Galaxy S7 Edge or Lumia 950 XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've had the Galaxy S7 Edge for a couple of weeks now and it's a great device. But I miss my Windows Phone dearly. I've recently found a deal to get one for about $500. Would selling the S7 Edge be a good idea?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7 Edge or Lumia 950 XL

Well both are very different.... I'm using Lumia 950 ds and LG g4... Now it depends which platform u prefer... Thou my main device is Lumia 950

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site

As an normal user, from INDIA I wouldnt think of investing some 40k on a phone with software issues, keep on tuning the software with fixes in the name of updates and LACK of basic productive applications. You cant even find Cloudmagic or OWA, HERE maps which was the only strong point is GONE.

G7 is a better option if you want to have
1. Better applications
2. Better design and regular updates

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

As an normal user, from INDIA I wouldnt think of investing some 40k on a phone with software issues, keep on tuning the software with fixes in the name of updates and LACK of basic productive applications. You cant even find Cloudmagic or OWA, HERE maps which was the only strong point is GONE.

G7 is a better option if you want to have
1. Better applications
2. Better design and regular updates

To give u heads up...i never had any issues with my Lumia 950 love the phone...thou I use android also...with lg g4...and was looking at s7 edge...but after reading many issues with the s7 edge iam playing the waiting game...it has sd card issue to random reboots and lot of people are complaining...
Soo people who only complain about Wm bugs head over to android central and read about s7 edge issues...no OS is ever bug free infact windows mobile get updates often and iam totally lovin my Lumia 950 ds with red leather and gold rim ;)

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Testing an S7 best use have found for it is a paperweight. Reboots regularly, SD card messages, Bluetooth sometimes works, screen motion is nowhere near as smooth as WP battery life is around 3-5 hours. The test S5 i have runs better. 950XL i still think is the best phone and just gets better

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950ds and you are so full of **** bout the s7 rebooting regularly for Christ sake this 950 is a srry excuse for a ****in flagship and I don't even have any problems with it really but the phone just over all sucks

Oh, you do know that its perfectly possible that his S7 reboots regularly right? Unless you use his phone on a regular basis you can't say what is or isn't true.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the XL and sold it for a S7Edge. I no longer miss the live tiles. I thought I would but meh...I use the Arrow launcher, but even that I'm starting to have second guesses about since the Edge has those edge apps that show stock and new. I'm keep going back between the stock launcher and the Arrow launcher. And that camera OMG...best camera ever (that I've ever used on a phone). Battery last all day with 50% at least left by the time I turn in for the night. No reboots or lock ups.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Testing an S7 best use have found for it is a paperweight. Reboots regularly, SD card messages, Bluetooth sometimes works, screen motion is nowhere near as smooth as WP battery life is around 3-5 hours. The test S5 i have runs better. 950XL i still think is the best phone and just gets better

I only get the SD card message when I boot the phone...it's just a simple notification that is easily dismissed.

tfn

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the Galaxy s6 and a lumia 950 and just keep alternating between them like every 3 days or so .. I am both a long time android and windows phone user and both the phones are Awesome, although I love windowsphone more now.

So I would suggest you keep both and you wont have to buy another phone for the next 3 years and they support VR and are almost future proof:devil:

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the Galaxy s6 and a lumia 950 and just keep alternating between them like every 3 days or so .. I am both a long time android and windows phone user and both the phones are Awesome, although I love windowsphone more now.

So I would suggest you keep both and you wont have to buy another phone for the next 3 years and they support VR and are almost future proof:devil:

I agree. Get both of them if budget allows. I am alternating between a 950 XL and Note 5. Best of both worlds :)

brash47

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I got a Galaxy S7 Edge on T-mobile's buy one/get one free offer. I jumped out of my HTC One M8 Windows. I bought the 950XL when it was released last year at Thanksgiving. Going back and forth between the 2 for the last few weeks. Here are my impressions:

1. OS:
Windows is just a better OS. It is simpler, yet has more ways to customize. I'm not a social media user, I don't play games on my phone (I'm getting old people eyes and a 5.5 inch screen for gaming is not a good thing). Due to both of those reasons, I don't care how big the app store is.

Android, even in its latest form is confusing at best. I know I can spend time with it and learn to use it better, as I came from android. The email app is a mess. With my windows phone, I always know what mail is new or read, with android, there is more learning to find out what is new or you've read already. I don't like the plain look of all the tabs and backgrounds.

2. Calling:
Both phones have great calling ability. They sound great and have no problem connecting.

3. Build:
The S7 Edge is a much slimmer phone. It also fits in the hand better due to the smaller size and curved screen. That being said, I need a case for it to feel safe in my hand. I purchased a Tech21 basic black see through case...perfect.

I have a Mozo black leather case for the 950 XL. I love this case and always use it. Unfortunately, although its great, there is not that sense of any protection from it. It's just a great looking back cover.

Samsung clearly has the edge here as there are so many great cases that the top companies make for the Galaxy and iPhone line. The cases for the latest Lumias are clearly limited.

4. Screen:
The Lumia 950 XL clearly has the advantage here. Just take the phones into the bright sun and you will see. The Lumia's have always had great screens, even the 720p ones.

The S7 Edge seems washed out in bright light. Any other time, it looks just great.

5. Camera:
Seriously? Lumia 950 XL. I will stack this phone camera to any on the market, including the 1020. It is easy to use, always takes great pictures, even without changing the settings. Basic pictures are just great, as is the video. Zeiss is the difference.....

With the above being said, the Galaxy S7 Edge has a great camera. I just don't see my pics besting the Lumia. I know its personal preference, but I don't think any other phones can top MS right now.

6. Conclusions:
The Lumia 950 XL is a great phone, but not without many downfalls. For some reason, the bluetooth connections for use in all the cars I own just outright sucks. It connects then instantly disconnects often, will not stay connected, then connects for a few seconds, then disconnects. That is in my Ford. In my other car, I have an iSimple bluetooth/usb connecter attached to the stereo. I can never get this phone to connect for more than a few seconds, then it shuts the phone down and keeps rebooting. This is just horrible. This is my second Lumia 950XL. I warrantied the first one for this very problem. It is a hardware problem. I can't say its software as I've been through every windows 10 mobile build.

The camera button is awesome and always a great feature that no one else has. With the Mozo case, the phone feels good in the hand. I just think MS could have done a better job polishing W10 mobile before releasing it on this phone. The OS is 100 percent better than when it was released so I'll stick with Windows Phone as I still think the platform is better than anything else out there. The integration between phone and computer is an amazing thing now.

The Galaxy S7 Edge is a great phone. It's polished, the OS is smooth and it has great features. It just feels so fragile in the hand without and added case. But! I can pour champagne over it just like I don't care and act like I'm a big rap star! Although Android is a pretty much bug free OS, I'll stick with windows.

Because I could give a crap about most apps, my opinion was based mostly on the device and OS (without apps). I prefer windows and I'll keep using my Lumia 950 XL most of the time. The seemless bond between my computer and phone (including emails, messages, and other small tweaks) is just too much for me to move back to Android. I'll use the Android phone when I need a phone that is insured by the phone company (when traveling, doing outdoor things, etc.)

brash

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We respect all choices here and must uphold any members respectful participation no matter which platform.
There will be no tolerance for trashing or any insults directed against anyone for using or switching to an alternative.
1: Please stay on the topic at hand
2: Allow others to participate without having their personal choice degraded with unacceptable replies.

Gaurav Sag

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy S7 Edge for a couple of weeks now and it's a great device. But I miss my Windows Phone dearly. I've recently found a deal to get one for about $500. Would selling the S7 Edge be a good idea?

The Galaxy S7 Edge is a phone which lives and dies by its looks. If you're only interested in the power then just go Galaxy S7. surely have some good feature so go for it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downloadtorose