Future of ESPN ScoreCenter?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that there's an exclusive ESPN-Nokia app (available to non-Nokia users May 2013), what does this mean in regards to support for ESPN ScoreCenter that's avaliable to all WP7 users? Currently the app is at its most basic, lacks notification and live tile, and suffers from intrusive ads (ads are not necessarily the problem but they block links on the pages). Any attempts to contact customer service results in generic responses. I'm curious whether there's any actual support/development for ESPN ScoreCenter, or, if all their effort is now focused on the new Nokia-ESPN app. If so, it will be next year before non-Nokia users receive any sort of update. Also, will this be a similar approach to other apps that currently have two versions - general WP7 and Nokia-exclusive (example: Groupon). Right now there aren't too many such situations, but what if this becomes a trend?

I don't necessarily mind waiting for Nokia exclusive apps being released to non-Nokia users, but I think it's unfair if currently available apps lose their support in favor of the exclusive apps, and the only way to receive such updates is to wait out the exclusivity.

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I certainly hope there is a some future for it given the evident regional restrictions in place for the Nokia app. As much as I'd like to have it, it appears not to be available in Canada.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The app Score Center was built by ESPN developers where as the Nokia app is done by Nokia. Have you used the Nokia app? Its not that good. It is basically a news reader. Updates on the Score Center app will come from ESPN and Nokias app will get updates from Nokias developers. Its really two different apps and Score Center is better. I wouldn't worry about development and updates ESPN will keep up there end if they don't let them know. When I had the L900 I used score center over the Nokia app anyways.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The lack of support for ESPN Scorecenter is seriously depressing. The ad banner that blocks link in MLB Gamecasts.... ugh.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Hate to say it but iphone version (Scorecenter) is way better. And the only update in a year and half was to add the ad banner. And on two different phones the scroll across bottom hasn't worked for me for a month. Tech support useless..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I sent another email requesting an update to resolve the issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I bet I'll get yet another generic response about how it has been forwarded to the appropriate department for review.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The app Score Center was built by ESPN developers where as the Nokia app is done by Nokia. Have you used the Nokia app? Its not that good. It is basically a news reader. Updates on the Score Center app will come from ESPN and Nokias app will get updates from Nokias developers. Its really two different apps and Score Center is better. I wouldn't worry about development and updates ESPN will keep up there end if they don't let them know. When I had the L900 I used score center over the Nokia app anyways.
I literally used it twice - the first time it froze after alerting me about a pending update. When it finally opened post-update, I noticed everything simply linked to the website. I agree, the ScoreCenter app is way better, which is why I'm cocncerned about the perceived lack of support for it.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick update - I heard back from the ScoreCenter support team saying they have replicated the issue of the intrusive ads, and are working on trying to resolve this.

Frontline99

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement phone the other day and reinstalled the ESPN scorecenter app. I havent been able to use it yet. I just get, "problem loading data" did they kill the app?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Why haven't they updated ESPN sportscenter yet its disappointing.

I want to be able to pin my favourite teams and get headlines sent to the Live Tile.

News is great on WP7.5
Sports news not so much :(

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even used the Lumia app after the initial start up. ESPN's ScoreCenter is a lot better.

Also keep in mind that the Nokia app is exclusive to Nokia devices at the moment.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
does Scorecenter still lack notifications and a live tile? So much more they could do with that app. It pales compared to the iOS version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss