Finally got rid of my Band 2 (Sad Day)

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just finally got rid of my band 2 today. I have done at least 9 total in replacements and exchanges in having the device since launch. My wife has been on my case about replacing which never bothered me until the last 3x I had to send it off to get replaced via microsoft. Though the process is easy it is still a hindrance. I ended up going with the vivactive HR which looks good and all (still charging) but looks like it doesn't sync too well. I may end up going back to fitbit unfortunately.

Reason I returned is I purchase my wearables and home networking via bestbuy for convenience and exchange. With them not being able to support the Band 2 I didn't see the need to keep exchanging through microsoft and wasting my warranty with BB.

I may take the vivoactive back if fitbit has better results with the sync and notifications we will see. Good thing about being a elite plus is I get 45 days. Any suggestions on replacements (I wish I would have picked up the vector when it was 50% off on amazon) please let me know.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
What were the reasons for exchange? I've had two returned as a result of the strap cracking. I am on my third unit but haven't worn it the past month.

Sent from mTalk

ATAcapt

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I too am looking for a replacement for my beloved Band 2. I went thru 5 Band ones and this is my second Band 2. It is still working but now missing most of the notifications. I purchased a Garmin Vivoactive HR on sale just before Christmas and I am happy with it except that it is difficult to read notifications indoors or dim light (works better than the Band 2 in bright sun) and the sleep is not very detailed. Also the heart rate is much better on the Garmin.
The MIO Slice just came out yesterday. I have been waiting for it since it was introduced in CES 2016. It should arrive Friday. I hope it is the answer.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I just passed the one year anniversary of my Band 2. No problems, no replacements, no cracked straps (I hope I'm not jinxing myself).

It's been fantastic, and I love the golf functionality. The auto-shot tracking is like magic techno-witchcraft and never ceases to amaze me. Such a shame that we're not getting a Band 3 which could have ironed out the strap issues and given us a device at it's true potential. :(

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Four Band 2 exchanges since last Christmas at the MS Store in the mall, 25 min away. They said they have "plenty" in stock for replacements...let's see how long that goes. It's always been real easy though...I'm in and out in less than 10 min. (Wish I didn't have to though...)

Got my daughter a Garmin Vivosmart HR this year...then realized it wouldn't sync with her (aging) Lumia 820 since it won't support install of AU. So ended up buying an unlocked Lumia 735 (similar small size). Upgrading it now to AU. Hoping she'll have success with notifications on the Garmin. It may end up also being my next fitness band if the MS Store runs out of B2 replacements.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My Band 2 never broke or needed replacing but I ended up getting a Fitbit Surge and I use that now. Unfortunately it does not have notifications. Once or if Microsoft ever add a GATT server to W10M then it should work.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've replaced my Band 2 once because it stopped taking a charge after about 4 months, and I shipped it off for a second replacement for the same issue about a month ago. I was advised that I will probably be getting a refund because they are out of inventory, and that could take 6-8 weeks for the refund to be issued.

Last week, I picked up a Garmin Vivoactive HR. Notifications only seem to work when the Garmin Connect Mobile app is open. When the app is suspended in the background, closed, or the phone screen is locked, the phone disconnects Bluetooth from the device and notifications no longer come through. That is the feature I'm missing the most from my Band 2. What is the point of notifications on your wrist if you have to have the app actively running in order to receive the notification?

As for syncing my activity, it doesn't do so in the background like the Band 2 did, but since it does automatically reconnect and sync every time the GCM app is opened, it's not too big of a deal for me. I have contacted support for the Bluetooth disconnecting issue, and I'm hoping the upcoming GATT support in the Windows 10 "Creators Update" will resolve this issue.

The only other issue I'm really having is that there is not a manual sleep tracking mode. You can enter a normal bedtime and wake up time, but it just estimates when to start and stop tracking sleep based on movement. It usually shows I am asleep when I lie down in my bed even if I'm watching TV, using the computer, or reading before I actually fall asleep. Yeah, I know I don't have good bedtime habits.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
What were the reasons for exchange? I've had two returned as a result of the strap cracking. I am on my third unit but haven't worn it the past month.

Sent from mTalk

I am fairly active, I am about 6'3 275 and played sports my whole life. My friends and I tend to play basketball 2-3x a week outside of taking the stairs everyday to work and coaching. I love the device just tired of having to go back to my fitbit flex (kept just because of this breaking all the time).

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I too am looking for a replacement for my beloved Band 2. I went thru 5 Band ones and this is my second Band 2. It is still working but now missing most of the notifications. I purchased a Garmin Vivoactive HR on sale just before Christmas and I am happy with it except that it is difficult to read notifications indoors or dim light (works better than the Band 2 in bright sun) and the sleep is not very detailed. Also the heart rate is much better on the Garmin.
The MIO Slice just came out yesterday. I have been waiting for it since it was introduced in CES 2016. It should arrive Friday. I hope it is the answer.

Will look into the MIO Slice first I heard of it. My brother-in-law has tried all fitbits and went to Garmin because it survived a tuff mudder. I am just struggling getting this thing to sync on fast ring on mobile. I have to sync with PC (which isn't hard as I work in IT) but it is a pain.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just passed the one year anniversary of my Band 2. No problems, no replacements, no cracked straps (I hope I'm not jinxing myself).

It's been fantastic, and I love the golf functionality. The auto-shot tracking is like magic techno-witchcraft and never ceases to amaze me. Such a shame that we're not getting a Band 3 which could have ironed out the strap issues and given us a device at it's true potential. :(

I was waiting so patiently on Band 3 as well. I am not sure if my wrist is to blame..? Maybe they should have did a hinge design like Garmin. I am a large on Band but a regular on Garmin vivioactive ( I thought I would be a xl). I think failures are in the design not giving appropriate flex for different wrist sizes.

Sorry about all the replies guys I need to do a multi-quote.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Four Band 2 exchanges since last Christmas at the MS Store in the mall, 25 min away. They said they have "plenty" in stock for replacements...let's see how long that goes. It's always been real easy though...I'm in and out in less than 10 min. (Wish I didn't have to though...)

Got my daughter a Garmin Vivosmart HR this year...then realized it wouldn't sync with her (aging) Lumia 820 since it won't support install of AU. So ended up buying an unlocked Lumia 735 (similar small size). Upgrading it now to AU. Hoping she'll have success with notifications on the Garmin. It may end up also being my next fitness band if the MS Store runs out of B2 replacements.

Closest MS store is 35mins from my house but parking takes at least 20 unless you do valet. And it is a direction that I only go to if I have a datacenter trip. And I got the last exchange they told me apparently last time.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I've replaced my Band 2 once because it stopped taking a charge after about 4 months, and I shipped it off for a second replacement for the same issue about a month ago. I was advised that I will probably be getting a refund because they are out of inventory, and that could take 6-8 weeks for the refund to be issued.

Last week, I picked up a Garmin Vivoactive HR. Notifications only seem to work when the Garmin Connect Mobile app is open. When the app is suspended in the background, closed, or the phone screen is locked, the phone disconnects Bluetooth from the device and notifications no longer come through. That is the feature I'm missing the most from my Band 2. What is the point of notifications on your wrist if you have to have the app actively running in order to receive the notification?

As for syncing my activity, it doesn't do so in the background like the Band 2 did, but since it does automatically reconnect and sync every time the GCM app is opened, it's not too big of a deal for me. I have contacted support for the Bluetooth disconnecting issue, and I'm hoping the upcoming GATT support in the Windows 10 "Creators Update" will resolve this issue.

The only other issue I'm really having is that there is not a manual sleep tracking mode. You can enter a normal bedtime and wake up time, but it just estimates when to start and stop tracking sleep based on movement. It usually shows I am asleep when I lie down in my bed even if I'm watching TV, using the computer, or reading before I actually fall asleep. Yeah, I know I don't have good bedtime habits.

Are you on fast ring? I had notifications working once and that was it. I have a 950xl and it is driving me crazy. I reached out to Garmin you can retro fix the sleep by using the estimate for the day prior. But my band gave plenty of info my dr. needed on how much sleep I need to get. I am liking the device and I use inkin for my social interactions so I am not tied to a particular band/brand.

I really wish I would have gotten the Vector when it was on sale for 199.99 but the beauty of a physical store like bestbuy is whenever I want something new I can pay the difference when the fitness tracker breaks with the 2yr replacement plan. That and I am Elite Plus they tend to be very nice.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Are you on fast ring? I had notifications working once and that was it. I have a 950xl and it is driving me crazy.
I am not participating in the Insider program. My observations were with the latest public release. (build 14393.576). Over the weekend, I received a few email notifications when I don't have the Garmin Connect Mobile app opened, but it is very sporadic. I can't detect a pattern of circumstances that allow the notifications to come through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss