Fixing Windows Mobile

QuaZsar

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Dear fellas,

This post is a collection for all the bugs, problems and suggestions that I collected according to my usage of W10M on a Lumia 1520, currently on build 10586.122, and what I have seen users complain about on forums, the feedback app and elsewhere on the internet.

The writer of this post acknowledges that there is indeed a feedback app, and has been using it to post bugs and suggestions, but since the list is too long, here is a complete list (that will be updated) intended to fix the current state for Windows 10 Mobile. And no, those issues won't be fixed with a hard reset.

I will be updating this post if anything else comes to mind, and will update it also with video and screenshots that shows each problem or suggestion properly.

Here is my full list:

- Proximity sensor bug: Sometimes when you remove the phone from a near object (i.e. your ear) it will show a blank black screen for a second, then the screen turns back off, then on again. (It should turn back on as soon as you remove your ear from it).

- Glance screen bug: When opening the Glance screen setting, nothing is there, and glance is not working nor the user is able to activate it.

- Cortana should sync notifications between your phone and PC, also, clearing a notification on one end should clear it on the other as well.

- Starting up a Windows 10 Mobile device from scratch takes a long time.

- No 4G or 3G only mode. It was there in one of the earlier insider builds but then got removed!

- Full screen jitter. See image below:
original.jpg

- When doing a soft-reset, the device prompts you to enter your cardentials again, which not only a password is enough for, but then an email verification, which is all cumbersome.

- Some older apps still crash and don't work well. Examples of that are the Here Apps and some older games like flick

- Battery problems: under perfect conditions, battery is still a hit or miss on W10M. Battery drain can occur with nothing running, and in general, it is less than what WP8 provided.

- Display brightness bug: Sometimes (especially at night) the low brightness setting is brighter than medium.

- Volume button bug: Sometimes the volume sliders show on screen like if someone pressed on a volume button, where the user didn't do scratch!

- The app list:
  • Dim-less app list after returning to it using the back button (from an app), or locking the screen then unlocking.
  • The lag that occurs when swiping from the start screen to the app list. It is there since the WP7 days.
  • A bug that occurs sometimes when tapping on a tile, which registers it as a swipe to the app list by mistake.
  • No way to re-arrange apps by date added and most used, etc.
  • Search button should be moved to the bottom of the screen to be closer to user's thumbs.
  • Navigation bar for up and down (on the right side) has a weird behavior while scrolling (it changes position and size while scrolling).

- Music controls:
  • When you first play a song, it does this weird stutter animation (like someone is pressing on next song button).
  • Add back music controls to the lock screen (like Windows Phone 7.5)
  • No skipping ahead in the same song (needs a slider with a timer for the song).

- Battery settings:
  • Not showing the last time the device was taken off the charger (time since last charge).
  • No option to show status since last charge. (Some people aren't interested in the whole last 24 hours, there needs to be status since the last charge).
  • No visual display of how the battery is doing in time (battery vs time chart)
  • In the background apps list, some of them are showing multiple times, some of them do not have an icon showing.
  • If you press on an apps usage and show details then back out, the entry for that app disappears from the list of apps usage.

- Data usage (settings):
  • Shows wrong information and stats.
  • Usage information changes if you press on details and back out.
  • Deleting the current data limit, and setting a new one doesn't accept the size of the limit nor the date of the newer one correctly (reverts back to the old limit info).
  • The dialog box for adding a new limit is oversized and looks hidious.

- People App:
  • No way to delete Skype users or block them.
  • What's new pane is slow to pull down data.
  • Visual appearance needs a major re-make.
  • Scrolling in a long list of contacts can result in blank spaces (needs a fraction of a second to show back up again).
  • Live tile shows blank circles. (Contacts without a picture shouldn't appear on the live tile).
  • If you set up a new device, all the linked contacts in your Outlook account are not linked anymore (doesn't save changes on the cloud).

- Multi-tasking pane:
  • A swipe down to close an app can get stuck at times. This results in the app jumping back up, and requiring the user to do this again with a larger swipe down to close the app. (I notice this more with Silverlight apps)
  • On larger displays (eg. Lumia 1520), there needs to be a re-arrangement for the current open apps so that it's closer to your thumb. Currently, accessing the Multi-tasking pane using a back button results in showing the current open app in the upper left corner. It should be in the lower left or right corner so that it's near for the users thumb to close.
  • (i.e. instead of 1 2 arrangement, it should be 3 4)
  • 3 4 1 2
  • Add a close all open apps button.

- Action Center:
  • No music controls available.
  • No notifications for currently downloaded items. i.e. a store app, or a background download.
  • Make the action center translucent.
  • Allow for widgets to be added to the action center (like iOS).
  • A slider for brightness (enough with the limit of 3 options).
  • A weird bug that happens sometimes after soft-resetting the device where the action center would stay blank.

- Microsoft Edge:
  • Slowness in opening webpages.
  • Problems in rendering some webpages.
  • Empty squares when scrolling in heavy web pages (like Windows Central or the Verge).
  • Failing to register a tap on a link while the web page is still loading.
  • Input lag when you first scroll some webpages. This results in a stutter-like and jumpy scrolling.
  • No forward button / swipe, and no back swipe.
  • A simple web session can result in opening up so many webpages that aren't necessary; they don't close when you use the back button either.
  • Open tabs menu doesn't clearly show what webpage you are currently on, and doesn't correctly order them in an understood way to the user. It needs a major re-make.
  • Returning to a previous webpage (or a previously open tab) can result in it reloading from scratch. On iOS and Android it is usually still cached in memory and does that instantly.
  • No background downloading or downloading under a lock-screen.
  • Pressing on some buttons in webpages can result in selecting its inside text instead of performing the pressing action.
  • A problem when trying to copy text from Edge to other areas of the OS.
  • Navigation bar should auto-hide while scrolling.

- Windows Mobile UI - General:
  • Hamburger buttons should be placed in the bottom left corner instead of the top.
  • A universal swipe from the left edge of the screen API to access the hamburger menu hidden elements. If it is not universal, then it won't work well (i.e. Groove Music).
  • More fluid animations, just like the ones in WP8. It seems that animations in apps are not that present, unlike earlier versions of the OS. This gives the impression that the OS is not that fluid.
  • Accessing the settings menu from the action center makes a black animation that looks horrible.
  • The sharing UI (for multiple files) should include a summary of info for the files that are going to be shared, their size, and how many, etc.
  • Alarms should have separate volume controls than apps and phone.
  • The dialog that pops up on screen should remove the theme-colored square that is on the 4 edges of the dialog box.
  • Landscape orientation for the Start Screen.
  • General UI elements placement should be closer to the lower edge of the screen (i.e. search bars in apps) to be closer to the users thumbs.
  • Bring back the concept of hubs: The problem was never the concept of hubs itself, only the implementation. I don't see a problem where Microsoft could add up API's that allows for apps to integrate in hubs like messaging (imagine having a one up where you could text any user, either by SMS, Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook or any other app that the user is available on). This could happen, since apps can integrate in the people app for instance. This won't require an OS update to make changes to any service if API's where implemented correctly.
  • Lock-screen notifications, and lock-screen customizations are really needed. If the older attempt on fixing that was slow and buggy, that should require adjustments to API's and an update, not to forget or remove this option.
  • The in-call UI: It looks horrid compared to what we had on WP8.1. It lacks the beautiful large caller photo, and on a Lumia 1520, it doesn't scale correctly. In call audio recording should be added to older devices as well.

- Continuum:
  • Add touch input when using Continuum on a touchscreen.
  • At its current state, it is slow and laggy at times.
  • There is no harm of displaying a blown up version of the non-UWP to use with continuum, until the developer releases his UWP version.

- Live tiles and start screen:
  • Adding back the larger four-squared tile.
  • Refining the long-press on an app's tile to change size: in this current way, it is hard to re-arrange tiles and mistakes it sometimes for making a folder.
  • Adding the ability to turn off a live tile (like W10).
  • Adding a swipe to the right (from left to right) over a live tile to flip it to the other side and update its info.
  • Interactive live tiles. (Self-explanatory).
  • The bouncy animation at the end of the list (upper edge or down) is inconsistent. Sometimes it makes a full bounce when scrolled from a far distance, other times it makes a stuttery short bounce.
  • Allow for animated and parallax-effect backgrounds.
  • Allow for high resolution backgrounds. (Currently, it takes a part of the image up to the resolution of your screen, but then extends that to larger size (as scrolling is added to it), so the image looks pixelated).
  • Add the new flipping animation for tiles (like Windows 10 PC).

- Outlook mail and Calendar app:
  • Renders some emails in a wrong way.
  • Emails are not zoomed in to the correct amount when opening an email.
  • There isn't a way to keep the aliases folders updated and synced when opened.

- Store app problems:
  • Checking for app updates can take up to 40 seconds.
  • Opening time is slow.
  • App updates doesn't have notifications in the Action Center.
  • If you lock the device while downloading, it will pause a download until you unlock the device again.
  • Search algorithm problems: Apps that are not related still show in the suggested list. (i.e. typing Instagram in the search will show Fhotoroom even before 6tag in the list)
  • App still crashes, especially when trying to access it from its tile, while it was launched before.
  • While in "Downloads and updates", currently downloaded apps show wrong info "**.** MB of **.** MB" changes while it is still downloading, and is not correct.
  • Lack of animations in the app in general gives the illusion of slowness to it.

- Photos app:
  • App is still slow in updating the collection with new images.
  • Scrolling in a large collection results in empty squares that take half a second to show up again.
  • Flipping between images can cause a weird bug after a couple of images: the next image is displaced and sometimes another part of the image overlaps it in a weird way.
  • Sometimes a living image won't play.
  • Editing options are still basic. On Windows 10 there are tons of other advanced options.
  • Panning an image and pinch to zoom are still laggy and stuttery.

- Keyboard:
  • Autocorrect is not as good as it was in WP8.
  • Sometimes it won't register a tap on a letter at all (especially in Edge).
  • Sometimes it won't register the correct letter. There used to be a very good mechanism to detect the letter pressed on WP, now I am sure something has changed.
  • Keyboard is inconsistent between some apps.
  • A row for numbers in large screened phones is a must.
  • Keyboard in landscape should add more buttons (like copy and paste buttons).
  • Keyboard user additions for words should be exportable and backed up to restore later on.
  • A new dialog for copy / cut / paste. A new one also for text input cursor and its position.
  • Adding synonyms when selecting a word to suggestions.
  • Changing the language using a swipe on the spacebar is a hit or miss. Most of the time it is regesterd as a press instead of a swipe.
  • Keyboard keeps hiding sometimes especially when the app is loading something behind it. E.g. when using Microsoft Edge and it is loading a webpage, if you enter a text field the keyboard will keep hiding.

- Camera app problems:
  • The camera can still fail to take shots at times, and display an error.
  • Images are over-processed and in general bad looking compared to WP8.1.
  • Focusing and taking photos is still slow compared to an iPhone or an Android.
  • The great lenses concept is hidden and abandoned.

- Messaging app problems:
  • App is slower than it used to be with WP8.1 (opening the app, loading texts, etc.)
  • App still crashes from time to time.
  • No animations present.
  • Scrolling in a conversation fast will result in blank spaces that take time to load.

- The Dialer app:
  • Cannot delete a number in the favorites list.
  • Dial Pad is still laggy and un-responsive at times.
  • A weird bug happens sometimes, and images of contacts in the "History" pane don't show up.
  • The back space button is placed far from the user thumbs and is unresponsive at times.

Last edited: 03/08/2016

Last edited:

montera

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Oh, overwhelmingly exhausting list of bugs, which turns me off of the 10. The 8.1 is running and working like it should on my 1520. So, no need for the 10.

ampipe100

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I'd like to see the dial pad button placed back on the bottom like it is in 8.1 as opposed to the top in 10.

Kind of like the Hamburger being in the wrong place. On my 640, it is nearly impossible to reach the dial pad with one hand in the position it is currently located.

Actually I'd like to see the history, speed dial and dial pad icons all places in a row on the bottom.

Finally, full screen caller ID pictures instead of the smaller round ones should be a user option like it is for iphone now.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure you mentioned the bug that causes the Notification Centre to be blank when you pull down. I think this happens after soft resetting the device. Still investigating. It starts showing again after repeatedly restarting the phone. Thought build .122 would have fixed this but it just happened on my L920 again just now. Can't send screenshots because WC app. (Not even on the new app)

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks sir. Very good job, almost every little bug and fix a one could hope for. Microsoft should hire someone like yourself! Kudos.

mkKozak

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Nice list.
I think hamburger buttons could be anywhere(!) except this one particular perfectly wrong place that they've put them. I can't reach it on 4" device so people with bigger screens must suffer from overstretching their fingers, anxiety - that they will brake their phones because of bad grip while reaching to this small little button on the opposite side of the screen, wasted time to earn money for new device that they've just dropped because of very weak grip caused by overstretched fingers in addition with fear to drop a device, that they've just dropped so it overhelmed them so much so now they suffer from depression.
And that was just a budget phone. Now imagine what iPhone users must suffer from, because they have hamburger buttons too - in the same place, but no budget devices ;)

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Basically make it more like 8.1 but with all the new features (Hello, Contiuum). Ditch hamburger menus, poor design language, circle profile pictures, etc. An aesthetically pleasing OS that's not trying to be Android with tiles would go a long way.

QuaZsar

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Not sure you mentioned the bug that causes the Notification Centre to be blank when you pull down. I think this happens after soft resetting the device. Still investigating. It starts showing again after repeatedly restarting the phone. Thought build .122 would have fixed this but it just happened on my L920 again just now. Can't send screenshots because WC app. (Not even on the new app)

Now it is up there. Thanks for posting :)

QuaZsar

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh, overwhelmingly exhausting list of bugs, which turns me off of the 10. The 8.1 is running and working like it should on my 1520. So, no need for the 10.

In general, I am more happy using W10M, and in general, I am the type of person that gets annoyed a lot by all the small details, but then I think that I am more happy using W10M, at least I think we are finally on the right track.

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
You might as well add another bug that my device is having:
I can't seem to get my device to be recognized as a mass storage when connected to any PC using a USB cable. I have a Lumia 1520 and I searched the internet many times with no solution. It just charges, nothing as a storage device.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to get my device to be recognized as a mass storage when connected to any PC using a USB cable. I have a Lumia 1520 and I searched the internet many times with no solution. It just charges, nothing as a storage device.

Did you tried different cables? Were pcs and notebooks connected to internet the first time you plugged your phone? (valid for windows xp/Seven/8.1)

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think you should separate the bugs and features. While it's hard to argue that a bug shouldn't be fixed, features/changes are always subjective.

For example, I know landscape start screen is a popular request but I do not want it unless there is an option to specifically turn only it off. I do not want to have orientation lock on to prevent landscape start, and have to turn it off so i can landscape apps.

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Did you tried different cables? Were pcs and notebooks connected to internet the first time you plugged your phone? (valid for windows xp/Seven/8.1)

I did try multiple cables. In fact, I have two Lumia 1520's, and when using the same cable, the same PC, one is recognized, the other is not. I even tried removing the driver for the other one, trying to get the PC to detect it again, nothing. I tried downloading the Windows Device Recovery Tool, that downloads some drivers along with it, still no luck!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I did try multiple cables. In fact, I have two Lumia 1520's, and when using the same cable, the same PC, one is recognized, the other is not. I even tried removing the driver for the other one, trying to get the PC to detect it again, nothing. I tried downloading the Windows Device Recovery Tool, that downloads some drivers along with it, still no luck!

What o.s. in your pc

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
For example, I know landscape start screen is a popular request but I do not want it unless there is an option to specifically turn only it off. I do not want to have orientation lock on to prevent landscape start, and have to turn it off so i can landscape apps.

I totally agree with this! I still don't get why this so many request for landscape Start Screen. If we eventually get landscape SS, I hope it's optional and not tied to orientation lock settings.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Do you use PIN code on your 1520? If yes, you might want to always unlock whenever you plug to your PC.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't want your experience with Windows 10 for phones. I seem to get through every single day and the only thing I need to track on my Lumia 1520 is when I am using data vs wifi. I don't even worry if my battery won't make it anymore. I got to tell you, if I had what you have on your phone OP, I would abandon 10, and 8.1 too. That list is a full-on pity party.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This list is really extensive. I don't even have half the bugs that you have reported though I have a couple that you haven't mentioned

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion