File Manager ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys was looking at the suggestions, forums and comments about WP8 not having a file manager. I mean like is it really a need to have a file manager? Many people keep saying they need it. But hey in the first place why did you get a Windows Phone? Microsoft made this OS is to be simple and sleek. Do you guys agree? Feeling very mad as I cannot stand how people think WP8 is Android. Even iOS doesn't have a file manager and not much people complain about it. What do you guys think about this? Is there really a need? Whats your opinion?

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont need or want a file manager. The hubs- music+video, pictures and Office suit me just fine. I dont see what I would do with a file manager. I prefer to use my computer to manage the files on the phone. Its easier that way.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, ios doesn't hogs storage. And it doesn't have memory card so there is no question of management. People don't feel need of file manager..
Where as in windows phone, other storage builds up and it has no specific reason. I got 3gb of other storage.. Recently,i had a hard reset.. And again its 2.5 gb other storage.. Microsoft failed here...
i have jb my ios, it has file manager now.
Thing is,
File manager need is for advance users.. Basic users would never require file manager..
All pissed people on windows phone are advanced users..

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, ios doesn't hogs storage. And it doesn't have memory card so there is no question of management. People don't feel need of file manager..
Where as in windows phone, other storage builds up and it has no specific reason. I got 3gb of other storage.. Recently,i had a hard reset.. And again its 2.5 gb other storage.. Microsoft failed here...
i have jb my ios, it has file manager now.
Thing is,
File manager need is for advance users.. Basic users would never require file manager..

Sent via tapatalk

But even if there is a file manager,MIcrosoft may disable the user to access the filesystem much like android without root. Unless a hack is found.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've been an advanced user of computers since the early 80's. Personally, I don't see the need for a file manager on a smart phone. This topic has been argued to death for hundred, if not thousands of times on this forum alone. Nothing is going to change any time soon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This topic has been discussed to death so many times can we just let it rest? I think WP8.1 will come out with something (not a typical file manager) which should satisfy those who demand one. If not, they can all go to Android for all I care. I can't say for certain what's going to be done but my suspicion will be around deeper integration of Skydrive.

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
This topic has been discussed to death so many times can we just let it rest? I think WP8.1 will come out with something (not a typical file manager) which should satisfy those who demand one. If not, they can all go to Android for all I care. I can't say for certain what's going to be done but my suspicion will be around deeper integration of Skydrive.

Agree.

Nah. I'm just curious about what you guys feel about that there is not a need for a file manager.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Agree.

Nah. I'm just curious about what you guys feel about that there is not a need for a file manager.

As discussed in previous threads there's a couple of arguments for one. Usually it's about having available offline files (any file type) in a 'organized' fashion. I can agree with this sentiment. The majority of the 'need' stems from places that don't have access to PCs (in other words their phone is their PC) and a good data package so the use of Skydrive is not an option. Again, I can agree with this. However, I don't agree with a full system file manager as it's not necessary.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
For my phone that has the ability to put SD cards on it , file manager is very important . I don't use a computer so often so I can't manage my files and this drives me crazy

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
For my phone that has the ability to put SD cards on it , file manager is very important . I don't use a computer so often so I can't manage my files and this drives me crazy

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

What difference does that make (sd vs no sd)? You can move supported files from and to the phone without a file manager

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
IMO, i think its very important for apps, not users (I'm talking about the majority here). meaning apps should have more folders to be shared between them, more than just the Picture folder. so that users can be able to transfer videos, music, docs, or what ever they want.

The problem is, as soon as this is enabled, the music is open for piracy (as if anyone buys it these days), apps will start to mess up the folders with weird formats, that will eventually slow the system down when accessing such folders.

And that's bad for both the XBox music & video services, Youtube (we already have problems, we don't need more), the user experience, app piracy (not good for the Devs, as it is a strength point to WP, that Devs can trust their apps not to get hacked) and as they said, developers, developers, developers.

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
to be honest Windows Phone 8 is a very good OS, few things are missing but still you can depends on this OS.

I believe Microsoft will allow more control over files & media in away or other and that will solve the file manager issue, for now I believe I don't need a file manager at all

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What difference does that make (sd vs no sd)? You can move supported files from and to the phone without a file manager

I think they mean access to files (non media) on the SD card, which you can't do currently on the phone. Lots of people want to be able to store and transfer files about via bluetooth that they keep on SD cards.

Think from the perspective that you only have your phone and nothing else. It's the only way to get in the head space. This is the market that MS doesn't understand yet Nokia had a large chunk of prior to Android. If WP can provide a good solution then we may see an even bigger market share in those countries that want this.

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree 110% with the OP I think its pointless wtf I can delete my apps/pics/songs etc from my phone normally.
Seriously its pointless wont set it out from iOS or Android.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that WP needs a file manager with full access to system files, it needs the Metro/Modern UI file picker from Windows 8/RT. Everyone that I've seen saying they need a file manager wants it to perform tasks on their files e.g. attach them to emails, surely the file picker would do that job perfectly?

I do agree that we need to be able to store more than just media on the SD Card though.

glamrlama

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
File Manager is one of the reasons I love my BlackBerry. Are any third party file managers available for WP8? I would certainly start to think more about WP if a simple file manager was integrated into the OS. I am just baffled by the lack of this in many mobile OSes.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep this thread on topic about the need for a file manager, not about gender stereotypes.

[WARN]Discrimination or Harassment - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their race, age, nationality, country of residence, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, political views or religious beliefs. Prejudice or discrimination of any form is not tolerated.[/WARN]

vaishak

May 23, 2013
Visit site
File manager is a must but not like android. Microsoft should not give access to system files and I know they won't. It'll be easier for people to manage things in phone using a file manager. For e.g. I download videos through UC browser and there is no option to save them in video hub. All I need is a decent file manager and share option( Bluetooth,wifi direct) for sharing videos from video hub. If MS implements this then wp will sell like hot cakes in countries like India

NL 920

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
WP doesn't need a file manager per se- there are plenty of file manager apps already.

What WP needs is to have real actual read access to a fourth shared storage area. Pictures hub, music hub, office hub are all accessible by apps indirectly- only by proxy of the system which has pathetic support for file types, and apps cannot extend the system with this model.

Moliplayer is an example of what apps could do if they have actual direct read access- moliplayer, with OEM powers, can directly bypass the system to read files, and thus it can successfully play a video file renamed to sample.mkv.mp3, where as the system just says "this is an invalid audio file". I explained this to demonstrate how the system method of reading the library is inherently restricted to supported file types, and thus cannot be extended.

The reason for the fourth shared storage area is so that any app can export data that can be imported to any other app. Video downloads from YouTube played in any player, file downloads, backing up game saves, there would be a place to actually email files from and save files from emails. Apps could optionally use it by default, and if "use SD card to store files and media" is selected, those of us with 64GB SD cards and 8GB internal storage would have a means of actually making use of the SD while offloading large caches/saved videos or downloads or etc from internal space.

This also solves the issue of opening files in other apps doubling the used storage space. Currently, if you download a 1GB video from the torrent app, and open it with moliplayer via the system's "open with", what happens? The video gets *copied* from the torrent app's isolated store to moliplayer's isolated store. That video a) takes 30s to copy, so there's a huge delay, b) now exists twice on your phone in two separate almost hidden places. 1GB videos need 2GB free to be played. 5GB videos need 10GB free to be played. That is... So stupid. If you could download to and open from a shared storage area- problem solved.

If there were an official utility to import export all isolated store data to/from the shared store area, apps would even need to manually add support for it

File manager and file manager apps are still largely unnecessary under this model, since the shared storage area would be accessible by any app the same way pictures are accessible by any app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99