Flashing AT&T 820 with different 820 firmware?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone flashed their AT&T 820 with a different 820 firmware? I am getting the itch to do it since AT&T doesn't seem to care about the 820. And with 820 being my backup device I can take a chance! :smile:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You know I just read a thread where a user said that Lumia 900 got 7.8 update on 9th May 2013, I was depressed because 7.8 was out ages ago and AT&T released it now.
Looking at that, I don't see an official update until Iron Man 4 comes out, the worst you could do is brick your phone, but am sure there are ways of unbricking it on youtube?
Alternatively consider selling it and getting an unbranded 820.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I am just more curious than anything. And I have a unlocked 720 I use as my daily driver. So the 820 is backup that I can afford to play with and mess up. :smile:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for GDR2... my guess is that Nokia will push a large update around then with all improvements to date, and AT&T will put it through. Why trash your backup device for no good reason? And why is the 820 your backup? Isn't it superior to the 720 in nearly every way, except possibly appearance (weight/design)? Just curious, I don't even own an 820 at this point... though I am considering it.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I would wait for GDR2... my guess is that Nokia will push a large update around then with all improvements to date, and AT&T will put it through. Why trash your backup device for no good reason? And why is the 820 your backup? Isn't it superior to the 720 in nearly every way, except possibly appearance (weight/design)? Just curious, I don't even own an 820 at this point... though I am considering it.

Flashing = Trashing??? um, ok??? Flashing to a newer firmware might fix some bugs and improve the device in other ways, so I think that is a good reason. And waiting for AT&T push out GDR2, I will have a Nokia phablet by then and my 720 will be my third option. lol

My 820 suffers from the noise cancelation bug, also the battery life blows for my type of usage. The battery life on the 720 is the best of any smartphone I have had. I like the realistic colors the 720 screen produces. And like you mention the weight and design are better. It does take an extra half second to load apps and download info, but all the other positives make up for it, and more. :smile:

dhack21

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to know if this is possible. The noise cancellation issue and not having storage check being the reasons.
Sent from my Lumia using Board Express

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Flashing = Trashing??? um, ok??? Flashing to a newer firmware might fix some bugs and improve the device in other ways, so I think that is a good reason. And waiting for AT&T push out GDR2, I will have a Nokia phablet by then and my 720 will be my third option. lol

My 820 suffers from the noise cancelation bug, also the battery life blows for my type of usage. The battery life on the 720 is the best of any smartphone I have had. I like the realistic colors the 720 screen produces. And like you mention the weight and design are better. It does take an extra half second to load apps and download info, but all the other positives make up for it, and more. :smile:

Thanks, good reasons. Is there any verification that firmware updates can fix the noise cancellation issue? Or that's exactly what you're trying to find out? :)

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
If you have found a carrier who has pushed out the 1308 update, I would like to know who that is. As far as I know, (for some strange reason) Nokia hasn't released the 1308 update for the 820 yet. I tried looking for updated firmware recently myself, and the latest update for the 820 (on Nokia's servers, at least in public view) is 1232.5951.1249.0001. I am not exactly sure when Nokia will actually support us 820 users and push out the 1308 update.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

You are not alone, that monster has very low stamina for the amount of energy it has.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
How are you getting that information from Navifirm Plus? Whenever I try it, I get a message: "service specific exception: com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h