Edge, 3G, 4G toggle???

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Holly crap - it works, now to see if battery life improves. If so and this disables the LTE radio, then I am extremely happy (no LTE in Richmond VA). Setting to 3g keeps HSPA+ (4G) but setting to E knocks me back to edge for sure. Great FIND!

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
This will save my battery because I have HORRIBLE 3g/4g at my desk at work but we have an Edge repeater so I get excellent Edge service. So by not looking constantly for a bad 4G signal and getting 1 unusable bar and erroring all the time while trying to use it I will have a much better user and battery experience.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Edge is so slow its barely tolerable. I hope you're not planning on doing anything more than texting, because the internet on Edge speeds is like AOL circa 1994.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Edge is so slow its barely tolerable. I hope you're not planning on doing anything more than texting, because the internet on Edge speeds is like AOL circa 1994.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Slow access is better than no access in my opinion. It works fine for txting, wordfeud and email syncing. Without this I had 1 - 2 bars are hardly usable 4G service. Constant errors and failing txts. Now I have a stable reliable slow connection.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Even with us Rogers we have only three options E, 3G, 4G and mine set to 4G and i see LTE on the Indicator ... So for rogers Lumia 900 4G = LTE ... ( Even though thats not theoretically correct )

Really? I have never seen LTE in the indicator. I was in Toronto over the weekend, and all I ever saw was 3G and 4G.

Where I live (in the boondocks) there is no LTE service. Mainly the indicator shows 3G, but occasionally 4G.

I'm not really understanding what I see from the indicator.

timd28

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
So I just picked up a Lumia 900 and tried to do this hack to enable the radio selection. I did all of the updates first and then got into the field test screen but there is no ToggleENS(REBOOT) option in there. Am I missing something or did the updates remove this option? Any other way to disable LTE? I am about 40 miles from the closest LTE enabled area and would prefer to save battery.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So I just picked up a Lumia 900 and tried to do this hack to enable the radio selection. I did all of the updates first and then got into the field test screen but there is no ToggleENS(REBOOT) option in there. Am I missing something or did the updates remove this option? Any other way to disable LTE? I am about 40 miles from the closest LTE enabled area and would prefer to save battery.
I enabled this feature pre-Tango, and its still there (in Settings). But I checked the Field Test screen yesterday and the Toggle ENS option is gone. You can probably thank AT&T for that.

See, AT&T does test updates before they are rolled out. Guess they caught wind of this one and squashed it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

timd28

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I enabled this feature pre-Tango, and its still there (in Settings). But I checked the Field Test screen yesterday and the Toggle ENS option is gone. You can probably thank AT&T for that.

See, AT&T does test updates before they are rolled out. Guess they caught wind of this one and squashed it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Bastards! Hopefully someone finds another way. Loving the phone so far but the battery when I'm outside of wifi areas is pretty bad. I'm sure its constantly looking for a non-existant LTE signal

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Same here, wasn't thinking to do it before I upgraded.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
you can use the nokia care suite to downgrade your phone, do the hack and use zune to bring it back up to date. the setting will stay but toggleens will be gone. i have personally done this successfully. it does erase all data.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Update: my HD7 on Bell in Canada is now running 8773 and I still have this option, even though it does me no good since Bell was a CDMA network that switched to HSDA+ (3g) and therefore has no edge network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifeca1295