Full 20mp.. or at least single 16mp?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere before, but search turned up blank.

Is there a way to take pictures in full 20mp? If not, is it at least possible to se it to just 16mp rather than creating two pictures for everything? I've tried a lot of the free camera apps, and they all seem to save at 16mp + 5mp. Proshot has the option of just 16mp, but the trial won't actually save pictures, so I can't confirm it will do what I want without spending the money.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No there is no setting to only get the "big" size picture on stock apps.

And about the 20 MP this is the detector size not the picture size.
Because the camera can take full 4:3 and 16:9 pictures the detector has to be bigger.

4:3 = 4992x3744=18690048 ≈ 19Mpix "picture"
16:9 = 5376x3024=16257024 ≈ 16Mpix "picture"
5376x3744=20127744 ≈ 20Mpix "detector"

And please also see
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...i-get-my-microsoft-camera-app-shoot-jpeg.html

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Almost every other camera app (ProShot, Camera360 Sight, 1Shot, etc.) saves only one copy of the photo, i.e. not a 5MP + [some higher resolution version of the photo]. You could try those that are free and see if you find what you're looking for.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Almost every other camera app (ProShot, Camera360 Sight, 1Shot, etc.) saves only one copy of the photo, i.e. not a 5MP + [some higher resolution version of the photo]. You could try those that are free and see if you find what you're looking for.

Yes. But none of them can save in RAW format like Lumia Camera 5 does. So a 16MP or 19MP DNG RAW image is inherently better than a 20MP JPG image.

The down side is that you need a RAW processor such as Rawer (on phone) or Lightroom (off phone) processing.

For posting to FB or Instagram, the 5MP version is the better choice anyway.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm not liking what I see so far for camera apps. Camera360 and 360 Sight don't seem to have the option to change resolution. OneShot is a nice layout, but the highest resolution setting is 5mp.

Are there seriously no free camera apps like the Lumia camera that will allow you to save only the 16mp pictures?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes. But none of them can save in RAW format like Lumia Camera 5 does. So a 16MP or 19MP DNG RAW image is inherently better than a 20MP JPG image.

The down side is that you need a RAW processor such as Rawer (on phone) or Lightroom (off phone) processing.

For posting to FB or Instagram, the 5MP version is the better choice anyway.

Hmmm, RAW or DNG formats are usually more useful for thorough post-processing other post-mortem photo analysis. But for most uses, the .jpeg output is pretty useful.

Certain apps do not recognize the RAW and DNG output files, such as Zoom (which I highly recommend) - exactly as you mentioned (that there is a need for additional apps).

In the end, the difference between DNG/RAW from .jpeg is barely noticeable - at least from the output of the L1020.

Ah... Instagram... the Instagram BETA app has a way of "ruining" a good photo by automatically decreasing the image resolution.:angel:

I'm not liking what I see so far for camera apps. Camera360 and 360 Sight don't seem to have the option to change resolution. OneShot is a nice layout, but the highest resolution setting is 5mp.

Are there seriously no free camera apps like the Lumia camera that will allow you to save only the 16mp pictures?

Camera360 now has an option to change resolution - all you have to do is swipe (I forgot which direction) to bring out the settings/toggle that would allow you to change the output resolution.

As for 1Shot camera (not OneShot), it can also output "high" resolution photos - I've got several of such photos in my L1020 (definitely not 5MP).

I'd recommend you to give these two apps a try - check the settings out in each app.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Camera 360 aight, to me, is just too sloppy.

1shot looks like exactly that I've been looking for. The mp ratings seem weird... 18.7mp or 16.3mp. But anyway, thank you very much for that recommendation.

For what its worth, I seldom post pictures from my phone to a social network.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

1shot looks like exactly that I've been looking for. The mp ratings seem weird... 18.7mp or 16.3mp. But anyway, thank you very much for that recommendation.

No the mp ratings are not weird.
4:3 = 4992x3744=18690048 = 18.7
16:9 = 5376x3024=16257024 = 16.3

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

They're not exactly "weird". Some people feel that having a certain number of decimal places makes it look more "professional"... but not too much because of spacing. Three or four significant figures are most often used to make the numbers look more "technical", but the performance is just the same. Check out Harrie-S' numbers in post #8.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I know the technical. I meant weird as in neither of the stock phone apps read it that way, nor does the phone advertising. Caught me off guard.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Partially because I don't have the dollar or two at the moment. Partly because this is my first Windows phone and I'm not sure how much I want to invest in the ecosystem just yet. Partly because everyone loves free apps... myself included. Partly because if W10 follows through on their promise to "easily" port android apps, more choices will be coming - both paid and non-paid. Partly because most of the apps I have been finding are 2 and 3 star ratings. Really, there are a ton of reasons why people like me night want to just simply toss money out without at least trying to figure out the basics of things first. Mostly, though, I'm just that broke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss