Fantasia: Music Evolved (Xbox One and Xbox 360)

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
From Harmonix, the makers of Dance Central and Rock Band:

s9Ax.jpg

Video: Fantasia: Music Evolved Announcement Trailer - YouTube

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if it's a good game, that trailer is a no.

Replace the teens with children and advertise directly to children. That's the audience you need to convince to play a Fantasia game.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this is stupid on so many levels. I hope this **** gets canceled. Honestly, selling games that are really just developer exercises on how to program for a new platform is unethical. At least Microsoft was honest about this with the Kinect Labs freebie games. I'm not going to pay to be your beta tester.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a disconnect between the artists listed and the Disney Fantasia brand, and between the dorky video and the screenshots. I like the concept of a gesture based mixing studio with cool animations, hopefully that is where this is headed.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
- You are the new sorcerer's apprentice
- Kinect puts your silhouette on the screen
- "By reaching out towards the screen, you transform the objects you linger on"
- More than 25 songs
- Bohemian Rhapsody is one of them, has three different versions: original, orchestral, and 80's heavy metal ballad
- Apparently you can customize mixes and share them with others?

fantasia-5.jpg

fantasia-6.jpg

fantasia-9.jpg

fantasia-10.jpg

fantasia-8.jpg

fantasia-4.jpg

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a disconnect between the artists listed and the Disney Fantasia brand, and between the dorky video and the screenshots. I like the concept of a gesture based mixing studio with cool animations, hopefully that is where this is headed.

headed maybe, but this is a beta product that customers will be expected to shell $50 for.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. It's Harmonix, so expect loads of DLC and 53 game releases over the first 2 years of its existence, because that's how the music game industry works.
2. I'd rather see a Kinect Disney World Adventures, or at least a re-release of Disneyland Adventures with a California Adventure addition.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I like music games, and I "guess" it would be cool to control the music or whatever using Kinect (thinking of yourself as a conductor, I guess)... but can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I mean, what do you DO? I even watched an E3 demonstration because I was genuinely curious... and I got absolutely nothing out of it. I still walked away confused and scratching my head. I know there was that game that came out... I think it was last E3 and I can't remember the name... but it was a music game that came out for all platforms but was recommended for Xbox 360 w/ Kinect since you could control everything with your hands. It did look cool, the developer of the game went on stage and controlled everything with his hands... REZ.. that's what it was. REZ. Is this anything like REZ?

EDIT: I saw Paul Miller's video and article on this over on The Verge. Game is not even close to the marketing for it, IMO. No longer interested.

Last edited:

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
This game has to be really seen in motion to appreciate, it's crazy! Conducting an entire ocean of sea creatures playing Bohemian Rhapsody? Sold!

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm so confused.
Just like Fantasia, it's easier to "get it" after a few drinks. Others have told me you totally get it after smoking/ingesting illegal substances, but I won't go there.

I like to play around with the Music Maker Jam app on my Surface, to me this game is going to be similar but much more interactive. It also looks like this will be a much richer experience than people initially expected.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm so confused.
It took me a while, but I think I have it. You know how on Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc you would push buttons on the instruments as visual cues passed you on the screen? This is giving you visual cues, but "you are the controller"... you're not really controlling the Fantasia experience much (save for when you unlock the reverb ring, and I think that is pretty cool manipulating the song with it). You're just following along to the on-screen cues, and every so often choosing a different instrument set to play (drums, bass, guitar, etc) and that changes the type of music you're swiping your hands around to.

Me personally, I'd prefer an experience more like Rez (that Kinect version)- I never got to experience that on the 360 but it looked great. But it would be excellent if a game was made that made you actually feel more in control than just moving your hands around to on-screen cues.

I also wish they would speed it up, make it really challenging, and make it more like FANTASIA when it was super, wicked fast and Mickey was going insane up on that hill, when things started turning intense and orange and fiery and out of control. This seems way too peaceful. I'm not going to knock anyone who likes it (heck! I loved Viva Pinata and I loved the Kinect obstacle course games) but it just doesn't seem like my style from what I have seen.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's what they need. Wasn't there some DJ game a while back, during the music game craze? I think they even had hardware turntables. I'm not sure how much freedom was in there, but imagine at least being able to spin, mix, and scratch from a number of different tracks and samples... all using your hands and fingertips (controller also an option, of course).

And yes, with Fantasia, I would LOVE if I could make the music louder and more intense, and make it more vicious and wild if I got very vigorous with my hands. Not shaking them around like I'm getting stung by bees, but controlled, firm movements. Like a conductor. And you could swipe in icons form the sides of the screen that could represent different notes, or a different genre of music to mix and blend in, or something. Complete freedom. Like a mix studio, but in the style of Fantasia. And you could of course share your mixed tracks, and maybe you could even customize and artistically draw in things on the background - like fireworks and fire - attach that to your music. That I would like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6