Elite x3 - Any battery benchmarks?

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
So I'm left a little confused over a phone with a massive battery that was boasted to last "all day" and supposedly in the true sense of a whole day, yet barely lasting even on idle with only Whatapp + Messenger in the background at best?

I've already sent one back that drained 6% an hour on idle + bricked when trying to record a video, and having put this one down as bad luck /defective at the cost of a glass screen protector, still left incredibly unimpressed with the performance of my new replacement.

I didn't really take proper note of the time and percentages last night on this replacement, but over the last hour I've lost 4.5% and 12% from streaming a video which t me seems pretty poor.

effectively paid 2x premium of an 950 XL to have a phone that would last all day, but got half of a 950 XL instead? And so far, everything runs at about the same speed of my 1520 if not slower?

- Opened messenger > 1520 was slightly faster.
- Open email > 1520 faster
- Open oneNote > 1520 3x faster
- Edge going to google.com (wifi) > 1520 twice as fast...

My 1520 has about 3x as many apps loaded on it running in the background too. Both windows 10...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the latest official update installed? And have you checked in battery settings to see which apps were using the most battery?

sev7en

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
What a delusion that device... I fallen in love for it but I have a Lumia 950XL and a Lumia 1520 exactly like you and before to get it, I will for sure await more.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I just been traveling since 7am PDT and haven't put the phone on the charger since (it's 11:30PM ET) and I have 34% left. That includes 35 mins of GPS navigation and BT audio streaming in my car home.

Battery life is outstanding on this phone. When Mark and I were at the Gears event, by 10am he had 76% battery life (GS7 Edge) and I wast still at 96%. This is all on pre-AU too, which does a lot for battery.

I have no qualms saying this is the best battery of any smart phone I have used.

Regarding CPU performance, that's another topic. OP didn't even mention if on TH2 or AU, firmware, etc. We all know this phone is supposed to get AU and new firmware soon and there is a lot here not yet complete with the chipset/camera. Nonetheless, I gave up on the 950 and XL; no way will I go back to those phones at this point.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
So I'm left a little confused over a phone with a massive battery that was boasted to last "all day" and supposedly in the true sense of a whole day, yet barely lasting even on idle with only Whatapp + Messenger in the background at best?

Know you don't want to hear this but have you tried a full (hard) reset? Just 2 weeks ago, my 925 was too hot to hold. And would go from 100% to 20 within four hours. I did a full reset. Now, it's cold. And now, I only charge it at night.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm on the latest update - I'm aware HP are pushing an update for Camera issues (recording) + general stability but even they don't know when. The support guy was basically like "we're just giving out dead on arrival certificates regardless until then". When I asked about the Camera (normal photos) crashing the phone to a reboot it "wasn't a known issue" to them.

I've avoided a hard reset because the first Elite x3 I had, I did that, it still drained 6% on idle then it crashed when trying to see if recording on the camera worked (if i recall, back facing worked that instance, front facing didn't). Soft reset it for it to be stuck on HP logo for rest of it's life.

For the record, the support guy claimed 6% on idle was normal due to all the apps running that people typically have... I didn't even bother to argue.

The other night I lost a whopping <1% an hour idle, that's perfect in my books (57% down to 51% or similar over 8 hours). Streaming a video in edge lost both 7% in 20 minutes and then another session was back at 12% per hour (consistently 4% per 20 minute video) which leaves something to be desired as that works out as 8 hours or, 6 hours when you strip the battery size down; equal to other phones.

I must be delusional as last night I thought I went to bed on 77% and 6 hours later I wake up to 51% or 4.3% per hour, with only my alarm going off. I mean, I might be wrong about that 77%, cause' I remember putting the phone down last night to go to bed, only to hear it vibrate a minute later because the OS crashed and rebooted and I was more interested in smashing the phone to pieces after that point, especially since it's my alarm and I have an appointment this morning and mid night crashes aren't very appealing..

It was certainly on 77%+ though, as I gave continuum a spin so it got charged up. Continuum which was pretty jerky I should add which was something I also wasn't expecting.

Now as I write this, not even an hour has passed and it gone from 51% to 48%.. So roughly 3% in 30 minutes. stuck around for another 30 minutes and it's dropped to 46%

As per performance, the elite x3 isn't on AU as, at least I know that mean anniversary update. TH2 is beyond me, though. 1520 is on 1607 which is AU as far as I know.

Will try to charge and loop a video tonight to see how long it lasts until it turns itself off.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
>When I asked about the Camera (normal photos) crashing the phone to a reboot it "wasn't a known issue" to them.

This is really my only gripe at this point. The touch/stuttering stuff is definitely pre-AU as I even seen the Jade Primo have this issue before the AU update. The camera situation is bad, but I find waiting a second after the shot and then just hitting the Windows key (do not review) prevents crashing. Also, using the camera while the phone is locked is also tempting a crash.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
>Also, using the camera while the phone is locked is also tempting a crash.
I assume you mean force-close the camera app after every session?

Based your earlier post, 66% is equivalent to 16 hours? or 4.1% per hour with 35 minutes of GPS (and I'm assuming, an equal time of bluetooth streaming)

I lost about 3.4% per hour today (Likely more) , bluetooth is off but wifi /data is on. My bundle didn't renew overnight so I actually had no data, so whether this is good or bad for the battery I don't know. Quick bit of edge to see if I could get my bundle sorted but couldn't... 22 minute call, couple of notes and then just checking the time.. Reasonable or higher than expected drain? :s

Also, this has happened the second time now, where the screen glitches. First time the right half of the screen stuck, so when I opened whatsapp the left half was whatsapp, the right half was my start screen. The right half then went to a multi-coloured noise effect (still). Just putting it to standby and turning it on again sorted it out. Happened again today, but just went straight to the multi-colour noise effect on the right half. Screenshotting shows a normal screen capture of whatever is supposed to b there..

Do I have another defective phone or is that just flaky win10? :S

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I assume you mean force-close the camera app after every session?

Based your earlier post, 66% is equivalent to 16 hours? or 4.1% per hour with 35 minutes of GPS (and I'm assuming, an equal time of bluetooth streaming)

I lost about 3.4% per hour today (Likely more) , bluetooth is off but wifi /data is on. My bundle didn't renew overnight so I actually had no data, so whether this is good or bad for the battery I don't know. Quick bit of edge to see if I could get my bundle sorted but couldn't... 22 minute call, couple of notes and then just checking the time.. Reasonable or higher than expected drain? :s

Also, this has happened the second time now, where the screen glitches. First time the right half of the screen stuck, so when I opened whatsapp the left half was whatsapp, the right half was my start screen. The right half then went to a multi-coloured noise effect (still). Just putting it to standby and turning it on again sorted it out. Happened again today, but just went straight to the multi-colour noise effect on the right half. Screenshotting shows a normal screen capture of whatever is supposed to b there..

Do I have another defective phone or is that just flaky win10? :S

from the number of issues you seem to be having, I am tending to believe you need a replacement

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
So, just to add a little context, since "good battery life" seems to be completely subjective. I have a Huawei Mate 8 with almost the same exact size battery and screen, and it gets about 7 hours of screen on time, over two to three days of usage. If left idle, it lasts a week. So, as far as I'm concerned, getting ONLY a day out of a single charge with this device is stunningly BAD battery life.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
One question - what are the brightness settings? On all my devices - starting from my MyTouch 3g, through my Note 2, One M8 (Windows), 1520, SGS 6, and my 950xl - the common denominator for battery life is the screen brightness. If I have or on suggested, I'm usually much better off. The other issue is modem usage. One day my family and I drove all over very rural parts of the Big Island from near Kona to Hilo and back. My Note 2 went from around 90% to 10% in a few hours on standby just looking for signal.

Sent from mTalk

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
To answer ~

Screen set to lowest and auto, 60% average use for either. System typically 30% with wifi and sim 10% of varying ratios depending on which one gets used more.

Owned a 1520 prior to this, so i expect a faster, more efficient hardware set on a 700mAh larger battery to be considerably better within reason. Max video playback = 8 hours. Comparatively speaking to phones with smaller batteries, that's 6 hours or less, so percentages quoted would be higher vs other phones in equivalent battery capacities.

Typical drain of video stream 12%. browsing /general use 10% idle 4%. will test idle properly tomorrow when im in work.

screen almost unreadable in day light, even on max brightness. auto will adjust brightness down at night but doesnt seem notible to daylight otherwise brightness /lack of daylight readability is just a killer.

did a bunch of benchmarks: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ajm5hOKMhwEViKh8tanzJzoKN1rGqA

sending back, not going to try a 3rd I dont think, not unless this AU is going to push 64bit, either going S7 edge for 20h video vs this 6h... or see how 950xl 640xl perform...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria