&T was pushing this new phone OS that was always connected, always in the cloud, while at the same time they were essentially making data much more expensive. I guess we've become accustomed to it!

iOS still restricts downloading firmware updates over mobile data, at least over a certain size. AFAIK there's no way around it. Android lets you download pretty much anything of any size, but gives you a warning prompt for anything over 50MB I think it is.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Australia n pay $2/day for unlimited but that is now grandfathered because that plan doesn't exist anymore and I think the same can be said for Americans on unlimited plans.

Last edited:

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
But on android you can download files as large as you want.
You get a warning about the size but yes you can download any amount and that's how it should be! I think these companies forget that We own the phone, all they own is the IP (intellectual property)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte