Found a bug today while working out

netwirejohn

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I noticed today while working out, I had to stop my workout short to attend to something so I put it on pause which stops the counter and supposedly the calorie count. A few times it asked me if I wanted to continue to work out, and I said yes, but the counter was still paused. Finally when I was ready to resume I noticed it was counting all of the calories burned while it was paused. I also noticed once I synced me results the heart rate didn't match the summary heart rate that was given at the end of the workout. My highest heart rate was 178 and no where on the graph is reflected on there. Not sure who I can tell Microsoft so I can tell them how I was able to do it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, in regards to the calorie count, a person burns calories whether they physically active or not so wouldn't say that is a bug. In regards to the heart rate monitor, not sure about that one as I don't own a band...(i'm guessing sweat may factor into the equation?) someone else with a band & other heart rate monitoring equipment would be better placed to say / indicate if there is an issue or not.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure the second issue is a bug either...I've seen something similar in sleep data and elsewhere on the Band. My sense is that whatever the ongoing sampling rate is (e.g., once per second, minute, 10 minutes, etc.), certain stats reported are correct -- however, the graphs may either reflect a different (slower) sampling rate or perhaps use some form of "moving window" averaging/smoothing. Such massaging of the data for display purposes would make it seem like extreme values are missing.

-Matt

netwirejohn

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Well I would understand it counting calories when it was out of the workout mode program, but I thought the workout mode programming is to narrow down exactly the calories burned during a workout session, so it seems weird that the calorie counter did not stop when it was in pause. Why have the clock stop but the calorie counter continue?

As for the heart rate, the summary info displayed on the band showed 178 (high) heart rate which you would have expected to see on the reports, which isn't there. Why would the band report one thing but the graphics show differently? Actually I see it now...

The app on the phone.. it's chart shows partial of the workout but it never finished showing the graph. When I login to Microsoft Health Web dashboard I can see the 178 heart rate. I added two screenshots for comparison.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I would understand it counting calories when it was out of the workout mode program, but I thought the workout mode programming is to narrow down exactly the calories burned during a workout session, so it seems weird that the calorie counter did not stop when it was in pause. Why have the clock stop but the calorie counter continue? {snip}
Just guessing here, but I'd think its because even though you've temporarily stopped the workout, you continue to burn calories? Seems like it wouldn't be an accurate calorie count otherwise. Seems logical that it would continue to count calories burned, regardless. Now as to whether its counting them accurately when you've stopped exercising vs. when exercising; that's a different issue.

Interesting about the heart rate graph. Seems like the phone app cuts it off when you paused it, but didn't pick it up again. Shows the right duration though. No idea whats going on there.

settelma

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem when running. If you don't pause the calories works. I wish they would also allow you to merge runs when you accidentally terminate the run when really intending to resume.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos