Expected time to download and install redtsone build on threshold build pc

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a surface 3 LTE version, I have the 14393 build update ready to download and install - any ideas how long it would take? So I know whether to do it now or when I have more time

Also, any idea of the size of the download so I can estimate download time? I'll be using wired net of medium speed (I think 8Mbps)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a surface 3 LTE version, I have the 14393 build update ready to download and install - any ideas how long it would take? So I know whether to do it now or when I have more time

Also, any idea of the size of the download so I can estimate download time? I'll be using wired net of medium speed (I think 8Mbps)

Realistically i guess max 1 hr for only installation phase (I did it once on my old Core 2 Toshiba with an ancestor 5400 rpm sata HD).
If I remember well, core update is 1.5 GB for 64bit vrs, I got a 8 Mbps adsl too, I took about 45 mins.
Then, consider the core apps insider upgrades too, same as phone, more data and time

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Download process took 10 minutes on a 15Mbps line, installation took 3.5 hours. App updates took another 15 minutes

I enrolled for the slow ring and my timings were pretty much the same as yours to upgrade.

Acer Aspire E11 laptop with only 32GB eMMC storage. I didn't have enough storage left on the laptop itself and so had to use the external drive option when prompted to by the 'preparing to install' process (I then used a USB flash drive).

The download itself was quick, but the installation part took over three hours. At one point I thought I'd have to leave the laptop plugged in overnight as the percentage complete was crawling up - it took 2 hours to get to 11%! Thankfully things sped up considerably after the first automatic restart that it does as part of the installation process, and it was finished by the time I went bed.

From my small amount of use since upgrading, so far I've got to say it's been worth it :smile:.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss